Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-11-03, 10:04 AM   #1
rokzy

Default Valve just put the nail in Futuremark's coffin

now the HL2 benchmark is almost out, will it replace 3dmark2003 ?

MS has said HL2 is the most complete DX9 benchmark available.

and 3dmark2003's history hardly inspires much faith in it.

atm, FM's Hall Of Fame is down ("The Hall of Fame 03 is being improved and updated. Please check back soon!") and has been for a while.

will FM throw out the "cheat" drivers so the Hall Of Fame more accurately represents "real-world" performance we've seen with HL2, Tomb Raider, in an attempt to reclaim some dignity?

even though the performance difference between nvidia and ATI in DX9 is real, will the idea of such large differences make people cringe and stick to 3dmark where it's a closer battle?
rokzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-03, 10:17 AM   #2
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

I think it proves 3dmark is just more accurate than everyone thought it was. IMHO that's a good thing for Futuremark.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-03, 10:24 AM   #3
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by nVidi0t
I think it proves 3dmark is just more accurate than everyone thought it was. IMHO that's a good thing for Futuremark.
Yeah, but they tanked their credibility and yesterday there was a debate over on B3D about how nVidia was claiming the 45.23 set were FM approved and FM said they were NOT FM approved...but buried in B3D's forum and not on their site.

How can you trust them for credibility when they pull stuff like that? And how come they're allowing nVidia drivers that put the 5900U at parity with the 9800P if HL2 benchmark shows the DX9 performance discrepancy?

I think FM is done, and good riddance.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-03, 04:35 AM   #4
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro

sigh... why nvidia is still fooling around with dx9 performance? its like they still dont have pissed customers enough
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-03, 09:58 AM   #5
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Behemoth
sigh... why nvidia is still fooling around with dx9 performance? its like they still dont have pissed customers enough
I think there is a bet going on internally at nVidia on just how pissed they can get their customers. (You must admit it would explain a lot. )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote