Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-03, 01:38 PM   #193
eesa
the original postmasta'

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Hey, please back off Mike! He and the rest of the crew have been doing a bang-up job all thru this "difficult" time for nVidia and nVidia enthusiasts.

nVnews has been shooting straight about what is going on and their poor mods/admins have had to put up with way too much junk from way too many people and still manage to be impartial and fair in how they run their boards. If he wants to occasionally ask people to tone down the rhetoric to try and keep the threads from getting out of hand I can really appreciate how he feels the need for it and I try to respect it. (try being the operative word...I know it can be hard at times too )

Seriously, I really don't see a reason to knock Mike and the crew here; in fact I give 'em high marks and kudos for the fine job they've done.
thank you digi - you can have your candy now.
Sorry, nothing personal but I think your first sentence pretty much summed up what I'm trying to get across. I think if anyone can consider themselves an "nvidia enthusiasts", I get to call myself one. Apart from 3dfx, I've never had a non nv card in my box until recently and for good reason. From the tnt to the gf4, they've been just awesome and I'd be a fool to go with anyone else. But now that this is no longer the case, why would I go through a "difficult" time as you call it? Big deal - I continue to get what I feel is best - it's just not an nv card this time. Why would I be upset by that?
I admit that recently ppl have been especially hard on nvidia, but unless you have some emotional attachment to the company and not simply to whatever the best product is, why would it bother you? Jokes are jokes. Flamebait is a different issue. I guess depending on your state of mind the first can turn into the second.

And don't think I'm dissing the forums and all the work that's gone into making it what it is. I don't visit other forums. There's a reason for that. Most of them suck. I'm still here aren't I? And don't think I can't relate to all the work the mods put in either. Just because I'm pointing out some things, doesn't mean I'm discrediting all the good things about nvnews, which are many. My criticism stands though. But then I don't expect anyone to care what I think. I am after all just taking a lunch break...
eesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 01:42 PM   #194
eesa
the original postmasta'

Quote:
Originally posted by serAph
hm. Of all my posts here, Id say about 95+% of them have been nothing but replies to being bashed for being even slightly pro-nvidia. Make sense?
Well if I were marketting for nvidia, I wouldn't have very much to boast about my company at the moment. Most pro-nvidia arguments these days are IMHO pretty dumb. I'm not justifying the bashing, but if you refer to finding all the holes in their argument and being sarcastic while they're at it bashing, then so be it.

Yeah, (and I have a feeling I'm going to get in trouble for this) anyone who makes a pro-nv argument these days are not only few, but they're not very knowledgable either. If that's what you meant by your original comment, then I would have to agree.
Old 09-16-03, 01:48 PM   #195
eesa
the original postmasta'

oh and you weren't here when were fighting off the ppl from the 3dfxgamers forums when that went under and the annoying kids from rage3d when the bs they were promoting was a joke. You'd think we worshipped nvidia. I just couldn't figure out how those guys couldn't see the obvious truth which was that nv hardware was superior. I still have this arrogant black and white view today, only it favours ati at the moment.
Old 09-16-03, 01:50 PM   #196
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by serAph
hm. Of all my posts here, Id say about 95+% of them have been nothing but replies to being bashed for being even slightly pro-nvidia. Make sense?
And when did you start coming here Seraph?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 01:58 PM   #197
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by eesa
well, I just spent a good part of my lunch break reading through this thread. And the only thing that caught my attention was mike's little outburst. Whoa, what happened to you? Sure ppl are picking on nvidia now and some comments are entirely unrealistic, but that doesn't make it flamebait. Software rendering? rofl. Funny, and not offensive since it's obviously a joke. Just one of the many examples. It's not like someone was making fun of your family. In that case I'd totally understand. If nv gets their act together, the tide will turn overnight. ATI will find itself the butt of a thousand jokes in an instant. Anyway, I'm just surprised that's all that you'd take such offense. The name of this site long lost it's meaning IMHO - it's become a place to come discuss hw with those who share similiar interests. -not about loyalty to a particular company. Of course, you're free to disagree. And just for the record, I've always loved nvidia -just these days it's really hard to ignore the truth. If nv40 turns out to be a killer, guess who I'll be advocating?
Man I wish ppl would quote posts that they make reference to...especially to posts from three days ago. Anyway, I assume that you were referring to this post by Mike (or the previous one actually..at any rate): (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...r=3#post193612)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by russo121
You know what is stupid? It's saying the same old thing in almost all posts in this forum..... the same arguments in different posts.... Be real: Nvidia is not good, lets talk how can Ati improve their equipment, drivers.....Lets try to improve what can be improved and we can bet.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You want to come to MY NVIDIA GRAPHICS FORUM and tell me to talk about how ATI can improve their equipment? You get REAL

