Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-13-03, 05:01 PM   #73
AthlonXP1800

5900 Ultra's both Detonator 44.03 and 45.23 has the equal image quality, it the best quality ever, on Detonator 51.75, the image quality on the back of the ship were drop to dark but the background are the same quality as in Detonator 44.03 and 45.23. It is interesting when move on to ATI, the Catalyst 3.4 noticed a drop in image quality and on Catalyst 3.7 it drop once again compared to Catalyst 3.4. Catalyst 3.4 and 3.7 image quality are no matched with Detonator 44.03 and 45.23's best image quality.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 05:13 PM   #74
kmf

Chrisray, that image is loading very slow. whats going on?
kmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 05:23 PM   #75
demonic

Quote:
Originally posted by kmf
Chrisray, that image is loading very slow. whats going on?
Possibly, because im getting hammered, im only on 26k..

Thanks to nyt for hosting the images

Guys, if you could (or a mod) update to the new images, I would be grateful..

Finally, a last animation.. Just a quick job..

--------------------------

http://81.98.4.56/difference3.gif

From the dets 45.23 to 51.75 its reported to give a massive boost.. around 19fps..

Now take a look at (wrt to the latest dets)

- The mountains behind.. see they are now blurred.
- The ships wing on the upper right.. Before you can make out the black and yellow strips.. Now its a blur.
- Same as before, look at the wing on the upper left, really nice with before.. Now its blurring.
- The Hull is dark yellow-ish.. Now its horrible tan.
- The top of the ship either side of the after burn. Yellow.. Now Tan.

Thats pretty much what I could come up with in a few minutes..
demonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 05:53 PM   #76
TheTaz

Question maybe I'm high!

Uhh... looking at this little animation flipping between the Radeon 9800 and the Det 50's...

To me it looks like....

The Det 50's are better for close up stuff (not counting the darkness, but detail)...and the 9800 is better for distant stuff.

With the Det 50's... there seems to be thicker grass, more detail in the actual ground texture, and you can see the lug nuts on the wheels.

What bugs me is the stuff in the distance.

The 9800 is much sharper for the explosion and fragments... and the ship in the distance is better "lit", clearer... and things in general that are distant are more clear / sharp.

that said... I think they both suck in their own ways... and both rock in their own ways.

I'm still prolly going ATi for my next card tho.

Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 06:03 PM   #77
tertsi
www.fornvidiots.net

Default Re: maybe I'm high!

Quote:
Originally posted by TheTaz

The 9800 is much sharper for the explosion and fragments...
hell yeah... there is no AA.

btw. do you mean "onsekumma" flipping animation?
tertsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 06:03 PM   #78
vicious2003
number one in the hood G

more insanity for Nvidia to box through. You can do all the comparing you want. Nvidia is still very strong. I know they make mistakes and can't always be on top, but when you hear things like quality being degraded to make an fps higher people should just be able to turn down the graphics on their settings, not the drivers. I really don't like seeing this kind of thing. I also don't like LEAKED drivers. Its almost like leaking something from Microsoft. You can't trust a incomplete product because hhere are going to be holes. Wait for the real drivers from Nvidia to come out and we will see. I also want to see all this mumbo jumbo go into one lump forum. NVNEWS please put this all into one forum and don't let that .png to be loaded on the forums. only a link.

lga 775 3.4ghz HT
intel d915pbl motherboard
dual line ddr2 1 gig
Leadtek 7800 GTX
(All in a crappy case)
vicious2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 06:07 PM   #79
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: maybe I'm high!

Quote:

With the Det 50's... there seems to be thicker grass, more detail in the actual ground texture, and you can see the lug nuts on the wheels.

What bugs me is the stuff in the distance.

The 9800 is much sharper for the explosion and fragments... and the ship in the distance is better "lit", clearer... and things in general that are distant are more clear / sharp.

that said... I think they both suck in their own ways... and both rock in their own ways.

I'm still prolly going ATi for my next card tho.

Taz
the reason for the visible lug nuts and what not is no shadowing effects on the wheels... which is quite odd considering the light sources... the wheels just are... if you catch my drift... instead of being in shadow

the ground textures are much clearer in the radeon clips due to the lighting and the lighting does give added depth/texture to the ground/background more so on the radeon than the nvidia rendered shot...

like I have suggested... it would appear that there are light sources 'missing' using the dets for some reason... but cannot be conclusive w/o a reference image to compare against...

perhaps someone with a parhelia can take a screenie and see what is rendered ?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 06:10 PM   #80
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by demonic
Possibly, because im getting hammered, im only on 26k..

