Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-03, 12:49 AM   #1
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Not bad for $128

I thought I might share my experiments in getting something for nothing. A couple weeks back, Newegg had in stock some Connect3D Radeon 9500NP cards in stock. Based on their photos, these cards are the same ones that were built on the 9700 PCB, which became the darlings of those who could both hard and soft-mod the cards to 9700NP specs (8 piplines, 256-bit bus, etc). Add to that, a special BIOS to enable overclocking and you'd have yourself a bona-fide speed demon for dirt cheap.

Of course, the ATI OEM card makers got wise to this and changed the layout of 9500/Pro cards so such a practice would cease. This was back around January/February of this year, and cards stopped becoming available in March. But I guess that didn't stop Connect3D and Newegg to have some of these cards left over. While not all cards were guaranteed to mod through either software or hardware, even at $128 the standard 9500 is still a great card. And if you got one to mod, all the better for you. With w1zzard's or Omega's drivers, you wouldn't even have to worry about making a slip with the soldering iron.

Since I was so gravely disappointed in my 5900, I had planned to purchase a 9800NP and BIOS flash that sucker. But when I saw these 9500 cards available, for $128 I couldn't pass up the opportunity. At least this card would get me by until the NV40/R420 generation. I ordered it, and the very next day Newegg sold out. By the time the card showed up at my door, the cards were taken off their site, so lucky me.

I got the card in, fired it up and another lucky me, it soft mods perfectly. And using the latest version of Rage3D Tweak, I can overclock this card without needing to use a BIOS flash. Stock, the card turns in over 4700 in 3DM03. I installed some Tweakmonster BGA RAM sinks and the card will run at 350 core/310 RAM no sweat. That translates to almost 5200 in 3DM03, and for those of you who don't care about 3DMark, I get stellar performance in all my games. UT2003 at 1280x1024, 4xAA, 4xaniso is smooth, with IQ that blows away anything in the NVIDIA camp.

I can't wait to see how Halo and HL2 play on this card.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 01:17 AM   #2
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

you bastard... I hate you

/me walks away... having said all that was to be said...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 01:58 AM   #3
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default ...

...yeh, there's not much that can be said, except "dang you, saturnotaku!!"...

Have fun with your 9500, sucka...

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 02:02 AM   #4
saturnotaku

Default Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by ragejg
...yeh, there's not much that can be said, except "dang you, saturnotaku!!"...

Oh, and I have a quasi-followup thread to this, which you can read here. I wanted to dispel some of the myths I've read about ATI cards not being able to handle older (DX6/7) class games.
Old 09-14-03, 09:58 AM   #5
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku

Oh, and I have a quasi-followup thread to this, which you can read here. I wanted to dispel some of the myths I've read about ATI cards not being able to handle older (DX6/7) class games.
/me hires a hitman to take out saturn...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 11:07 AM   #6
digitalwanderer

Congrats Saturnotaku, I'm glad you got lucky and got one of the good ones.

I can't wait to see what your impressions of it are and how it compares to your 5900.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 03:33 PM   #7
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I can't wait to see what your impressions of it are and how it compares to your 5900.
Well, you saw my older games thread, and you have to believe I'm extremely happy about this card's performance in that regard.

I haven't had too much of an occasion to try out newer games (I'm having way too much fun in the retro department). I can't wait to try out Halo, Half-Life 2 and Max Payne 2. My Xbox will be the thing gathering dust this fall.

I do have a buyer for my 5900. A good friend of mine is putting together an upgrade from a PIII 667/GeForce2 MX. He'll be running a KT400 board with most likely a Barton 2500+. The 5900 will be an excellent upgrade for him, especially because he's a huge fan of Morrowind, in spite of his current hardware. I'm going to his place in a couple weeks to help him put it together. He doesn't really care about AA or aniso so the 5900 will be great for him.
Old 09-14-03, 03:40 PM   #8
digitalwanderer

Cool beans! Glad your own personal 5900 saga had a happy ending, I truly am.

Oh, go download animusic NOW from ATi's site... (I almost forgot that gratuitous new ATi owner blurb...but I still mean it whole heartedly, an AMAZING demo! )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-03, 03:50 PM   #9
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Oh, go download animusic NOW from ATi's site... (I almost forgot that gratuitous new ATi owner blurb...but I still mean it whole heartedly, an AMAZING demo! )
Way ahead of you there, my friend. I have it (and a whole smattering of other ATI demos) ready and waiting on my backup hard drive partition.

And I'm also glad this 5900 saga is coming to an end. The money I get from the sale of that will be used to pay my car insurance bill, which will be coming up next month.
Old 09-15-03, 12:01 PM   #10
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

128$ thats a DEAL!