Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-08-12, 03:59 PM   #61
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
Show me one thing that isn't factual about what I sad.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 04:16 PM   #62
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Slawter! You're so mellow!

When is the last time you partook in a healthy debate? Might do you some good, instead of bottling it all up. Be careful holding it all in like that, you may just pop some day.

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 04:23 PM   #63
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop



Dag-blast you and your irrefutable logic!

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 09:51 PM   #64
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
lol at the Apple hate in here...
Yeah, it's quite silly.

Back on the Windows discussion, business is all about the $$$$. If they can "get by" with $200 ghetto eMachines instead of spending a little more and getting something better with a warranty, they will do it. Trust me, I see it every day. I pretty much get told "Whatever the cheapest option is, that's what I want". Boils my blood, the stupidity of my clients, especially when they skip out on warranties or don't upgrade when the warranty goes out.

I haven't turned on my Windows 8 VM since the week the consumer preview came out. Probably won't touch it again until the final release and I need to upgrade to it at work.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 05:09 PM   #65
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,869
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Apple knows how to sell a product but if you think that's all they are, then you're wrong. Apple is the motor behind the IT/Entertainment industry.
How so?
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 08:28 AM   #66
Classhole
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
Thats not necessarily true.

I fix iMacs and MacPros on occasion, and they are not that difficult to get apart and back together with a little bit of patience and simple research. And finding reasonably priced parts are not that hard either.
And if the system is under warrany, Apples support is second to none.

As far as Macs being top of the line and gorgeous, I would have to agree with you on that

Yes, they are a bit pricier, but you get what you pay for in most cases. No one builds a system as well designed as Apple. Not at least in what I have found in the Wintel market. Their consumer multimedia software is also leaps ahead of most anything in the Windows market also. And their ecosystem is also one of the best when it comes to devices (phones, tablets, TV, movie streaming, music, etc). Those are just a few of the many things that they show an equal or better advantage over Wintel.
I run both systems, so I am not a fanboy by any means. I run Wintel for gaming and because I primarily support them in the field. But I wouldn't be caught dead buying a system from a Windows-based OEM, due to the shoddy workmanship they put into them typically (excluding laptops of course, which would be almost impossible to build.) I build my own Wintel boxes, and have done so since my last OEM box in '98. Nothing has come out since that really impresses me.

But to each their own
Classhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 04:11 AM   #67
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,869
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classhole View Post
Yes, they are a bit pricier, but you get what you pay for in most cases. No one builds a system as well designed as Apple.
That's simply not true. I posted the research a page or so back, it has been found that Asus and Lenovo on average produce superior hardware to Apple. And when you look back at it, it is true. There have been countless design flaws with macbooks and imacs having everything from overheating problems due to faulty cooling designs to batches of bad hard drives (which is natural because apple does use the cheapest hard drives and memory that money can buy)

Worse is when they do have obvious design flaws, apple doesn't acknowledge them, and in fact even has a history of deleting posts on their forums when people complain about these problems.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/a...-4-piece-on-f/

Not just on the iphone either, they do it for all of their products.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 06:20 AM   #68
General Lee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

I'm gonna start my own hardware/software company. I already have a name, which I will not reveal because someone else would snap it up before I can trademark or copyright it or whatever.

I will say this, the world will be blown away by the fact that a redneck came up with this...all except for the name, of course.

  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-12, 09:20 PM   #69
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,869
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
To name a few big examples:

-iPod changed the market for mobile music players. Everyone else followed.
Apple followed everybody else. In fact iphone is probably one of the least featured portable music player, always has been. Hell they don't even support FLAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
-iTunes changed the way customers buy music. Started the digital music distribution era in a big way. Expanded to other categories than just music. Everyone else can't keep up.
No they didn't start it. The only thing that I think apple really did was strong arm the RIAA to allow DRM free music. THAT I will give apple credit for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
-iPhone made the smartphones smart and revolutionized touch interfaces completely. Everyone else copied it.
-App Store, nothing else to add...
-iPad kick-started the tablet era after countless failed tries by others with bad products. Everyone else tries to keep up.
Anyways how is any of this IT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
-high quality notebooks. By now, as you mention, others like HP, Dell and Lenovo are doing the same, thanks to Apple. Before, PC notebooks were cheaply made except for some high end products like Voodoo PC for example.
How exactly did apple influence that? I've owned many decent laptops since back in 1999. I have a dell inspiron from 2001 that still works fine.

And apple doesn't exactly make good laptops, a huge number of the ones they've made have anything from overheating problems due to bad HSF design, to faulty motherboards due to cheap caps.

