Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-03, 09:43 AM   #121
Gareth

To be honest, I really don't care about much of this. Like most people here I already have a card - in my case it's a 5900 Ultra. If Nvidia can optimise it so that it plays the games I want to play, better, for a relatively negligible loss of IQ (which is, realistically, what we're speaking about both here and with HL2's Mixed Mode) then good for them.

OK, if I knew then what I know now, I might have bought a different card. But it's too late, I can't afford another one and if these optimisations improve my overall experience then good for Nvidia, I say.

Incidentally, it's telling that with all the fuss about Aquamark, no-one's mentioned that Aquanox 2 uses the same engine and runs really rather well on Nvidia cards. I've been playing it for a few weeks now (review copy) and it's a great little game... and very pretty too.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 10:21 AM   #122
digitalwanderer

Default Re: Re: Wait a second....

Quote:
Originally posted by Candyman
It sure has been a long while Dig...life is good! How have you been? Staying outta trouble?
Well, I ain't been arrested in over a decade now...it's a record I'd like to keep going.

The family is disgustingly good, my son went to all day kindergarten last year and started 1st grade a few weeks ago and is really doing well with it...he's aced every spelling test so far and hasn't missed any homework. My daughter Maddy starte pre-school at Purdue and is loving it to pieces and finally starting to learn her socialization skills. All the ladies at Purdue are just tickled pink to have us back there and are trying to get me to start repairing PCs/printers around there and actually paying me for it. (Purdue would be paying me so they're trying to get me to charge a lot.. ) My wife has never been happier and our relationship is so good it's kind of scary, and our cats and puppy are just doing spiffy.

Yeah, it's been pretty great I must admit. Oh, and I have actual [b]time[/i] now on a regular basis to breath with both kids in school! Monday thru Friday from 9-2 is MY TIME! My house is actually clean and staying that way, my systems are still a bit scrambled but I'm getting to them next (house comes first, it needed it more), I was going to start job hunting but 'tween Purdue trying to contract me and a buddy who I'm helping rip roofs off houses on an odd basis I'm actually making money too!

Life is scarily good dude, and nVidia is starting to be seen by the rest of the world the same way I've been looking at 'em all year...it's pretty schweet!

(Oh, and my first bit-o-kit for review is winging it's way to me on Monday and it has "experimental prototype" in it's title....TOO COOL! )

What's been up with you? You're not at DH, are ya? (I don't go there much anymore, I keep getting banned. )

BTW-Did you read Dave Baumann's bit last night at B3D where he says there is a large and obvious visual difference in the DX9 Half-life2 path and the partial-precision one or the DX8 ones? I think you're going to see a lot of supporting evidence coming out for that type of thing in the near future...I'm not even arguing with the fanboys anymore since I know that time will prove them wrong!

(Sorry for the bit of OT posting, but I really miss/love Candyman...he's great people. )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 10:39 AM   #123
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
Any by the same logic, everyone who doesn't own a state of the art TV, or top of the range THX certified sound-system is being cheated, because they're not hearing what they should be hearing?
yes they are if it came in a box that said it WAS a state of the art TV/THX system...

FX are advertised as DX9 cards, but they are clearly not fit for that purpose.
rth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 11:54 AM   #124
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
yes they are if it came in a box that said it WAS a state of the art TV/THX system...
Out of the ones that do, theres still a wide range of quality.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 12:49 PM   #125
Joe DeFuria

Quote:
Out of the ones that do, theres still a wide range of quality.
Yes, and the ones who pay top dollar for one of the lower quality ranges don't do so because they like to waste money, I wager.

It's because they were mislead by someone.
Joe DeFuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 01:04 PM   #126
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe DeFuria
Yes, and the ones who pay top dollar for one of the lower quality ranges don't do so because they like to waste money, I wager.

It's because they were mislead by someone.
But who would do such a low and sleazy thing?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 02:15 PM   #127
sebazve

i just dont think is a matter of IQ on games regarding fx series anymore. Its just that now it seems that no driver update will solve the poor ps performance. So this is not a future proof card for those who want to stay with a card for a long time or those who wants to play with all the eye candy dx9 games right now.

my $2
Old 09-14-03, 08:38 PM   #128
StealthHawk

Default Re: Re: Re: Bah

Quote:
Originally posted by aapo
Seriously, if I had NVDA I would be very very scared, not because of the everday Joe's opinions but big players on the market. The really big players who have the most shares are usually very well aware of the technical situation too, because they have people hired to find out how the things really are.

If an important market analyst one day would decide that nVidia hardware is and will be utter crap, the market would be flooded by nVidia stock the very same day. And because Microsoft and Nintendo both selected ATi to design their next gen chips, there has been a dark cloud of stock market threat hovering over nVidia HQ.
What you say is only true iff a market analyst is keen enough to figure out what's going on. NVIDIA sure isn't going to admit their hardware is flawed.

Old 09-14-03, 10:17 PM   #129
Shaitan

Default lol

"I honestly dont see a huge difference here. Not one that would distract me during gameplay anyways."

I totally agree with this. The only reason everyone is standing around and pointing fingers is there are no games to play to actually see the differences in action. IQ this and IQ that, I have looked at the screenshots and personally, there really isn`t enough differences to make me go 1 way or the other from a visuals standpoint.
And seeing a game in action and actually playing it, if your eyes can follow the differences, I salute your omnipotent asses. LOL

No vid card is futureproof btw. WTF are gamers gonna wise up to this fact and just see this for the PR ploy that it is. nVidia has used the futureproof ploy since the Geforce 256. Funny how we still need to upgrade every 2nd card or so to get the max benefits the never ending next gen cards always allow.

