Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-12, 07:55 PM   #1
jdmcdaniel3
Its James again in Austin

Angry Linux kernel 3.4-rc1 has been released to test. It does not work with nVIDIA driver.

Well tonight 3-31-12, the last day of March 2012, kernel 3.4-rc1 has been released for testing which you can find here: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern....4-rc1.tar.bz2

I have not found any posts yet on the new kernel. I can say that I was able to compile kerne-3.4-rc1 without a problem using SAKC (http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdm...rsion-2-50-34/). However, the nVIDIA proprietary video driver does not install. It does not install with any fix I have used for kernel 3.3 so I guess there are more changes with kernel 3.4 over what was changed with kernel 3.4. I hope its temporary, but it is not looking good for nVIDIA at all. They fell behind in getting their driver to work with kernel 3.3 and none of those fixes even work with kernel 3.4. So, we will see what this means for anyone using nVIDIA who would like to stay up with the latest kernel releases. Why has nVIDIA been unable to keep up with the kernel fixes I wonder. Are there no programmers that can handle this situation at nVIDIA? I wonder ...

Thank You,
jdmcdaniel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 09:19 PM   #2
rockob

Default Re: Linux kernel 3.4-rc1 has been released to test. It does not work with nVIDIA driv

After applying the fix for the linux 3.3 kernel, you also need to replace "#include <asm/system.h>" with "#include <asm/switch_to.h>" in both conftest.sh and nv-linux.sh. Then it will build.
rockob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 05:30 AM   #3
weltall

Default Re: Linux kernel 3.4-rc1 has been released to test. It does not work with nVIDIA driv

Seems someone beat me at answering ^^
Anyway I'd not blame nvidia for this. That patch was pushed 3 days ago so there isn't much they could do as they are a business and I really doubt anyone would like to work the weekend, do you?. and .33 is supposed to fix 3.3 anyway.
weltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 07:19 AM   #4
gun26

Thanks, rockob! I put your changes in conftest.sh and nvidia-linux.h into a patch for people who want to automate the changes with the patch program rather than editing by hand. One would apply it with something like

cat kernel-3.4-rc1.txt | patch -p0

and then running the nvidia-installer.
Attached Files
File Type: txt kernel-3.4-rc1.txt (1.2 KB, 643 views)
gun26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 08:56 AM   #5
jdmcdaniel3
Its James again in Austin

Question Re: Linux kernel 3.4-rc1 has been released to test. It does not work with nVIDIA driv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockob View Post
After applying the fix for the linux 3.3 kernel, you also need to replace "#include <asm/system.h>" with "#include <asm/switch_to.h>" in both conftest.sh and nv-linux.sh. Then it will build.
First off, thanks for the information. I ask if you make this change, will the resulting driver still install into kernel 3.3 or will this make it a kernel 3.4 specific patch?

Thank You,
jdmcdaniel3 is offline   Reply With Quote