Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-02, 02:51 AM   #1
zeBarbu

Default First monitor is black when going to virtual console, when using twinView

Hi all.

I'm using twinView on my gf4Ti. It works ok, 2 crt connected.
The problem is:
One crt (connected to lcd, and considered as 'primary' by X) is a multi-frequence monitor
One crt (connected to crt port, as 'secondary') is a old mono-frequence (fixed at 1280x1024).

From boot to the start of X, the first monitor displays text mode nice (and second monitor flashes, but I don't care: i switch it off). Then, in X, 2 monitors works ok, but when I switch to virtual console (ctrl+alt+F1 for example), the primary monitor goes to black, and secondary monitor displays the text mode (which it can't do, as i can't have 1280x1024 in text mode, even in vesa modes with fb => it flashes).

Ok, I could try to change monitors (multi frequence to crt output, and monofreq to lcd), but in windows (which I have on the same computer) i use only one screen (=> it would be the mono frequence, same problem). Plus in Linux, many apps use the First monitor only (start of the nvidia frame buffer)...

Any issue?

Thanks in advance
Fred
Old 08-13-02, 03:03 AM   #2
Thunderbird

There's nothing you can really do now. It is a driver bug. More people have this problem. It seems to be even more strange. Windows sees the CRT head as the primary screen. Linux sees the second head as primary. This likely causes the problems with VT switching.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-03, 09:35 PM   #3
plh844

Is there anyway to get Linux to recognize the DVI head as secondary and the CRT head as primary? It would be an extremely nice to have things stop popping up in the middle of my secondary monitor (attacted to the DVI).
plh844 is offline   Reply With Quote