Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-12, 10:50 PM   #1
jkmetal

Default Can we all be honest about STALKER

I loved Stalker. I loved Stalker Clear Sky. I loved Stalker Call of Pripyat. Many of us on this forum do. I think I can safely say that all of us are saddened by the news of Stalker 2's demise.
I know I am.

But we already have a thread on that topic. A wake, so to say. No this topic is about selling out. No the Stalker 2 team did not sell out. Not for a second. They made money on consistently on the series. The real sellouts are the entire PC gaming industry.

Stalker was born a little more than 10 years ago. A playable version of the 2004 alpha is available online. A different age in computer gaming. No world of warcraft, no SWTOR and no guildwars. Just a huge world with huge draw distances and big inventories, lots of text; plenty of single player depth. A game that could only play well on a computer. A traditional computer game.

2012. WOW has released so many expansions that its been reduced to a carbon copy of kung fu panda. Guild wars 2 promises to revitalize a genre that really took off during Stalker's alpha. (2004) The stalker team has battle through great financial trouble and IP rights to create a sequal to their unqiuely PC experience. They find an investor, yet cannot find the money or clout to buy back their idea. Who knows what happened behind closed doors. The end result is that Stalker 2 is assassinated. The team moves on and finds money for an MMO.

I have a few questions... First, would they have been able to use the STALKER IP if creating a STALKER MMO had been the goal from the get go? We all know the answer to that one. If they have surrendered some control over the creation to allow money to come in for console development. We know that answer as well.

Stalker 2 was not worth the money needed to create it. Not in the eyes of investors nor the holder of the IP rights. "Too niche" they said. "Not worth the money to create. Look at (insert mmo/console game), would stalker 2 have sold as much?" Monthly subscriptions, FTP, DLC and the "service" model are the order of the day.

So the Stalker 2 team took the high road. They decided to honor Stalker's memory the best they could, by laying the name to rest and attempting to bring the spirit with them on a new adventure. Who knows what the result will be. I know that Survarium may be the first MMO I ever play. Keep on keeping on stalker team.

Stalker 1: Over 250 hours (10 1/2 days)
Stalker Clear Sky: Over 100 hours (4 1/2 days)
Stalker Call of Priypat: 80 hours (3 1/3 days)

Total $ spent= $90. ( I brought Stalker 1 from a friend in 2007 for $20, boxed copy)

21 cents an hour for entertainment.

Thank you team Stalker.
Old 04-27-12, 10:55 PM   #2
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Can we all be honest about STALKER

I'll be honest about it. It sucks. I bought it and had fun for about 2 hours, and then it started to get really stupid. No idea why people like it, but I'll allow it.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 11:00 PM   #3
jkmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
I'll be honest about it. It sucks. I bought it and had fun for about 2 hours, and then it started to get really stupid. No idea why people like it, but I'll allow it.
I respect your opinion. Like I said, most people on this forum enjoyed the Stalker series. My friend who sold it to me for $20 in 2007 felt the same way as you do. It is a bit of a niche game. First person rpg science ficition open world game. Its a bit of a mouthful and all of the games took a while to get into.
Old 04-27-12, 11:27 PM   #4
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
It is one of those type of games where you love it or hate it.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 11:37 PM   #5
mojoman0

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the game, but mostly because I've been desensitized by the paradigm shift of new games doing the work for you. Stalker was a throwback to games where you had to run around to every corner of every map 12 times to find out where you were supposed to go before you forgot what you were looking for. The combat was brutally hard and required planning. After you've played call of duty or most sp games from the last 7 years you get used to the giant arrow on the top telling you to mindlessly follow this corridor forward and press the glowing neon button in front of you by pressing F.

I would have enjoyed the game more if I had played it as a kid and had time to challenge myself but I just lost patience and have moved on in that regard. I'd say a perfect blend of newer simpler games, with a dash of more thoughtful and mind engaging games is Deus Ex HR
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 05:22 AM   #6
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I loved it. It had a great atmosphere. It was also buggy as all hell and user unfriendly. :: but I loved it.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 06:56 AM   #7
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I loved it. It had a great atmosphere. It was also buggy as all hell and user unfriendly. :: but I loved it.
This
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 09:46 AM   #8
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

I loved the huge open go anywhere environment. I love the fact that I wasn't tied down to a linear path and I like how everything in the world was dynamic with the weather, day/night/etc.

My biggest beef with it is that I never really felt any connection to any type of story or any characters and also, the controls and mechanics of the game are very unrefined and clunky feeling. Metro 2033 is incredibly similar in that regard.

The quests were ok but not great and I think that the environments themselves getting to run around in them doing whatever I want made the fetch quests not as tedious as they feel in other games.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-12, 05:34 PM   #9
Cylphid

STALKER shoc is the only one I finished out of the 3.

I loved the atmosphere of the game, always dark and foreboding with the very real sense that you had to be extremely careful about how you approached any given area, or else.

Oh, +1 to the lack of hand holding. I loved that.

The bugs were brutal, but the feeling that I just had to see the next monster/artifact/area/whatever...revealed, made tolerating them very worth it.

If another game could capture what shoc did I would happily be all over it.

I do own the 2nd and 3rd games, but they fell far short of the original imo. Although I have hours invested in them, I still have not finished either.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 06:05 PM   #10
crainger

How cool were was the weather? When ever it rained I'd go hide in whatever old shack was close and just watch. Especially the lightning. The only other game with such immersive weather was The Witcher 1, maybe the Sims 2. ::

I also had a cool mod where it was way darker, and gave the enemies realistic vision in the dark, so you could sneak up on them with night vision. Forget what it was called. Never found it again. ::
Old 04-28-12, 07:16 PM   #11
Yaboze

The weather was awesome. It would get windy and overcast, then thunder and it would rain.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 07:22 PM   #12
crainger

Then you'd get a Zone Blowout. and have to run. I think blowouts were disabled in the stock game though?