You never hear about it on the apple forums because apple always deletes those posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
-Apple forced Intel to come up with usable ultra-low-power mobile CPUs and later made SSDs the default option for their MacBook Airs, which everyone is now trying to catch up to with Intel's Ultrabooks.
Intel was doing that long before Apple went x86. The intel Core architecture was based upon the Pentium M, because the Pentium 4 was just garbage. AMD was kicking intels ass around that period because intel stupidly optimized their processors to have the most megahertz rather than the most speed, and they reached a brick wall with their crappy netburst architecture due to heat issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
-Apple is forcing Intel to come up with faster integrated GPUs.
Actually AMD is doing that. AMD is currently killing intel in the mobile space, and intel wants that market back. In the embedded space, nVidia is killing intel right now.

As a matter of fact, Intel is currently working on GPU/CPU SoC's, and Apple will never be a customer for that (they prefer ARM SoC's for that application.)
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 09:54 AM   #70
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
Apple followed everybody else. In fact iphone is probably one of the least featured portable music player, always has been. Hell they don't even support FLAC.
I disagree. Plus, I'm sure EVERYONE has their entire music library in FLAC.

Quote:
No they didn't start it. The only thing that I think apple really did was strong arm the RIAA to allow DRM free music. THAT I will give apple credit for.
I can't say much about this, but then again, I don't buy music from iTunes. I usually buy from Amazon since it's DRM free and usually cheaper when purchasing whole albums.

Quote:
How exactly did apple influence that? I've owned many decent laptops since back in 1999. I have a dell inspiron from 2001 that still works fine.
slaWter did say "high end laptops", not just "laptops". After owning many PC laptops myself and working on the best of the best for many clients ($2K+ builds), Dell and other OEMs still cannot make a quality product like Apple. My MBP from 2010 still beats what Dell offers today in design and quality IMO. Notice I didn't say "OMG it's FASTER!". The hardware comparison debate is another discussion for another thread

Quote:
And apple doesn't exactly make good laptops, a huge number of the ones they've made have anything from overheating problems due to bad HSF design, to faulty motherboards due to cheap caps.

You never hear about it on the apple forums because apple always deletes those posts.
IMO Apple makes the best laptops in the world when you look at design and quality. Dell makes some high end laptops that are "ok". You may find that there are some lemons floating around here and there but I'm not saying that Apple is perfect by any means. My MBP gets warm when I have a ton of things going on at the same time, but then again, so does any other laptop.

Have you ever owned and/or used a Macbook Pro in the past 2-3 years? If so, then I respect your opinion and we can move on buddy. If not, I'm sorry but I don't think you can get a fair opinion.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 10:06 AM   #71
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Not sure why I'm chiming in. Maybe I'm just that bored.

First of all the last Apple device I owned was an APPLE IIe back in the day. Not gonna' claim to have first hand knowledge.

However, working for the GeekSquad we do the bulk of the repair work in my area. We do have some mom and pop repair shops but we see a far greater volume of repairs. Granted most of those are Windows based units ranging from old Windows 98 Pentium III based rigs (retrieving data off them for the client, we don't repair units that old due to scarcity in parts) up to bleeding edge custom builds. This includes Apples as well.

Going off of my experience with the Apple computers we get in for repair, and the ones we have on our sales floor- my opinion is that you arguably get what you pay for. I don't know about the build quality of the PCBs used, the capacitors, etc. Yes the Macs due cost a lot more than an entry level Windows based PC. Compare the hardware though and the difference, it seems, is understandable. By hardware I mean compare the CPU, the amount of RAM, the speed of the RAM, the HDD size and specs, the video card specs, the quality of the display- furthermore and much to my surprise, iMacs aren't too terribly difficult to work on. In fact, I'd have to say the iMac is much easier to dissassemble for repair than most Windows based all-in-ones.

I have no real preference regarding Windows or MacOS. Honestly, if my entire game library could work in MacOS without a performance penalty or a penalty of any kind, I'd not have any bones about going MacOS. I'll never buy a Mac just because the price is absurd. My computer as is can stand toe to toe with almost any Mac you'd find in a big box retailer. I'd just go with a hackintosh.

Infact, if MS doesn't do something to make windows 8 easier to navigate with a keyboard and mouse, I may just migrate over to MacOS. Keeping Windows 7 so as to be able to still enjoy windows-only games.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 01:14 PM   #72
mojoman0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 3,566
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

I put osx on a vm a few months ago before an interview with apple. I didn't want to admit that I'd never really used a recent version of the mac os haha. I was really surprised it has a built in scripting tool. Where the hell is this in windows??? I still don't know the easiest way to make a simple windows program/script. Do you still have to make a ghetto batch file?

The one thing I don't think I would ever get over in osx tho is that you still have to quit apps from the pulldown bar. They really never gave in to the whole windows notion..understandable but I hate their implementation
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.