Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-21-12, 01:58 AM   #13
Redeemed

Default Re: Expert Advice.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
Extremely good piece of advice. I will do that thanks!
You're welcome!

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 12:10 AM   #14
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Still pondering.....it's more of a want rather than need. So I guess I will wait till end of year then, either get a new CPU/Mobo or GPU.
If i get new cpu i will get corsair h100 or h80 and then use the water cooling set with GPU plate and Watercool the gpu...so till December then!
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 01:27 AM   #15
candle_86

Send a message via MSN to candle_86 Send a message via Yahoo to candle_86

id do CPU any day, it just makes more sense, your GPU is fine for those games, its your CPU especially in MMO's thats hurting you
candle_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 07:32 AM   #16
grey_1

Quote:
Still pondering.....it's more of a want rather than need. So I guess I will wait till end of year then, either get a new CPU/Mobo or GPU.
If i get new cpu i will get corsair h100 or h80 and then use the water cooling set with GPU plate and Watercool the gpu...so till December then!
Did you do what Rudehog suggested? What were the results?

Will higher minimums in game keep your girl from banishing you from the bedroom? Spend the cash on her and she might overclock you!

I'd go for the cpu myself - the 580 is still a powerhouse of a card and higher minimums can really make a nice difference, especially if you're banished and need something to kill the time til your exile ends....
grey_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 08:36 AM   #17
MUYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Did you do what Rudehog suggested? What were the results?

Will higher minimums in game keep your girl from banishing you from the bedroom? Spend the cash on her and she might overclock you!

I'd go for the cpu myself - the 580 is still a powerhouse of a card and higher minimums can really make a nice difference, especially if you're banished and need something to kill the time til your exile ends....
The thing is i clocked the cpu down its default...and did feel a lil drop.hardly noticeable..but i didnt do a scientific study like take fraps ....
Corsair 600T Case
Old 06-21-12, 11:58 AM   #18
grey_1

Quote:
The thing is i clocked the cpu down its default...and did feel a lil drop.hardly noticeable..but i didnt do a scientific study like take fraps ....
Might not really be worth it then. How's game play at your preferred settings? I just go by how smooth it is to me at a given setting. If it's plenty playable regardless of what Fraps says, I ignore the upgrade bug.

Then again, what ever game you tested that on might be strictly GPU dependent. Another game that utilizes the cpu more heavily may show more of a difference.
Old 06-21-12, 02:09 PM   #19
Redeemed

I agree with Grey. I'm in a similar scenario- I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want to upgrade my video card. However I can't really say it is out of need. For all intents and purposes I can play every game out there if not on the highest in-game settings then pretty darn near them. So as much as I may *want* to upgrade, I'm thinking I'm gonna' hold off until I can purchase a single card that will provided a 100% performance increase across the board consistently for around $200 or so. Probably gonna' be waiting for another year or two. Also might pickup Bob's 5870 for some CrossFire goodness as that'd most certainly tide me over while I wait the next two years.

You CPU, honestly, isn't going to be that much slower than mine if I have turbo disabled and HT off (which I do) so it's should be plenty to push most any game, especially if you OC that CPU (mine isn't).

I'd take the time with FRAPs and experiment with all your favorite games. Play them with everything bone stock. Then play them with that 580 oc'd. Then play them again with the 580 stock and the CPU oc'd. See which component when oc'd offers the greatest increase across the board and that'll let you know which one is holding you back. And then for kicks, try those games with both your CPU and 580 oc'd. Who knows, maybe you'll find that with both of them oc'd you really wont need to upgrade and you can either save that cash or put it towards bonus points with your lady.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 03:19 PM   #20
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post

I'd take the time with FRAPs and experiment with all your favorite games. Play them with everything bone stock. Then play them with that 580 oc'd. Then play them again with the 580 stock and the CPU oc'd. See which component when oc'd offers the greatest increase across the board and that'll let you know which one is holding you back. And then for kicks, try those games with both your CPU and 580 oc'd. Who knows, maybe you'll find that with both of them oc'd you really wont need to upgrade and you can either save that cash or put it towards bonus points with your lady.
Yep, this is the best course of action imo. You can post this in 20 different forums and get 20 different reasons why or why not.

An hours worth of testing will tell you exactly what you need to know.

Old 06-21-12, 07:34 PM   #21
mullet

mobo+cpu/air cooled/memory.

Done. Huge boost all the way around.
Old 06-21-12, 10:23 PM   #22
MUYA

I play SWTOR and Age of Conan (both MMOs) now exclusively. Every now and then Iw ill fire up Civ 5 or Skyrim.

July I will purchase another MMO - Secret World!

So for me its mostly MMO games.

I know for definite, Age or Conan (as it has been for the last 4 years) and for Secret World (through beta testing) are GPU bound as they push the graphics a lot!

SWTOR??? I dunno coz its 2007 graphics but I suffer lag..but mainly when servers are heavy so that might be the server side problem?

So that is why, when I really thought about it...I decided to lay off the upgrade...until December. By then, my CPU and mobo combo would be 3.5 years old and GPU 2 years (i think) and that in terms of computer hardware is like a decade or more!
Corsair 600T Case
Old 06-22-12, 05:07 AM   #23
grey_1

Mmo's - that stuff will kill ya!

Like mullet said, that upgrade would show definite benefits, but server-side lag, not sure anything you can do will help that.
Old 09-04-12, 11:33 PM   #24
MUYA

I just bit the bullet and bought new CPU and GPU Refer to updated sig
Corsair 600T Case