Thanks to nyt for hosting the images

Guys, if you could (or a mod) update to the new images, I would be grateful..

Finally, a last animation.. Just a quick job..

--------------------------

http://81.98.4.56/difference3.gif

From the dets 45.23 to 51.75 its reported to give a massive boost.. around 19fps..

Now take a look at (wrt to the latest dets)

- The mountains behind.. see they are now blurred.
- The ships wing on the upper right.. Before you can make out the black and yellow strips.. Now its a blur.
- Same as before, look at the wing on the upper left, really nice with before.. Now its blurring.
- The Hull is dark yellow-ish.. Now its horrible tan.
- The top of the ship either side of the after burn. Yellow.. Now Tan.

Thats pretty much what I could come up with in a few minutes..
nice job again... they are a little off kilter

but the differences are rather clear...

I am trying to imagine why one would think no one will notice the extra bluriness/lesser clarity/definition in game...

Old 09-13-03, 06:16 PM   #81
TheTaz

Default Re: Re: maybe I'm high!

Quote:
Originally posted by tertsi
hell yeah... there is no AA.

btw. do you mean "onsekumma" flipping animation?
Demonic's animation:

http://81.98.4.56/difference.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
the reason for the visible lug nuts and what not is no shadowing effects on the wheels... which is quite odd considering the light sources... the wheels just are... if you catch my drift... instead of being in shadow

the ground textures are much clearer in the radeon clips due to the lighting and the lighting does give added depth/texture to the ground/background more so on the radeon than the nvidia rendered shot...

like I have suggested... it would appear that there are light sources 'missing' using the dets for some reason... but cannot be conclusive w/o a reference image to compare against...

perhaps someone with a parhelia can take a screenie and see what is rendered ?
Possibly.

The 9800 shot looks like a solid black "hub cap" to me... not a shadow.

But the ship in the distance losing it's "lighting" would coorespond to your theory. In 3DMark2001, the high poly test with one light vs. eight lights has a major frame rate difference. So yeah... I wouldn't be suprised if the Detonator 50's somehow is turning off lights.

Regards,

Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 06:25 PM   #82
vicious2003
number one in the hood G

I looked at it and see the same thing NVidia always does with the color scheme. Its darker. I think it doesn't look as pale colored as the 9800. I don't understand. WEll, I keep looking at the .png as I write this post to figure out something to find wrong. I see that lighting is missing from the NVidia scheme or is it just darker. the grass looks fuller and not blocky as opposed to the ati 9800. The explosion does look blurry though on the nvidia while the 9800 looks sharper. I don't see a huge enough difference to go crapping my pants over. While the scene in motion would show how much lighting is taken away while the light probably phases in and out like it should underwater I just can't truely tell yet. I still don't get it. The only thing that got me to buy my ATI is the quite and small factor. They both have really good speeds, with ATI in the lead of course. Test for yourselves and see what its like. most of our systems are too crappy to be benching anyway. I know I need a new processor/mobo/RAM. Nice screen captures. very informative.

lga 775 3.4ghz HT
intel d915pbl motherboard
dual line ddr2 1 gig
Leadtek 7800 GTX
(All in a crappy case)
vicious2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 06:26 PM   #83
4q2
----BURP!-----

Its pretty obvious to me and almost everyone else here that Nvidia optimizes by lowering image quality until the benchmark bar next to their products name is equal to or better than the competition.

I never realized that the dawn of cinematic quality rendering had so much to do with how large a 2d bar graphic was.

My bad.
4q2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-03, 06:30 PM   #84
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Re: Re: maybe I'm high!

Quote:
Demonic's animation:

http://81.98.4.56/difference.gif

Possibly.

The 9800 shot looks like a solid black "hub cap" to me... not a shadow.

But the ship in the distance losing it's "lighting" would coorespond to your theory. In 3DMark2001, the high poly test with one light vs. eight lights has a major frame rate difference. So yeah... I wouldn't be suprised if the Detonator 50's somehow is turning off lights.

Regards,

Taz
yah I am not sure if it is 'turning off lights' or something more technical is going on.. I was just putting that forth coz thats what it looks like..

OTOH... you may recall similar issues with 3dmark03... it just appears as though nvidia's shot has fewer colors/effects/both or there is somethng else going on...

wrt to vicious post.... I am assuming since both shots have the same frame number... that all effects/lighting are technically being rendered the same on both cards (or are supposed to be)

its the same in other recent benches like 3dmark03.. where they can all stop @ the same point and take a capture...