Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-16-12, 01:51 AM   #1
musman
I Derail Threads

Default If I have a firewall in my router do I need one installed in Windows 7?

Hello my peeps!

I have a Netgear WNDR3400 WiFi router. This router has a SPI and NAT firewall. I am also using the firewall built into Windows 7. Do I need the Windows firewall? Is there ANY security issues or performance issues (more concerned about security than performance) by running both?

I have read many things online about this subject and found it impossible to get a decisive answer.

Thank You
Antec Nine Hundred case. Core I-7 920 @ 3.56GHz, Noctua NH-U12P Cooler, EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX-285 1GB, EVGA GT-240 Superclocked 512Mb used as a Physx card, DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6, OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 7-7-7-18, Intel X25-V SSD, used as a boot drive, 2X Seagate 500Gig 32MB Cache 7200RPM in RAID 0, Logitec G-15 keyboard, Logitech MX-518 Mouse, CH Combatstick 568, Xboc Controller, LG L227WTG-PF 22" LCD Monitor 1680x1050. Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit. Speakers: KRK Rokit8 studio monitors.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/media/customer.jpg
musman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 01:53 AM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: If I have a firewall in my router do I need one installed in Windows 7?

Well, this is kinda' like asking your mechanic "Ford or Chevy?"

Me? I'd just use both. Unless you experience any problems, then what is the harm in running both? It's an added layer of security and if it doesn't hurt performance in any way that you could notice- what's to lose?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 02:07 AM   #3
musman
I Derail Threads

Default Re: If I have a firewall in my router do I need one installed in Windows 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Well, this is kinda' like asking your mechanic "Ford or Chevy?"

Me? I'd just use both. Unless you experience any problems, then what is the harm in running both? It's an added layer of security and if it doesn't hurt performance in any way that you could notice- what's to lose?
Ok thank you Redeemed! I don't know much about firewalls so that's why I am asking the professionals here. I have not noticed any issues running both that I know of. Also, i have never tried using just my router firewall.

Just read that my router has "Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention" too. Don't know what that is but I will look it up.

Thanks again.
Antec Nine Hundred case. Core I-7 920 @ 3.56GHz, Noctua NH-U12P Cooler, EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX-285 1GB, EVGA GT-240 Superclocked 512Mb used as a Physx card, DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6, OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 7-7-7-18, Intel X25-V SSD, used as a boot drive, 2X Seagate 500Gig 32MB Cache 7200RPM in RAID 0, Logitec G-15 keyboard, Logitech MX-518 Mouse, CH Combatstick 568, Xboc Controller, LG L227WTG-PF 22" LCD Monitor 1680x1050. Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit. Speakers: KRK Rokit8 studio monitors.

Old 05-16-12, 09:18 AM   #4
TheTaz

What Redeemed said. It really isn't a performance hit on modern machines.

Plus... if someone jumps on your wi-fi or plugs into your router, and is infected with something that spreads... your router firewall isn't going to protect you because it only looks at traffic to and from the Internet.

I'm not saying firewalls do all that great of a job with malware protection... but it is better than nothing. If you don't want to pay for an AV product... you should be running Microsoft Security Essentials, as well... it is free and one of the better "free AV" products out there... and it doesn't impact performance much either. It also works in conjunction with the Windows Firewall for some Intrusion Prevention behavioral detection.
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 10:03 AM   #5
musman
I Derail Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaz View Post
What Redeemed said. It really isn't a performance hit on modern machines.

Plus... if someone jumps on your wi-fi or plugs into your router, and is infected with something that spreads... your router firewall isn't going to protect you because it only looks at traffic to and from the Internet.

I'm not saying firewalls do all that great of a job with malware protection... but it is better than nothing. If you don't want to pay for an AV product... you should be running Microsoft Security Essentials, as well... it is free and one of the better "free AV" products out there... and it doesn't impact performance much either. It also works in conjunction with the Windows Firewall for some Intrusion Prevention behavioral detection.
Excellent point!
I do run Security Essentials. Not that I don't want to pay for one, it's just small and it stays out of the way for the most part. Appreciate you guys on here!

Thank You

Old 05-16-12, 10:15 AM   #6
TheTaz

No Prob.

If you are already running security essentials, then you definitely want to keep the windows firewall on for the intrusion prevention aspects.

Intrusion Prevention doesn't use signatures like AV. It looks at bad behavior on the network level and the process level. This is to try to catch "Zero Day" stuff that AV products don't have a definition for yet.

So, for example, some packets come in that want to start a process that is going to write something to your "run" registry key, the Intrusion Prevention mechanism would try to block that activity at the firewall level and stop the behavior before more bad things come.

So with Security Essentials, you really want the Windows Firewall on... otherwise you are crippling some of what Security Essentials can do.
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 03:50 PM   #7
musman
I Derail Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaz View Post
No Prob.

If you are already running security essentials, then you definitely want to keep the windows firewall on for the intrusion prevention aspects.

Intrusion Prevention doesn't use signatures like AV. It looks at bad behavior on the network level and the process level. This is to try to catch "Zero Day" stuff that AV products don't have a definition for yet.

So, for example, some packets come in that want to start a process that is going to write something to your "run" registry key, the Intrusion Prevention mechanism would try to block that activity at the firewall level and stop the behavior before more bad things come.

So with Security Essentials, you really want the Windows Firewall on... otherwise you are crippling some of what Security Essentials can do.
Thank you for making this all clear. Makes a lot of sense to me now. i really do appreciate the info!