I get sick and tired of the NV bashing myself. I will start banning continued offenders. That's the only warning many of you will get, so you all know what to "expect".

eesa, it doesn't appear that you understand what Mike was saying. That lame, tired, blah blah blah excuse for humor of the "software renedering" remark that started this is the kind of crap that get's nobody anywhere. It's just blabbering garbage....do you want to skim through reams of that crap in your quest to extract useful posts? Mike is trying to really curtail this kind of yipping...it's pointless and a waste of everyone's time and bandwidth.

We can agree to disagree, I just found your response to be less than thought out. Sure, Mike can may come across as less than "pretty pretty please don't junk up my forums with pointless quips"...I can't fault him for his approach...sometimes that kind of approach is the only thing that certain people understand.

Oh, and Dig...thanks for shining your MagLight of common sense in here...it was starting to get a little dark.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 02:16 PM   #198
eesa
the original postmasta'

I'm in a non apologetic mood right now, and since I'm not a mod I'm free to get myself into a little trouble. heh.

And I would feel guilty about taking this thread way off topic (I do that a lot for some reason), but I think we all can agree we've beat this whole IQ/det50 issue to a pulp and anything more would be redundant so....

Here's my perspective - I'm not saying mike is wrong for wanting to keep the forums free of clutter. I just thought that comment was good humour which, last time I checked was allowed and even encouraged. The way he blew up made me feel like it pushed a button in him that didn't have all that much to do with clutter. I've never seen him do that before and that's why it surprised me. That whole conflict of interest thing I'm always mentioning -the only reasoning I can logically apply to that reaction. Either that or a loyalty which I obviously lack -if that's the case I respect that. I never said I wanted to see mike be all nice and diplomatic -that's just semantics (which is trivial and away from the point).

And I guess I didn't like digi's comments because it sounded like an advertisment for nvnews that sounded way too diplomatic. And when did I start putting down the mods? Last time I checked, even in the previous few posts, I was defending them.

oh, and the reason I didn't quote that was cause I wasn't hoping to get into a fight or anything -I just wanted to get something off my chest.
Old 09-16-03, 02:18 PM   #199
Evan Lieb

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
My apologies, I meant AnandTech's credibility...I really don't know you well enough to comment on yours but by your posts here I must say I'm getting a negative vibe already.
Well…not sure what I’ve been doing to give you this vibe. Sorry.

Quote:
I'll agree that I might be in the minority on that currently, but just because I'm in the minority it don't mean the minority ain't right....as nVidia was kind enough to prove recently.
Please don’t compare our ethical behavior to NVIDIA, it's insulting.

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpower
Evan,

I'm curious (and too busy to check around myself at the moment)...are you making similar posts at other sites as you have here? If not, why not?
Yes, I posted something reminiscent of my first post in this thread over on the B3D forums. No one seemed interested, so a discussion was not started. I briefly talked about this two weeks ago on the AT forums, and was only able to start a minor discussion (though it was buried in an unrelated thread).

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
Since you brought up this, What about your explainations and reasons behind the Anandtech GeForce FX 5900 review? Ever since that review, Anandtech has slid down hill IMO.
Well, not sure how we’ve slid downhill because of two mistakes in one review, but as far as my explanation is concerned…ask Anand. I have always supported Anand in everything he’s done, and amazingly I’ve never had a single disagreement with him on anything because he’s so intelligent and open minded. However, in this case, he messed up. He should have either rerun the Q3A and SC benchmarks properly and posted his new results ASAP instead of one month later, or he should have omitted both benchmarks right after the review went up and given a tiny explanation as to what was going on.

While certainly nothing to be proud of, I can honestly say that Anand wasn’t trying to piss anyone off by his tardiness with the corrections.

