Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-03, 03:13 PM   #1
poursoul
i eat people

Default Nice one Rytr

Hey, just wanted to say good review. Kinda suprised me, didn't know you did reviews for nvnews.

But i did notice something that caught me off guard. In the positives and negatives at the end. You noted the detinator 50's as a positive, but you reviewed the card with the 45.24's. Which brings up another question. Souldn't you have reviewed it with the 45.23's. Aren't the 45.24's for workstation cards?
poursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 03:44 PM   #2
MikeC
Administrator

You can blame the editor since I didn't catch the driver mistake. I've corrected it to 45.23.

As for the Detonator 50 drivers, I removed the reference to them. I shouldn't have listed them as a positive since they haven't been released by NVIDIA and we know that Steve didn't review the card with ficticious drivers
MikeC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 04:29 PM   #3
poursoul
i eat people

So.... did he review the card with the 45.23's or the 45.24's?

and why did he/you refrence the 50's in the first place?
poursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 04:56 PM   #4
MikeC
Administrator

He used the 45.23 drivers.

I added a reference to the 50 drivers as a positive since they are for real and they will contain new features and they will improve performance. The main reason I removed the reference to the 50 drivers was due to the confusion it caused.
MikeC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 05:16 PM   #5
Solomon

Nice review Rytr,

I'm glad to see you talk about price and how it fairs between other offerings. I also liked the idea of you using a low-end system and seeing the results. The first thing I noticed when I read that was, "Cool... Finally someone tossing a ultra-high end card on a low-end system". But then I noticed what game you used.

What made you decide to use UT2k3 on the low-end system when the word about Epic and their Unreal Engine is that it's very very very system dependent? What about Command & Conquer: Generals, Call of Duty Demo, XII, etc... It would of been cool to use games that weren't prone to stress out your system, but to stress out the video card. Just an observation.

People still point fingers at me when I saw with my own eyes a GeForce 3 outpacing a Radeon 9800 on a low-end system in Battlefield 1942.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 05:20 PM   #6
volt

Nice review Steve! Kudos to Mike as well

Very well written, nice layout too
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-03, 06:19 PM   #7
Rytr
SuperMod

Thanks for all the feedback!

poursoul, I did end up using the 45.23's although I did initially try a number of drivers but the 45.23's were the newest and they did show good stability with performance.

Solomon, it was really a simple decision...it was the most available at the time and I was pressed for time. Including the low-end system was not in the initial planning of the review. It was just there, setting on the bench and I thought why not!

In a way I wish I would have picked another game but which one? There are so many. Anyway, while not maybe the best choice UT2K3 is very familiar with most readers and easily related to. I believe, I may be wrong, that there are some gamers out there who have 3 year old systems that might wonder how a high-end card would perform in their system. I had fun in including it in the review!

Thanks Volt!
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-03, 08:17 AM   #8
Dark Jedi
In the TARDIS

Thumbs up Excellent review

Another good review from NvNews, well layed out, good spread of benches, good job Rytr!

Moderator - Elite Bastards

Folding for Team nV News
Dark Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote