Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-12-12, 11:42 AM   #85
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: Samsung phones outselling Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
No it isn't, android typically has more than two threads running at any given time while not in standby.
No, quad-core on a phone is a complete waste. In fact it is a uneeded power drain.

The plan of attack for applications is to use as less cpu time, and thus less power as possible first of all. When it comes to pc, you only see quad cores come into their own on 2 things, video compressing (and like wise jobs like render farms), and games. The former has no place on the phone platform and the latter, the games are not anywhere near that complex, nor should games be wiping out your battery in an hour.

Dual core has always been the sweet spot, one core for OS operations, and the other is free to programs. Some programs and game are also ideal with 2 cores in which case the OS doesn't take up that much of one core so it is like having 2 full cores for the app itself. More than enough power.
Old 05-12-12, 12:12 PM   #86
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
No, quad-core on a phone is a complete waste. In fact it is a uneeded power drain.

The plan of attack for applications is to use as less cpu time, and thus less power as possible first of all. When it comes to pc, you only see quad cores come into their own on 2 things, video compressing (and like wise jobs like render farms), and games. The former has no place on the phone platform and the latter, the games are not anywhere near that complex, nor should games be wiping out your battery in an hour.

Dual core has always been the sweet spot, one core for OS operations, and the other is free to programs. Some programs and game are also ideal with 2 cores in which case the OS doesn't take up that much of one core so it is like having 2 full cores for the app itself. More than enough power.
Are you saying the extra 2 cores on a quad core phone don't get used ? The HTC one x is the best performing multitasking phone because of it's quad core cpu. I don't see your point tbh, because all cores get used on a quad core when multitasking and because its spread over more cores it is more efficient.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 04:01 PM   #87
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post

Well gee, that must explain why quad core CPU's reduce battery consumption by 20%...oh wait, what were you arguing again?

http://www.bgr.com/2012/04/26/samsun...ore-processor/

Quote:
Due to its 32nm HKMG low-power process and power-saving design, the Exynos 4 Quad has two times the processing capability over the 45nm process based Exynos 4 Dual while consuming 20-percent less power. To improve power efficiency, Samsung adopted hot-plug functionality to support on-off switching for each core as well as the per-core dynamic voltage and frequency scaling (DVFS), which offers a dramatic reduction in power consumption by adapting different levels of voltage and frequency when changing workloads.

Having identical form factor measurements (12mm X 12mm X 1.37 mm), the Exynos 4 Quad is pin-to-pin compatible with the 32nm process based Exynos 4 Dual, allowing mobile device designers to immediately adopt the new solution without additional cost, engineering or design efforts.

In addition, the new processor incorporates a full HD 30 frame per second video hardware codec engine for high resolution 1080p video recording and play-back, an embedded image signal processor interface for high-quality camera functionality and an HDMI 1.4 interface for sharp and crisp multimedia content transmission.

Samsung developed a power management IC (PMIC), the S5M8767, as a companion chip to power the Exynos 4 Quad processor. By integrating various circuitry such as nine highly efficient and programmable buck converters and 28 low-dropout regulators (LDOs) into the small package of 5.0 mm x 5.0mm x 0.4mm, the S5M8767 is designed to scale up or down the dynamic voltage depending on the clock speed in 6.25mV step for managing power delivery and maximizing battery life at the system level.
It's just like I said, when you have multiple cores able to scale their performance to match the demands of the particular thread they are running, you save power.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 05:17 PM   #88
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
32 nm vs 45nm. Plus turning cores off.
The rest is just PR marketing bla bla...
Well, care to explain why the "PR marketing bla bla" is wrong? From an engineering perspective, it makes complete sense.

Granted apple and their half assed multithreading will probably never utilize four cores, that doesn't mean android can't. (Not only can it do so, but it does)

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 05-12-12, 05:33 PM   #89
Rakeesh

Quote:
Well, the only mention that it consumes 20% less power but they don't say under which conditions. That's marketing 101 in my opinion.
Well this would be my guess:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Quad-...-Shadowgun-THD

Quote:
btw, Rakeesh, stop your Apple bashing please. When I responded to your post the last sentence wasn't there. Then you had to edit in another Apple bash. Why?
Because it's funny and I like how you guys react

Old 05-12-12, 05:54 PM   #90
Rakeesh

Quote:
I doubt it. It would be interesting to know for sure. I can imagine that they don't even run a real world test with a normal operating system for those measurements. The statement is coming from the hardware team after all.

The 20% improvement is the best case so that means it can't be when running at full load with more cores.
Well let's see:

We have apps for android already that run quad cores. These are already guaranteed to see battery savings over juggling all four threads in two cores, which make the processors run to the point that they lose a lot of that energy as heat.

On Android, apps have the option of running as services, such as some widgets (most lie dormant, but some things that update frequently e.g. clocks,) I myself use the samba sharing app which runs as a service, and there are many others. Each of these run in their own threads, which can operate at their own independent speeds. Again, more battery savings.

Old 05-13-12, 04:27 PM   #91
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

That's nice, too bad most of the apps on Android suck. Please make the apps I need better rkeesh. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 04:38 PM   #92
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
That's nice, too bad most of the apps on Android suck. Please make the apps I need better rkeesh. ::
Already on it.

Old 05-13-12, 05:32 PM   #93
crainger

Cheers brah. ::

The iPad to Galaxy ratio here is already 5 to 1 thanks solely to devs not putting the same effort into the Android version.
Old 05-13-12, 05:54 PM   #94
XDanger
Whaaat?

My new phone will be a ZTE ,Massive screen and plays music Thats all I need. I never once used an app on my iphones.
Old 05-13-12, 06:33 PM   #95
crainger

lol I had a ZTE work phone a few years back. Had a rotating camera instead of a front and rear.
Old 05-13-12, 11:35 PM   #96
Rakeesh

Personally I don't care much for this, but it has all of the so called "polish" and smoothness (which is mainly a result of the transition animations, which android doesn't use, opting instead for snappier screen transitions) that iphone users love.

In fact it's actually a bit smoother as demonstrated in the ebook portion of the video where the iphone jerks a bit while trying to turn pages on just text, whereas MIUI turns both text and graphics smoothly. Also this version of MIUI isn't ICS based, so it lacks GPU acceleration.

Also as the video demonstrates, it has several things you can do in one step that the real iOS requires multiple steps to do.