Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-19-12, 10:35 AM   #37
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: NVidia 96.xx.xx & 173.xx.xx Legacy drivers donít work in Ubuntu 12.04

173.14.34 is out with support for newer X servers.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 07:34 AM   #38
SamanthaDL

Default Re: NVidia 96.xx.xx & 173.xx.xx Legacy drivers donít work in Ubuntu 12.04

AaronP: Thank you so much for keeping us informed.
Nvidia, we love you!

Are there any plans to declare these drivers EOL? Or will Nvidia update these drivers once more if the xorg ABI gets updated again?
SamanthaDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 01:27 PM   #39
TDMX595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
And here you are, being angry that even older tech might not be supported anymore.
To clarify: I am in no way angry that the card might not be supported anymore. My anger is in no way directed towards NVidia. I love NVidia, and have been a loyal user since 1999. It is perfectly reasonable that the GeForce 4 series cards are no longer supported.

What I believe is that the cards still have plenty of use. If the 96 drivers aren't going to be updated I'll downgrade that computer's OS and keep it in a usable state.

What angers me is the philosophy that older tech and old things should be discarded or not used. I perceive this to be a common problem of the current era. Even though it is fallacious I'll illustrate my point with a reductio ad absurdum argument: I love the original NES. I still derive use and pleasure from it. It has now been nearly 30 years since its release. According to the logic of hl_ and other users I should just discard it and buy something new. Or perhaps as you implied Gusar, put it in a museum. I already own newer gaming systems. I like those, I use those as well. However, as stated above I still derive use and pleasure from my NES. Therefore I refuse to just throw my NES away, or stop using it just because it's old tech.

Again, this is a fallacious analogy and I'm not actually trying to win any arguments. (This is the internet after all.) However, I want to be clear about how I (and it appears to me) many other users feel. There's still plenty of life in old NVidia cards. I intend to use them until the hardware physically fails. The fact that I've been using a GeForce 4 card for 10 years is a testament to NVidia's quality.

To AaronP and the NVidia Linux team: Thank you for all your hard work in getting the 173 drivers up and running!
TDMX595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 03:11 PM   #40
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMX595 View Post
What angers me is the philosophy that older tech and old things should be discarded or not used. I perceive this to be a common problem of the current era.
Ah, *that's* what you meant. The "must always have the latest stuff" disease of the consumer age. Here I totally agree with you. A piece of tech is not suddenly useless, just because a new version of it has been released.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 01:15 AM   #41
1LordAnubis

Good computers should last 10 years
1LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 12:28 PM   #42
WSmart
Be real, be sober.

Above link ppears not to be working. Found the announcement by searching on the release,

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=181248

I didn't see a note on this issue in the 12.04 release notes.

It looks like you can just run this, sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.34-pkg#.run , from a terminal with the xserver not running, for 12.04, but there might be issues if you update Ubuntu requiring the driver to installed again -at least for now. Quality work by the Nvidia Linux team.

Like to see continued support on all cards. Maybe we could do a share ratio contribution approach to funding the work?

Thanks all.

Be real, be sober.

Edit: grammar
WSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 04:18 AM   #43
vktRus

My company uses 25 computers with NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] + Ubuntu.
We need a driver 96.xx.xx for performance.
Thank you.
vktRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 09:04 AM   #44
searchfgold6789

Very excited to have my new graphics drivers. A sincere thank you, Nvidia, for updating them.
searchfgold6789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-12, 06:15 AM   #45
mptr

Every weekend I'm looking at this forum to see if nvidia-96 driver for 12.04 has been released to upgrade old family PC... hope I won't have to wait too much or I'll have reinstall it back with 11.10 from scratch to be able get back to play video streams :-(
mptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 07:29 PM   #46
joerg.sigle

Hello all.

I would also like to have the 96.xx.xx driver upgraded for the X.org ABI 11.

I've got an MX 440, which replace a GTS 2 in a machine that was my primary computer years ago, and has stayed around as a very quiet, very reliable, and with regard to add on cards, interfaces etc. very well equipped machine - not the fastest, but very versatile beyond any of the more modern ones I own.

nVidia, if you should decide to not update that driver, I would also ask you to consider releasing the source code. After all, if it's old enough to be phased out, it may also be old enough to not cause you any harm or loss if taken to the public.

And then, we could either carry it to ABI 11 on our own (at least for small changes, I've repeatedly patched nVidia drivers when Linux upgrades became incompatible for myself), or the people developing noveau drivers could ensure that they support all functionality of the original nVidia driver.

Only *not* upgrading the driver, and *not* releasing its source code either (or all the relevant technical information) would put users with that card into a deadend (and, as I'm using SGI 1600SW displays + MultiLink, which often show black screens on never nVidia cards, into the necessity of completely replacing both their cards and their rather nice displays!!!), and finally fail completely on the promise made years ago: that nVidia should be, for historical reasons, and their clearly pronounced committment, the better choice over ATI with less driver hassles and better functionality for the Linux platform. I hope that's still the standard you like to be measured against :-)

(I've posted smaller/similar notes in two other threads on the same topic, because I've discovered this one only just now.)

Thanks a lot in advance - keep up our good work and -
Kind regards, Joerg
joerg.sigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 07:55 PM   #47
joerg.sigle

Now I just see:

$ apt-cache showpkg xserver-xorg-core
1.12.1.902-1 - xorg-video-abi-12 xorg-input-abi-16
1.11.4-1 - xorg-video-abi-11 xorg-input-abi-13
So - might it be the case, that X.Org have developed another ABI 12 again?
Hmpf. If yes, it would be very kind of you, nVidia, if you could consider supporting that as well. :-)

Kind regards, Joerg
Old 05-27-12, 12:15 AM   #48
joerg.sigle

I just described how I successfully downgraded my machine to use xserver-xorg 1.10 with ABI 10 in under this thread/title under www.nvnews.net:

"Re: 96.43.20 does still not support new X.Org ABI 11 - How I downgraded my Debian box"

Kind regards, Joerg