Quote:
Originally posted by muzz Yep there were issues with a review there a little while ago, jjbirney,myself and may others brought it to their attention, Evan said they were looking into it, and then NOTHING ( for like 2 weeks), next time I went back to the thread mysteriously disappeared... DELETED.
No, the way it actually happened was that we left one thread open for discussion about the 5900 Ultra review, because a guy named Typedef something er rather started multiple threads on the exact same topic, and even in different forums, which is why one of his multiple threads was deleted (but his primary thread was of course left on the forums). He even posted about it in a completely unrelated thread, and the mods had to yet again remind him of the forum rules. The supposed “deleted thread” I keep hearing about is just a FuseTalk issue as far as I can see. When we used to have the “Articles” section of the forum, a thread would be started immediately when a review was posted. Several of my motherboard threads got archived and so were unable to be found by my own means. Apparently this happened to the original NV35 article thread that was started because of lack of use, which was the same reason my motherboard threads vanished after some time. Either way though, we kept a huge (300+ reply thread I think) on the NV35 review about the Q3A resolution and SC AA issues (the thread Typedef started as far as I can remember).

Quote:
I started another thread about it, and of course that was ignored as well.
Don't question, just listen and believe what we say......
Are you this Typedef guy then? AFAIK no one else started any threads about this topic on the AT forums whose name was “muzz”.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar Evan... for what its worth... I personally do appreciate the time you have spent trying to explain things...

keep us posted on the behind the scenes talks in the interim...

g.luck...

I hope you do understand that the general feeling of mistrust of some sites/reviewers has built up from repeated pr'd/biased reviews and conclusions and is nothing personal... at least on my part...

as a consumer I am not a happy camper when I am offered a product that is not going to perform upto levels it is supposed to do so... which is why I have been running the gpu I have for almost a year (I changed from regular 9700pro to AIW)
Thanks, I’m doing nothing more than giving a heads up to people on what we’re trying to do, and what I believe other web sites can do.

Last edited by Evan Lieb; 09-16-03 at 02:23 PM.
Evan Lieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 02:25 PM   #200
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Evan Lieb
Please don’t compare our ethical behavior to NVIDIA, it's insulting.
Why not? Your site silently endorsed their behavoir, why should you be excluded from accounatbility for that? (I was one of them posters in the TypeDefum threads that your mods did a VERY lousy job of "handling"... )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Old 09-16-03, 02:30 PM   #201
Clay

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by eesa
oh, and the reason I didn't quote that was cause I wasn't hoping to get into a fight or anything -I just wanted to get something off my chest.
Thanks for the cool-headed response eesa and I see your point about not quoting. I just hate digging back through pages of past posts is all.

That's the problem with written text...the subtleties of inflection, expression, etc are lost...so it's easy (and understandable) to misinterpret. I think Mike's just had it up to here with bashing, trolling and flaming of any kind, towards anyone or any company. It's so very very tired.

I didn't question your stance on any of the staff here at nV News so please don't think I implied as such. I just thanked Digi 'cause you know, sometimes he gets kinda crazy and, well, with him being all nice and everything I had to say thanks.

Mike doesn't have any conflicts of interest regarding this site as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't take crap from anyone or any company. He just wants to shoot straight and have fun along with the rest of us.

Thanks again for discussing this with class and know that we're glad to have you around here.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 02:42 PM   #202
eesa
the original postmasta'

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpower
Mike doesn't have any conflicts of interest regarding this site as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't take crap from anyone or any company. He just wants to shoot straight and have fun along with the rest of us.
I can only hope that's true. Ppl change. I'm sorry if I'm being cynical. I'd be glad to be proven wrong. Don't get me wrong -I think mike's a great guy who definitely has a passion or else this site would never have existed. Plus the fact that he gave me a gf1 and a gf2 I'll always be grateful for. Nothing can change those 2 things. It's just now this presence isn't what it used to be (he posted news many times a day) and when he does poke his head out it's usually to defend nvidia. That's how I've come to arrive at the conclusion.
Old 09-16-03, 02:48 PM   #203
MikeC
Administrator

Sorry I'm not perfect Eesa. I do still work a full time job and have wanted to enjoy other interests beside this webpage.

BTW, your IP address is coming from ATI Headquarters, do you work for ATI?
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 02:55 PM   #204
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
Sorry I'm not perfect Eesa. I do still work a full time job and have wanted to enjoy other interests beside this webpage.
Speaking of other interests, I just heard that Hurricane Isabelle has been downclassed to a category two...I'll keep working on it.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]