Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-03, 11:30 AM   #181
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Enthusiasts. As soon as someone receives any piece of hardware for free solely for the purpose of review, they cease to be an enthusiast and become a journalist.
That's a bit of a jump right there. The "watchmen" who are being watched by the enthusiast community have to make sure they maintain a sense of integrity to do their reviews in as much an impartial environment as possible. They have to not let the free swag get in the way of their ability to pubish a balanced article. One can still be an enthusiast while also being a journalist.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 11:31 AM   #182
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Evan... for what its worth... I personally do appreciate the time you have spent trying to explain things...

keep us posted on the behind the scenes talks in the interim...

g.luck...

I hope you do understand that the general feeling of mistrust of some sites/reviewers has built up from repeated pr'd/biased reviews and conclusions and is nothing personal... at least on my part...

as a consumer I am not a happy camper when I am offered a product that is not going to perform upto levels it is supposed to do so... which is why I have been running the gpu I have for almost a year (I changed from regular 9700pro to AIW)
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 11:34 AM   #183
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Send a message via ICQ to serAph Send a message via AIM to serAph Send a message via Yahoo to serAph

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
as a consumer I am not a happy camper when I am offered a product that is not going to perform upto levels it is supposed to do so...
you COULD be in my boat, bro

I bought a 5900!
serAph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 11:40 AM   #184
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by serAph
you COULD be in my boat, bro

I bought a 5900!
yah but I would not be clinging to some faint hope of something that is not going to happen...

if my card had been bad I would have done something about it... sold it and got a new one basically...

I would not go round posting half-truths and innuendo and expecting people who have seen whats going on and know a little of the technical details to buy into that line of thinking... its unlikely to work...

btw.. I am sorry for your predicament... I have been advising everyone I know who is looking to buy a high end card to go for ati instead of nvidia for the product cycle as it is now...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 11:43 AM   #185
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Send a message via ICQ to serAph Send a message via AIM to serAph Send a message via Yahoo to serAph

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
yah but I would not be clinging to some faint hope of something that is not going to happen...

if my card had been bad I would have done something about it... sold it and got a new one basically...

I would not go round posting half-truths and innuendo and expecting people who have seen whats going on and know a little of the technical details to buy into that line of thinking... its unlikely to work...

btw.. I am sorry for your predicament... I have been advising everyone I know who is looking to buy a high end card to go for ati instead of nvidia for the product cycle as it is now...
ya - I bought my 5900 the week it came out. $520 smackers.

ever since a week or two after I got the thing in the mail, I've been advising ppl to buy 9800's over 5900's, so its not like I was oblivious to the whole thing. As a matter of fact, I didnt have much faith in 5x.xx for quite some time until I learned a lil about what could be improved upon from the 4x.xx series.

As far as what to do now, I guess Ill stick with my very expensive radeon 9600 (wink wink) and wait out for the 4 series cards (r4xx/nv4x), though Im pretty skeptical that Ill buy another nVidia card until I see that they've cleaned up their act.

What mocks me the most about the whole ordeal is that I upgraded SOLELY because I wanted better IQ -- ie high framerates w/ AA/AF on. I never saw all those "optimizations" coming...

Last edited by serAph; 09-16-03 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-16-03, 01:19 PM   #186
eesa
the original postmasta'

well, I just spent a good part of my lunch break reading through this thread. And the only thing that caught my attention was mike's little outburst. Whoa, what happened to you? Sure ppl are picking on nvidia now and some comments are entirely unrealistic, but that doesn't make it flamebait. Software rendering? rofl. Funny, and not offensive since it's obviously a joke. Just one of the many examples. It's not like someone was making fun of your family. In that case I'd totally understand. If nv gets their act together, the tide will turn overnight. ATI will find itself the butt of a thousand jokes in an instant. Anyway, I'm just surprised that's all that you'd take such offense. The name of this site long lost it's meaning IMHO - it's become a place to come discuss hw with those who share similiar interests. -not about loyalty to a particular company. Of course, you're free to disagree. And just for the record, I've always loved nvidia -just these days it's really hard to ignore the truth. If nv40 turns out to be a killer, guess who I'll be advocating?
eesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 01:24 PM   #187
jimbob0i0
ATI Geek

Send a message via ICQ to jimbob0i0 Send a message via Yahoo to jimbob0i0

Quote:
I have been advising everyone I know who is looking to buy a high end card to go for ati instead of nvidia for the product cycle as it is now...
Heh yeah... over at my 'home' of nfHQ anyone who asks is currently getting the recommendation of ATI 9800PRO or wait a month or two if you can for the next ATI (if you want highend) or for mainstream grab a 9600pro.

It's actually kinda funny to see mods at pro-NV forums advising ATI cards and cmoplaining about NV's tactics in a way.
jimbob0i0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 01:28 PM   #188
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
Heh yeah... over at my 'home' of nfHQ anyone who asks is currently getting the recommendation of ATI 9800PRO or wait a month or two if you can for the next ATI (if you want highend) or for mainstream grab a 9600pro.

It's actually kinda funny to see mods at pro-NV forums advising ATI cards and cmoplaining about NV's tactics in a way.
u wont find many nv fans here... well at least knowledgable ones... despite the boards name...

Old 09-16-03, 01:28 PM   #189
eesa
the original postmasta'

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
why are you surprised? They call them like they see them.
Old 09-16-03, 01:29 PM   #190
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by eesa
well, I just spent a good part of my lunch break reading through this thread. And the only thing that caught my attention was mike's little outburst. Whoa, what happened to you? Sure ppl are picking on nvidia now and some comments are entirely unrealistic, but that doesn't make it flamebait. Software rendering? rofl. Funny, and not offensive since it's obviously a joke. Just one of the many examples. It's not like someone was making fun of your family. In that case I'd totally understand. If nv gets their act together, the tide will turn overnight. ATI will find itself the butt of a thousand jokes in an instant. Anyway, I'm just surprised that's all that you'd take such offense. The name of this site long lost it's meaning IMHO - it's become a place to come discuss hw with those who share similiar interests. -not about loyalty to a particular company. Of course, you're free to disagree. And just for the record, I've always loved nvidia -just these days it's really hard to ignore the truth. If nv40 turns out to be a killer, guess who I'll be advocating?
Hey, please back off Mike! He and the rest of the crew have been doing a bang-up job all thru this "difficult" time for nVidia and nVidia enthusiasts.

nVnews has been shooting straight about what is going on and their poor mods/admins have had to put up with way too much junk from way too many people and still manage to be impartial and fair in how they run their boards. If he wants to occasionally ask people to tone down the rhetoric to try and keep the threads from getting out of hand I can really appreciate how he feels the need for it and I try to respect it. (try being the operative word...I know it can be hard at times too )

Seriously, I really don't see a reason to knock Mike and the crew here; in fact I give 'em high marks and kudos for the fine job they've done.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 01:29 PM   #191
eesa
the original postmasta'

Quote:
Originally posted by serAph
u wont find many nv fans here... well at least knowledgable ones... despite the boards name...
okay that I just might have to take offense to. Just how long have been around here exactly to say that?
Old 09-16-03, 01:30 PM   #192
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Quote:
Originally posted by eesa
okay that I just might have to take offense to. Just how long have been around here exactly to say that?
hm. Of all my posts here, Id say about 95+% of them have been nothing but replies to being bashed for being even slightly pro-nvidia. Make sense?