It will be nice when the mudslinging ceases, and we can all get off of the god damned tech war bandwagon, and back onto the servers, where gamers belong.

"NVIDIA sure isn't going to admit their hardware is flawed."

like everything else, they will fix it in the next card inline coming to a PC store near you. ;p
WD VelociRaptors X 2 in RAID 0
BFG 295 GTX Rev. B
Enermax Galaxy 850 psu
CoolIT Systems Freezone
Samsung 2233rz
Shaitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 10:26 PM   #130
ChrisRay

Default Re: lol

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaitan
"I honestly dont see a huge difference here. Not one that would distract me during gameplay anyways."

I totally agree with this. The only reason everyone is standing around and pointing fingers is there are no games to play to actually see the differences in action. IQ this and IQ that, I have looked at the screenshots and personally, there really isn`t enough differences to make me go 1 way or the other from a visuals standpoint.
And seeing a game in action and actually playing it, if your eyes can follow the differences, I salute your omnipotent asses. LOL

No vid card is futureproof btw. WTF are gamers gonna wise up to this fact and just see this for the PR ploy that it is. nVidia has used the futureproof ploy since the Geforce 256. Funny how we still need to upgrade every 2nd card or so to get the max benefits the never ending next gen cards always allow.

It will be nice when the mudslinging ceases, and we can all get off of the god damned tech war bandwagon, and back onto the servers, where gamers belong.

"NVIDIA sure isn't going to admit their hardware is flawed."

like everything else, they will fix it in the next card inline coming to a PC store near you. ;p

Of Course. I was talking about a screenshot. I can note that they say there is a difference in motion.

But When the two dets are compared side by side. I dont see a difference,. The ATI card does show me an aparent difference from the 2 dets. Which IMO look alike.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 10:31 PM   #131
goblin

Default Re: nVidia is at it again!!! Raise FPS and lower IQ! AquaMark3 & Det.50 compared

Nvidia lies so often that they are beginning to forget which lies they have made. They lie when its easier to tell the truth.

Who is the CEO of the company? Tony Soprano?

They make up this huge lie about some rogue programmers messing up the 3dmark drivers. Then they cover it by stating some new and obviously bogus company policy about how new drivers will never ever sacrifice image quality for frame rate. Then they go out and do it again with the beta 50 drivers.

They don't have the drivers ready for public use but they somehow want all the developers to use them for benchmark numbers? Maybe because they speed up the game while reducing image quality.

You only get so many "get out of jail free" cards. I think their excuse bag is starting to run low.

Quote:
Originally posted by Candyman
Seems like nVidia is up to their old tricks again. DH has just posted a preview article on AquaMark3 with some benchies. All seems good until the last page where they compared the IQ on the cards.

Look at the flash presentation....

Read it HERE
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 10:54 PM   #132
goblin

I was one of those top q2 ctf fraggers. Yes I did turn my rez down and many goodies off in order to see my enemy better. The images looked like crap and I knew it but I was will to sacrifice it for better game play.

In a single player game I turn the goodies up as I'm playing against PC rendered bad guys and I want to see the game in all its glory. I don't like turning on options that have no effect. If I turn fog on I don't want the driver to reduce the quality in order to keep fps higher. Let me the user be the judge of what I want to see.

Why not just make drivers that when set to 1600 rez actually render at 640 rez? The gameplay will be great and many public dummies will not know the differece.

Back then the VooDoos were superior. I had many friends that were sucked into Nvidia hype about 32 bit color being superior. The problem I had then was 32 bit color and higher rez played like a slide show.
The first good card Nvidia made was the Gforce. The TNTs were crap then and are crap now. The FX line is total crap as well. Maybe the next Nvidia card will be great. I'm not into hype and brand loyalty.

Todays cards can do 32 bit color and more without slide show effects.
Todays benchmarks are poor as well. How many of you actually play a game with the sound not only off but disabled? Sound should be included in any benchmark, I don't really care if its not really testing the video card. Some sound card drivers, may limit a video cards performance. I want to know which combos to stay away from.

I think Nvidia needs to fire the CEO now. Football teams fire coaches all the time. I'm a lions fan and you all know how bad they have sucked since Barry Sanders left. Well they finally have a new coach and with him comes new hope.

If Nvidia fired the CEO I would have more hope for the company. As is I see him/her driving it into the ground. All you fan boys can sink with the ship.

Quote:
Sorry Hellbinder, but you're wrong. Graphics have nothing todo with gameplay. Alot of good Quake3 players, turn graphics down to minimum for far faster frame-rates, and get much more enjoyment out of it.

I remember ppl playing HL1 in software mode and not caring even tho their card could do it in hardware.

Seriously, if you step back from inspecting every pixel of those comparison shots, the difference is pretty negligable unless you're comparing two identical frames together like that, which 99% of nvidia card owners simply wont be doing!! Harcore graphics enthusiasts like you make up a tiny fraction of the game playing public.

And I have to say the lighting may be mucked around with, but unless you show every nvidia card owner the same image on an ATI, they wont even notice.

And I agree with someone else's post, I think the texture detail is better on the NV card. The window canopoy on the vehicle on the top right, is far blurrier on the ATI card. Some of the hills look more crisper on the NV card to.
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote