Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-29-09, 09:43 AM   #1
technoid

Default Windows XP Search not working

I don't know when this happened but when I right click on a drive or folder and use the "Search" feature it comes up with an empty window. Just now I right clicked on Drive C and chose Search and the Window that opened was empty except for the Menu below the Caption Bar. The two panes are there but they're both empty. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it. I've looked around using Google some and tried a few things but nothing has worked so far. I forgot exactly what I tried, ha, slept since then. But it was doing something from a Microsoft knowledge base that re-registered some dlls. Okay I did a search and here's what I did but it didn't work.

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
Old 04-11-10, 04:53 AM   #2
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n
Default Re: Windows XP Search not working

Try opening windows explorer (WinKey + E), then click the search button in the toolbar at the top.

Also, check:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and see if there is a NoFind option. Make sure its set to 0, or just delete it. Also, if you installed windows desktop search, uninstall it by running this command:
Code:
%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKB940157$\spuninst\spuninst.exe
also, try re-registering... (you can skip jscript.dll since you already did that one)
Code:
regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\srchasst\srchui.dll
regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
And reinstalling the srchasst.inf file might work.. IT should be located in C:\windows\inf - just right-click >> install

Last thing, open up TweakUI and goto the desktop tab, check the box for "Search results".

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 12:47 PM   #3
technoid

Yeah... I already installed Windows XP again a while back and it works fine now. I do run an AntiVirus program so I'm not sure how it happened, but it's fixed now.
Old 02-24-12, 03:18 AM   #4
ThomasAnderson

well, first u have to check for the viruses in our system because its a virus effect. Install a antivirus in your system and fully scan it so that it will clean your windows & restart.

After restart follow the registry tweak to fix the search.
ThomasAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 05:25 PM   #5
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasAnderson View Post
well, first u have to check for the viruses in our system because its a virus effect. Install a antivirus in your system and fully scan it so that it will clean your windows & restart.

After restart follow the registry tweak to fix the search.
Hello Mr. Anderson. Thank your for your suggestion, Mr. Anderson.

Have a good day, Mr. Anderson.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote