Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-04-02, 01:58 AM   #1
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno
Default Paint Shop Pro 7

I'm using it to make a pic sig. Not in these forums though. I don't think it's supported or allowed. Anyway, Can anyone experienced in using it give me some pointers?
Thanks
Old 09-04-02, 02:17 AM   #2
McBane
Left Hand Black

Send a message via ICQ to McBane Send a message via AIM to McBane

Watcha want?

PR0N-O-MATIC XL-509I
McBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 06:41 AM   #3
Quinn1981
Elite Bastard

learn how to use layers and the rest is easy as pie. also, Paint Shop Pro is nice, but if you can afford to get Adobe Photoshop, its a worth while investment.

even though there is undo levels, make different saves periodically so you can go back to a point if you wish later.

save as a gif when you can. they are smaller and if used correctly can look just as good as anything else.

make use of the gif,jpg and png optimizers when saving. they let you get a preview of the output in the compressed format you are using.
Quinn1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 08:23 AM   #4
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

This is my current sig. I merged all the things into 1 layer. I really want to improve upon this. I used the jpeg artifact removal as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emuforumssig.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	206  
Old 09-04-02, 08:33 AM   #5
Quinn1981
Elite Bastard

another tip. you really never want to skew anything unless its an artistic effect you want to achieve.

also, when you get other graphics you want to put in your graphic, get one bigger than you need. if you enlarge something it will be blurry or get jaggies if you dont have anialiasing on or something.

there are shortcuts to make things keep their perspective when you are resizing. i cant remember what it is for PSP7, its one of the alternate function keys like shift, control or alt. you can hold one of these and then resize with your mouse and it will keep its aspect. you can also to layer or object resizing through menus for more presise measurements.
Old 09-04-02, 02:51 PM   #6
McBane
Left Hand Black

Send a message via ICQ to McBane Send a message via AIM to McBane

pfft....paint shop is perfect for what he wants to achieve....his pic reminds me of my first sigpic at T3D....

Just try different stuff out Kiler....you'll eventually do something you like.....it aint that hard....

PR0N-O-MATIC XL-509I
McBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 02:03 AM   #7
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Thanks guys

I will keep trying. I need to get it for a height of 60 pixels and width of 500 pixels max.
Old 09-05-02, 05:51 AM   #8
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Paintshop Pro rocks, Photoshop sucks

Although personally, I think the user interface on PSP 7 sucks too, I prefered the UI on PSP 6... though PSP 6 had an annoying rounding error in it.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-02, 06:07 AM   #9
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
Paintshop Pro rocks, Photoshop sucks

Although personally, I think the user interface on PSP 7 sucks too, I prefered the UI on PSP 6... though PSP 6 had an annoying rounding error in it.
no way! heheh
photoshop is so much better, no wonder it's industry standard
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 08:19 AM   #10
Quinn1981
Elite Bastard

Photoshop's GUI is pretty annoying, but after you get used to use, it's the easiest, fastest and most powerful there is.

You want complecated and bad GUIs, try Corel stuff.
Old 09-06-02, 09:01 PM   #11
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

I say its extremely annoying.

With PSP you can tell that the real users of it have had a lot more say in its design. A lot of it is simple stuff, for example, after you make a selection, the move tool is selected by default. In PSP if you magic wand a certain color and hit delete it is filled with transparency, PS fills it with the background color. Making a simple straight lines in PSP is easy, in PS you have that annoying pen tool.

I have a hard time believing that the guys at Adobe even use their own product.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 09:27 PM   #12
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by d1rX

no way! heheh
photoshop is so much better, no wonder it's industry standard
Photoshop has sucked royally since version 6, and that's FACT.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote