Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-12, 11:23 AM   #37
dabeegguy

Default Re: Dual card setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious View Post
Well I don't know about the copmitational device type of setup but I think You would want an Xorg to look *something* like this:
snip

This is all assuming that on each card its two DFP ports are DFP-0 and DFP-2 (this is usually right for dual DVI + HDMI port cards my gtx 460s) these would need to be DFP-0 and DFP-1 if just dual DVI cards.

Also its assuming all monitors have working/normal EDID. This would be using two cards (one on 134 PCI bus and other on 132) this would need to be edited for your actual bus ID.

Here is mine:

I can't remember how I got those values but the log file does mention them:

Code:
(II) Feb 09 00:44:36 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce GTX 460 (GF104) at PCI:132:0:0 (GPU-0)
(II) Feb 09 00:44:37 NVIDIA(1): NVIDIA GPU GeForce GTX 460 (GF104) at PCI:134:0:0 (GPU-1)
The above would result in a 3840x2400 virtual desktop. Not sure where the original comment about 7680x7680 came from. My desktop is 8000x2400:

root@sigito: 07:31 AM :~# xdpyinfo | grep -i dimen
dimensions: 8000x2400 pixels (2709x813 millimeters)

I hope this helped.
This is VERY VERY interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I could save my present xorg.conf file. Copy your suggested xorg file in as xorg.conf. Save it in place editing so to have correct information re: video cards and monitor brands/sizes etc.

What do I do after the save?
How do I create that very nice large destop?

This is headed to where I want to go - - thank you thank you very very much for your time and assistance!!
dabeegguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 03:45 AM   #38
jimduchek

Default Re: Dual card setup

Attached is my xorg.conf file. It's... complicated. I have 4 monitors on two identical 460's. Consists of 4 24" 1920x1200 monitors. Screen '0' is the center screen. Screen 3 is directly above it. Screens 1 and 2 are rotated 90" on either side of screen 0. There's custom EDID's for two of the monitors, which you'd want to nuke. Also, I'm not positive the PowerMizer settings do anything other than default (I was messing with it..)

I also use a xinerama library that 'fakes' the two portrait monitors to appear to the system as two 1200x960 'monitors' apiece. It's a really, really nice setup

Do note that if both the monitors on a single card do not have _identical_ modelines (I got lucky, myself), that card will never 'throttle down' from the max performance level.

If your two cards (and your motherboard) works with SLI, you may to be able to use the BaseMosaic option or SLI Mosaic to get full acceleration, as well. The docs say it only works with Quadro's, but I've heard rumours it works with some Fermi cards if they're identical. My motherboard doesn't support it, and I'm rotating two monitors, so it wouldn't work anyway.

Anyway, I haven't read this whole thread but my conf might help you.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (4.5 KB, 69 views)
jimduchek is offline   Reply With Quote