Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-07-03, 01:41 PM   #1
Rudi22

Exclamation Slackware Linux

Hi There,

I'm (linux newbie) currently using Slackware Linux 9 and i've used the default install kernel. When I run the installer it can not find a correct kernel and sends me to the ftp site of nvidia. Here he can not find a appropriate kernel for my system. After that i've downloaden the kernel source and put it in the /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/ directory and tried to install the driver using the "-e" for expert installation and typed in the correct path.
However i get the following message:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR: The kernel header file
'/lib/modules/2.4.20/build/include/linux/modversions.h' does not exist.
The most likely reason for this is that the kernel header files in
'/lib/modules/2.4.20/build/include' have not been configured.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would appriciate any help.
Rudi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-03, 07:25 PM   #2
yaarg

Default Re: Slackware Linux

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudi22
Hi There,

I'm (linux newbie) currently using Slackware Linux 9 and i've used the default install kernel. When I run the installer it can not find a correct kernel and sends me to the ftp site of nvidia. Here he can not find a appropriate kernel for my system. After that i've downloaden the kernel source and put it in the /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/ directory and tried to install the driver using the "-e" for expert installation and typed in the correct path.
However i get the following message:
ERROR: The kernel header file
'/lib/modules/2.4.20/build/include/linux/modversions.h' does not exist.
The most likely reason for this is that the kernel header files in
'/lib/modules/2.4.20/build/include' have not been configured.
I would appriciate any help.
You don't actually require the kernel source just the kernel headers. In Slackware they are installed by default at <code>/usr/include</code> so to run the installer you need to tell it they are there like so:
<code>
sh *installer name here* --kernel-include-path /usr/include
</code<
yaarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-03, 06:59 AM   #3
Rudi22

Thank you for your reply, it worked!

Greets,

Rudi
Rudi22 is offline   Reply With Quote