Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-03, 10:03 AM   #25
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
Why use ps2.0 when ps1.x is sufficient for the effect you want??
Because the goal there is to benchmark the card's PS2.0 performance. Anyway, I agree with you concerning a real game situation...

mrsabidji
mrsabidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 10:08 AM   #26
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Toaster

besides, the amount of ps2.0 shaders doesn't mean anything, it's how often they get used whats important here.
true... we will just have to see when everyone releases their findings how much often dx9 shaders are being used in the scenes...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 09:27 PM   #27
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by aapo
But I bet it isn't easy to find a situation where you really need PS2 shaders. You all have seen the HL2 benchmark screenshots, and there is a minimal difference between DX9 and DX8 - which tells us that DX8 shaders are at least almost as good as DX9. If I've understood right, the only effect that can't be done properly with DX8 in HL2 is the high dynamic range light effects, because like the name says, there needs to be high range of intensity values in the shader code, which only DX9 FP numbers can offer.
Well, we all know about NVIDIA's shannigans in that unamed 3dsomething03 benchmark But I think the point is that NVIDIA did many optimizations for it that were detectable, such as the discolored sky, the grainy water(when zoomed in). If they change it in such ways, we the people will eventually find out. Unless there is truth to NVIDIA faking screenshots, of course.

But in the above cases, the point is it was discovered when NVIDIA lowered precision.

Other effects that appear to be DX9 only can be found in Tomb Raider, like the now disabled glow effect(I think), and the DOF effect. Considering that developers want to use DX9 and keep it playable, that is probably why more exotic effects are not seen.
Old 09-24-03, 09:20 PM   #28
goblin

The reason the dx8 looks good vs dx9 is they had HDR turned off. Nvidia does not support this so they turned it off for both ATI and Nvidia SS.

In the actual game with HDR in full dx9 mode the difference is suppose to be stunning.

Quote:
Originally posted by aapo
You all have seen the HL2 benchmark screenshots, and there is a minimal difference between DX9 and DX8 - which tells us that DX8 shaders are at least almost as good as DX9.

If I've understood right, the only effect that can't be done properly with DX8 in HL2 is the high dynamic range light effects, because like the name says, there needs to be high range of intensity values in the shader code, which only DX9 FP numbers can offer.

I bet this is why things are generally more shiny and the water is 'brighter' in DX9 effects, there is more dynamic range available. But in the HL2 screenshot the DX8 actually looked better to me, the water was too shiny in DX9. In AquaMark3 the scenery with Radeons looked better and it had more dynamic range judging by the screenshots, IMHO, so mebbe the real DX9 is good for something after all.
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote