Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 600 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-12, 12:09 PM   #13
Ninja Prime

Default Re: GeForce 600 Roadmap Partially Exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
How is selling a mid-range card at enthusiast prices a poor business move? I'm not exactly positive that Nvidia didn't hold back based on how well this card ended up. Releasing their best card first when this one is already faster than anything out there seems like that would be a bad move IMO. Now they can release a new card in the next month at a higher price point than what was currently the high end price and make a killing, or completely cripple ATI profits by dropping the price on the 680 and making them follow suit.

As far preventing forward progress, they don't exactly need much progress. We are still in the same console generation we were in nearly a decade ago and we won't be seeing a new generation for at least a couple of years. The amount of games that will require something better than what is currently available any time soon is slim to none.
I'm not sure you guys are understanding the situation... Its not the same as last gen. 28nm is vastly more expensive than 40nm was. These cards are at $499 because 294mm^2 costs nearly what 550mm^2 did a when fermi launched.

Quote:
That kind of makes me wonder how much faster GK110 will be?
At this point I donno if there is a GK110, if there is its probably just a refresh part like 580 was over 480 i.e. not that great. They can't go much bigger without making a card that costs $800.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 01:28 PM   #14
i SPY

imo 685gtx price is ok for that true flagship, 680gtx is really a 350$ card but since it rivaled 7970 in most games(sucks in compute and OC). doh yeah lets all use 500$..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
That kind of makes me wonder how much faster GK110 will be?
Calling it a 685 and only pricing it $100 higher... unless of course the 680 will be a bit cheaper by that time or receive a good price drop after the 685 launch.

I think it's going to be like socket 2011 has been with Intel, faster, but not really enough to justify the money for anyone not a complete enthusiast.

Locally, 7970's have dropped $60 and 680's are being gouged by $80-100, so if I were buying now I'd probably just go with a 7970 since the extra power/heat is worth it to me just to have the extra VRAM.
Not yet, but when you put in IB-E 8core (16threads) its a good investment.

I checked for my next upgrade cpu/mobo/ram and then i saw this

2700K+200e mobo+16gb 2133mhz combo 672€
3820+240e mobo+16gb 2133mhz combo 679€

3820 @ 4.7ghz ~ 1.36v is about the limit, ok it can do 5ghz but at ~ 1.48v...Imo 4.6ghz should be good enough for 2-3 years, until my next upgrade 8core IB-e
intel Q9450 @ 3.656Ghz [1.3875v, LLC off]| GA-X48-DS5 [Memory Enhance: Turbo]|MSi N570GTX TwinFrozrIII OC/PowerEdition|Kingston HyperX 4x2GB PC 8500 @ 1097Mhz [5-5-5-18, 2.25v]| Creative X-FI Pro [SB046A]| Tagan PipeRock 600w [48A]

i SPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 02:35 PM   #15
ninelven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime
At this point I donno if there is a GK110
Since Nvidia has already promised chips for HPC purposes to companies like Cray who is using GK110 for Blue Waters...

Yes, it will be large & expensive....
ninelven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 03:15 PM   #16
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninelven View Post
Since Nvidia has already promised chips for HPC purposes to companies like Cray who is using GK110 for Blue Waters...

Yes, it will be large & expensive....
I suspect this is just a HPC modified version of kepler. Notice how the 680 sucks at most compute, yet they still want compute market, that means they pretty much have to make a compute-specific part. I doubt it will be too much bigger or power hungry, thats the opposite of what HPC users want. I'm guessing it will be under 225w TDP.
Old 03-28-12, 03:38 PM   #17
ninelven

Quote:
I suspect this is just a HPC modified version of kepler.
??? In other words, a completely different chip, AKA GK110. Larger than 256-bit memory interface, ECC, 1/2 rate DP, more cache/registers per CC, all which takes considerable die space... It will also likely have a higher ALU:TEX ratio. If you don't want to call it GK110, fine. But it will be a larger, completely different chip... certainly not GK104.

Quote:
I doubt it will be too much bigger or power hungry, thats the opposite of what HPC users want.
It is the compute/DP performance per watt that matters...
Old 03-28-12, 05:06 PM   #18
Ninja Prime

Quote:
??? In other words, a completely different chip, AKA GK110. Larger than 256-bit memory interface, ECC, 1/2 rate DP, more cache/registers per CC, all which takes considerable die space... It will also likely have a higher ALU:TEX ratio. If you don't want to call it GK110, fine. But it will be a larger, completely different chip... certainly not GK104.
Which is not a desktop GPU chip. Which was the point. Poeple were asking about GK110 in the idea of waiting for it if its going to be much faster, but if its a compute-specific chip then it doesnt really matter. Understand?

Quote:
It is the compute/DP performance per watt that matters
Yeah, and big hot chips are worse at perf/watt. Hence it probably won't be big and hot. Just like Pitcairn blows away Tahtis perf/watt.
Old 03-28-12, 05:39 PM   #19
ninelven

Quote:
Just like Pitcairn blows away Tahtis perf/watt.
Not at DP it doesn't. In fact, quite the opposite.

Quote:
Which is not a desktop GPU chip.
Neither was Fermi, but that did not stop them from selling it as one. The absolute performance will likely still be higher than GK104, but the performance/$ and performance/watt (for gaming) will be less than GK104. Understand?
Old 03-28-12, 06:41 PM   #20
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Not at DP it doesn't. In fact, quite the opposite.
Because it wasn't made for DP. If it was, it would be more efficent. This is irrelevant to the point though. Point being, its more efficent.

Quote:
Neither was Fermi,
Yes it was. By that logic I guess Tahti isn't desktop GPU. Right?

Quote:
The absolute performance will likely still be higher than GK104
For DP, yeah. Thats the purpose...

Quote:
but the performance/$ and performance/watt (for gaming) will be less than GK104.
Yes... so whats your point? My point was GK110 is probably a HPC/server product and thus doesn't exist from a desktop GPU point of view. I'm not sure what you're even trying to get at. That it will be a desktop high end product?

Old 03-28-12, 06:48 PM   #21
ninelven

Quote:
If it was, it would be more efficent.
/facepalm

Believe what you want... not my problem.
Old 03-28-12, 06:52 PM   #22
RollinThundr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post
I just cant find the 680 anywhere..all this stuff is confusing me..LOL
Newegg sent me a item is ready to be ordered mail today. I go to order one and it was already sold out. Maybe I'll just wait til the higher end model is out, perhaps the 680 drops a bit in price then.
RollinThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 07:58 PM   #23
Ninja Prime

Quote:
/facepalm

Believe what you want... not my problem.
Glad that you concede.
Old 03-28-12, 09:36 PM   #24
ninelven

Quote:
Glad that you concede.
You clearly have some emotional issues to work through. I wish you well.