Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-03, 09:05 AM   #61
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Behemoth
saturn, you can edit the bat file if you want its easy, it looks like this:

ut2003.exe -nosound -1024x768 -exec=nvnews.txt ini=MaxDetail.ini userini=MaxDetailUser.ini
ut2003.exe -nosound -1280x960 -exec=nvnews.txt ini=MaxDetail.ini userini=MaxDetailUser.ini
ut2003.exe -nosound -1600x1200 -exec=nvnews.txt ini=MaxDetail.ini userini=MaxDetailUser.ini

just change the resolution, even delete a line(test), each line will start a test.
Groovy, I'll do that. Thanks!
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 09:06 AM   #62
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
...and how about a PDF manual and fancy UI to go along with it. j/k...really just wanted to say thanks and good job as well.
PDF manual? don't think I can make that from Emacs

fancy UI, bah, we don't need no stinkin fancy UI. although, I might whip out Visual Basic and make a quickie UI that would test anisotropy as set by UT2003.ini
Old 09-17-03, 07:59 AM   #63
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro

when will someone post some 5900 scores on the baron's custom bench? i dont want nvidia to get away with its poor dx8 performance.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 03:30 PM   #64
OWA

Quote:
when will someone post some 5900 scores on the baron's custom bench? i dont want nvidia to get away with its poor dx8 performance
If we don't lose power b/c of the hurricane I may be able to do that soon. I've got my main system just like I want it with the AIW 9800 Pro so I don't want to clear all the drivers and put the 5900U back in it. I'm a non-whirring harddrive away from having the 5900U system ready though. I've got 8 harddrives ranging from 40gig to 80gig and only two of the whole lot that don't drive me crazy with a high-pitched whine. I have the worst luck with that.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-03, 12:22 PM   #65
jbirney

Hmmmm

well I dont think its shaders that are slowing your down (UT2k3 uses shaders to mean something different that DX8/9 Shaders for maps/textuers). That smoke is made with a particle emitter and that will slow down about anyone.

However part of the issue MAY be all of the custom static meshs that they use. Each one has to use a non standard collision hull. I have an issue with my mod were you try to spray paint (ala the spray paints from HL) on one of the walls here and it wraps the spray all over one part of the "wall" (which is really a static mesh as the actual BSP wall is behind it). I have not been able to find out why this happens as most other maps it does not happen. So right now my spray paints in Icetomb is broke I looked at Icetomb in the editor a few weeks ago and nothing jumped out as being wrong so I think its an issue with how I set up my projector...anyways I can try to look at it again tongiht and see what else it has to make it "harder" than the other maps.
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-03, 01:30 PM   #66
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Quote:
Originally posted by Behemoth
when will someone post some 5900 scores on the baron's custom bench? i dont want nvidia to get away with its poor dx8 performance.
I downloaded the demo but it seems like the Icetomb map isn't included and you cant install any map pack unless you have the retail version. I think a friend of mine as the game anyway, so I may borrow it this week-end.

mrsabidji

PS : I could also run the demo's benchmark if you think it's of any use...
mrsabidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-03, 02:21 PM   #67
saturnotaku

Baron,

I had one slight issue with the benchmark. I chaged the resolutions to 1024, 1152 and 1280x1024. When the bench goes through the first time (at 1024) it runs in a window. When the other two run, they play full screen. Any one else have this problem or is my machine high on doob?
Old 09-18-03, 02:25 PM   #68
IISquintsII

The full version is only $20 at Target NEW. I'm getting all my friends to pick it up
IISquintsII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-03, 02:31 PM   #69
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally posted by IISquintsII
The full version is only $20 at Target NEW.
Then that means a used copy at EB should be selling for between $12.99 and $14.99. If you're a member of their EB Edge program, you'd get another 10% off that. I tell you being a part of that club has paid for itself several times over for me. The magazine they send you, while kinda crappy, is just a bonus.
Old 09-18-03, 02:35 PM   #70
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Baron,

I had one slight issue with the benchmark. I chaged the resolutions to 1024, 1152 and 1280x1024. When the bench goes through the first time (at 1024) it runs in a window. When the other two run, they play full screen. Any one else have this problem or is my machine high on doob?
Hmmm. I think it has to do with what window has focus when UT2003 runs--a friend of mine reported the opposite (first one runs in full screen, rest of them run in a window). I just run the bat file and get my hands off the keyboard and mouse... never had the window problem.

Quote:
However part of the issue MAY be all of the custom static meshs that they use.
Yes, in large part. A friend of mine used the stone static meshes (the floor, basically) in a map I had him make (that he never finished, of course) that would be Absurdly High Poly Count. Like, in its first incarnation, it crippled a 9700 Pro.. I forget the exact numbers, but a huge chunk of it came from the stones.
Old 09-18-03, 09:11 PM   #71
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro

ok whatever the shiny effects are called, i still think they are the causes of the extremely slow performance with fx cards. and fog is probably also a cause of slow down too, add them up and you get 6fps with 5900u.

mrsabidji: thanks for your effort. it seems we are only interested in the icetomb and rustatorium maps, because its like 3 to 5 times slower with nv3x than with r3xx you see.

Last edited by Behemoth; 09-18-03 at 09:15 PM.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-03, 09:23 PM   #72
jbirney

FYI:

IceTomb uses 647 static mesh actors. Keep in mind the UT2k3 Engine only has to do the work once then it can copy that static mesh actor to other parts of the map.

One texture, wm_icw1, is uses on 1189 surfaces and its a "shader":

It makes use of other "shaders" as well. It also uses dynamic lighting. Nothing else really stands out...
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote