Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-03, 04:15 PM   #1
nelg

Default NVIDIA Kills TR AoD benchmark !

Front page of Gamers Depot.
http://www.gamersdepot.com/
Quote:
EIDOS Interactive, the publisher for Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness issued a patch a couple of weeks ago for the game which happened to include a way to use the game as a DX9 benchmark. Since it shows NVIDIA hardware performing slower than ATI, EIDOS has pulled it down. Remember, this is a "Way it's meant to be played" game, which means NVIDIA has paid EIDOS marketing money. Here's a bs statement from EIDOS Europe:
nelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 04:17 PM   #2
volt

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...5&pagenumber=3

bottom of the page

Okay, do you guys want a separate thread for TR:AOD patch discussion?
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 04:17 PM   #3
reever2

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...5&pagenumber=3

IBTL!
reever2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 04:19 PM   #4
Hellbinder

Quote:
EIDOS Interactive, the publisher for Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness issued a patch a couple of weeks ago for the game which happened to include a way to use the game as a DX9 benchmark. Since it shows NVIDIA hardware performing slower than ATI, EIDOS has pulled it down. Remember, this is a "Way it's meant to be played" game, which means NVIDIA has paid EIDOS marketing money. Here's a bs statement from EIDOS Europe:

"It has come to the attention of Eidos that an unreleased patch for Tomb Raider: AOD has unfortunately been used as the basis for videocard benchmarking. While Eidos and Core appreciate the need for modern benchmarking software that utilizes the advanced shading capabilities of modern graphics hardware, Tomb Raider: AOD Patch 49 was never intended for public release and is not a basis for valid benchmarking comparisons. Core and Eidos believe that Tomb Raider: AOD performs exceptionally well on NVIDIA hardware." - Paul Baldwin, Eidos
Dave Baumans reply to this..
Quote:
No, 49 is the patch that we worked on for the benchmarking. If you click the download link its no longer there.

This is stupid since the patch actually increased performance for all boards and solved a number of bug fixes - the benchmarking mode is still available in the previous version, so if people use that then the performances will be even worse!
My Reply.. Nvidia "the Way its meant to be Dictated to the peons"
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 04:22 PM   #5
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Thumbs down

Man, ATI can't a fair shake anywhere! I guess this is proof to the people that tried to say that the TWIMTBP program is not about getting an advantage over the competition.
Old 09-16-03, 04:24 PM   #6
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Anyone who still needs this patch can download it from myself here:

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness Patch v49
Old 09-16-03, 04:26 PM   #7
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

D'oh. Friggin' idiots. Question now is, does someone have this patch on their system, and would they be willing to e-mail/pass it along to some sites so they can host it for download? I'd hate to see people miss out on bug fixes because EIDOS has their heads crammed where the sun don't shine.

I'd say, if you have the patch, send it to Solomon at *********, MikeC here at nV News and/or Neil Yates and Envy News and I'm sure one of them would be happy to host it for people who want to get it.

Edit: Or you can download it from Hanners who beat me to the punch.
Damn, I've never been a TR fan but I think I want to buy this game just to see what the fuss is all about.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 04:26 PM   #8
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
Anyone who still needs this patch can download it from myself here:

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness Patch v49
Are you just trying to collect letters from lawyers or do you have some sort of master-plan in mind here Hanners?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-03, 04:27 PM   #9
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
D'oh. Friggin' idiots. Question now is, does someone have this patch on their system, and would they be willing to e-mail/pass it along to some sites so they can host it for download? I'd hate to see people miss out on bug fixes because EIDOS has their heads crammed where the sun don't shine.

I'd say, if you have the patch, send it to Solomon at *********, MikeC here at nV News and/or Neil Yates and Envy News and I'm sure one of them would be happy to host it for people who want to get it.
There's more links to the patch at EliteBastards, see me sig for the link.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 04:28 PM   #10
The Baron

Folks--put it on Torrent.
Old 09-16-03, 04:28 PM   #11
volt

I dont think they will make him take if off. Afterall it was a public patch.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 04:30 PM   #12
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
I dont think they will make him take if off. Afterall it was a public patch.
Yes, but now they are claiming it was not meant for the public.