Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-03, 08:44 PM   #1
Greg

Default Please recommend HDD Defrag for WinXP NTFS

I recently formatted and reinstalled all software on a HDD. I noticed that after running the WinXP degragmenter, most of my files were distributed around the middle of the disk, not packed toward the start. I presume that the 'start' is actually the outer edge, so even with loads of free space on this drive, I will not get the best performance.

Back in the Ancient Days, I used a program called the Norton Utilities to defrag my HDD and make (the original) Doom load more than two times faster. I'd like to explicitly select folders (such as my favourite games/apps) to be placed first on the disk, or at the very least, move all files toward the start, leaving free (slow) space to the end.

I hesitate to use 3rd party utilities with Windows, but I am sure I'm not getting top performance unless there are options I missed with the build in disk utilities. Any ideas for what degragger to use?
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 06:24 AM   #2
eL_PuSHeR

Lightbulb

Diskeeper is very good but slow as hell on FAT32 volumes. I think is faster under NTFS: http://www.execsoft.com/

VoptXP is surprisingly fast but it doesn't defragment as good as Diskeeper: http://www.goldenbow.com/
Creative GeForce4 Ti4200
Integrated CMI8738 audio
eL_PuSHeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 06:37 AM   #3
Greg

Hmm, those utilities appear to have the minimum features, but they are a bit expensive. Anything cheap or free out there? I prefer to own legit software, and can't justify spending as almost as much money on a defragger as a new HDD.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote