Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-03, 07:02 PM   #25
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Actually, I think the developers themselves said they were very disapointed with the performence of some of the PS 2.0 effects (not speaking specificly of the FX series), and that in the next patch they would be locking some of them off anyway. It seems REALLY odd that Nvidia would force them not to release a patch which forces LESS PS 2.0 effects, and would therefor increase performance of the FX series. Umm...DUH! Wonder why Nvidia would make them take down the patch...do they not realise it's had a benchmarking mode ever since it was released? Why don't they just make them lock out a few more of the PS 2.0 effects to put them in better light? Seems like removing the patch only makes things worse.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 07:39 PM   #26
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Seems like removing the patch only makes things worse.
well at least they're consistent.

not like ATI, who go from worst release ever with 8500 to best release ever with 9700pro - you never know what to expect.
Old 09-16-03, 08:08 PM   #27
Hellbinder

Quote:
well at least they're consistent.

not like ATI, who go from worst release ever with 8500 to best release ever with 9700pro - you never know what to expect.
This is Ridiculous. You can hardly compare the 8500 launch to this. First the card was hardly bad. Just a little behind expectations at first. It was still the only other card out there roughly Comparable to a GF3. Some things faster some things slower. Ati did screw up with Quak. But, Quickly recoverd and updated drivers regularly. Not as much as now.. but it was where it all started. Overall there was no single GAPING weakness in the card. Not like the FX line. Further ATi did not pull any of this crap that Nvidia is. They simply took it in the shorts like a man. Beat the living **** out of their engineers and produced a masterpiece.

Nvidia could learn a large lesson from the Way ATi handled the 8500.

(The 8500 was more average with a couple bright spots than bad by any honest measurement. Plus its sibling the 9000's Still beat the 5200's in shader intensive games)
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 08:17 PM   #28
NKVD
Radeon 5900 Ultra

my message to NVIDIA:

Keep It Sensible

I won't buy your crappy cards never again !!!

If you ban me, I will change my IP, delete old cookies, and will register a new nickname....So I will come back and hunt you down, boy.....

Last edited by MUYA; 09-17-03 at 02:21 PM.
NKVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 08:38 PM   #29
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

If this is true (has it been confirmed?), I wonder if they will force websites to remove the TR2 results from their reviews?
Old 09-16-03, 08:40 PM   #30
ChrisW

Quote:
Originally posted by NKVD
If you ban me, I will change my IP, delete old cookies, and will register a new nickname....So I will come back and hunt you down, boy.....
You do realise they can report you to your ISP and they will cancel your internet access, right?
Old 09-16-03, 08:46 PM   #31
surfhurleydude
Radeon 9900 Pro

Quote:
You do realise they can report you to your ISP and they will cancel your internet access, right?
IIRC, if you're using a proxy, that can't be done because your IP isn't from your real location anyhow.
surfhurleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 08:49 PM   #32
John Reynolds

Dave just made an eye-opening post here . So much for open standards and APIs. I wonder how much money was exchanged for a major publisher like EA to endorse the TWIMTBP campaign? Jason Cross, tech. writer for CGM, wrote an excellent editorial a few months ago lambasting the EA/Nvidia marketing merger, concerned that game features would be missing for those not running Nvidia hardware and that it would be a nasty step backwards for the entire PC gaming market/community. He was right.

I'm not into soaps -- never have been -- but I swear, this summer seems like one painfully-protracted, low-brow soap opera insofar as the 3D graphics market is concerned. And Nvidia has not only been the simpering starlet of this soap, they've also been the director, producer, and team of hack writers all rolled into one class A cluster f*ck (excuse my Englishy french).
John Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-03, 08:52 PM   #33
ChrisW

Quote:
Originally posted by surfhurleydude
IIRC, if you're using a proxy, that can't be done because your IP isn't from your real location anyhow.
Are you talking about connecting through your ISP's proxy server?
Old 09-16-03, 09:05 PM   #34
ReDeeMeR
The Guy Next Door *wink*

Send a message via ICQ to ReDeeMeR

Got to love fatass corporations and their dirty business, same thing why I hate intel/M$, cheating and misleading marketing
ReDeeMeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 09:41 PM   #35
1stFlight

This is unbelievable,

First the 5800 fiasco (I still have that video if anyone wants it)

Then all of the IQ problems the FX series has had....

Then the 5900 (a card that opend at HALF A GRAND and is still selling at $300+), a pathetic HL2 showing ( I'm not even going to mention the 5600), with pixel shared that can only have been merely tacked on...

to this .... strongarming a company into pulling its DX9 benchmarks....

Do they actually want people buying their cards? !!!

Come on, all of their mid/high-end sales are generated from the gaming community. What the h#ll are they doing? Trying to alienate us???

*just shakes his head* Unbelievable, my next card may well be an ATI , just for ethical reasons.

Friedrich Nietzsche
-------------------------------------------------
[u]Desktop[/u]
AMD AthlonXP 2500 | Corsair CAS2 2x256MB | AOpen AK79G-1394 Nforce2 | GeForce4 4200 128MB | 80 & 60 GB WesternDigital HD's | WinXP & RH Linux 9.0

[u]Laptop[/u]
Dell Inspiron 8600 - Centrino 1.6, 768MB ram, 9600pro 128, WSXGA+ screen
1stFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 09:44 PM   #36
The Baron

I'm trying to understand their actions in the scheme of some master plan... but it just don't make sense. Period. I have no idea what this is trying to do--if they had stopped the benchmark before the game was out, it'd be different, but we've all seen it now...