Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-08-11, 01:25 PM   #1
Belegdol

Default [gnome-shell] twinview expanded desktop shrinks to clone while watching a video

Hi,

this has been happening for a while but I never got to report the problem properly. In brief, the problem is that after watching a video in gnome-mplayer on an external screen for several minutes, the screen would blink and twinview will go into clone mode. This is how do you get there:
  • plug in an external screen into the DVI output
  • start nvidia-settings, detect displays and enable the screen to be on the RHS of the laptop panel
  • start watching a movie in gnome-mplayer (it uses vdpau output)
  • wait
Then the screen will go into clone mode - maybe it has something to do with screensaver. This is on Fedora 16 x86_64, on a Clevo P150HM laptop and Gnome-shell 3.2, but I was observing similar problem with Fedora 15 and gnome-shell 3.0 too. These packages might also be relevant:
Quote:
$ rpm -q mplayer gnome-mplayer xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
mplayer-1.0-0.126.20110816svn.fc16.x86_64
gnome-mplayer-1.0.5b1-2.fc16.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-285.05.09-1.fc16.x86_64
I am attaching nvidia-bug-report.log, the issue mentioned above has occurred twice during the X session. After the first one I rearranged the screens using nvidia-settings and got back to the original layout.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (146.1 KB, 44 views)
Belegdol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 01:57 PM   #2
Belegdol

Default Re: [gnome-shell] twinview expanded desktop shrinks to clone while watching a video

Upon closer inspection (I attached a new nvidia-bug-report.log which should have less cruft in it) it seems like nothing interesting is sent to Xorg.log. On the other hand, the problem happened roughly 5 minutes into the video and I have set the screen (in system preferences → screen → turn off after) to switch off after five minutes of inactivity. Changing that to 1 minute makes the problem appear after one minute.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (62.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 12-01-11, 11:24 AM   #3
Belegdol

Default Re: [gnome-shell] twinview expanded desktop shrinks to clone while watching a video

Gnome-mplayer was unrelated to this problem, it was just triggering it due to a packaging bug interfering with gnome-screensaver inhibition.
On the other hand, I have found a better way to reproduce the issue - it is enough to switch to other tty and back. Complete reproduction instructions:
- plug in the dvi cable
- fire nvidia-settings
- detect displays
- enable the second one in twinview mode, right of the laptop screen
- apply, hit OK
- switch to vt2
As usual, a new nvidia-bug-report.log is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (88.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-18-11, 12:33 PM   #4
Belegdol

Bump.
Old 12-29-11, 05:28 PM   #5
toskator

Hi,

I think I am having the same issue. I also do run gnome-shell 3.2 and suspect it's got something to do with the gnome3 xrandr plugin, but I am unsure. For me, the bug is usually triggered when skyping and not moving the mouse for 10 minutes, eventhough all screensaver and dpms functions are disabled. It also occasionally happens when watching a movie with mplayer, and never when actively working on the computer.

I run a two monitor twinview setup, main laptop screen is 1400x1050 and secondary screen is 1280x1024. Metamode when everything is working: 1 - "CRT: 1280x1024 +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +1280+0"

After the screen flicker, the setup is mangled and the output on the screens appears cloned. MetaMode: 1 - "CRT:1400x1050 @2680x1050 +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select @2680x1050 +0+0".

I am attaching two bug reports, one right after the bug occured with the screwed up screens, and the second one once I rearranged the screens in nvidia-settings again to their proper order.

I'm using 295.09 and can only test this version because I was hit with the internal laptop screen is not recognized bug in the previous versions.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: gz broken-nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (67.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: gz fixed-nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (67.6 KB, 30 views)
toskator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 08:50 PM   #6
toskator

.... I also have lots of those in my syslog:

NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
NVRM: os_map_kernel_space: can't map 0xc0000000, invalid context!
NVRM: Xid (0000:01:00): 6, PE0000 0100 00000006 00003300 00000000 ff815f61

Any help is appreciated.
toskator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 03:18 PM   #7
Belegdol

Still an issue with 295.33.