Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-03, 10:23 PM   #49
lukar

XGI looks promising, and I'm looking for it.
It would be great to see those v5 v8 cards, which are similar to ATI r300 chip, from paper. They will follow up standard DX9.0API, and that's good.

Why is it important for us their success?

It will force Nvidia to follow standard too, not to play dirty game behind the scene, paying developers to code the games using non standard 'procedures'.

ATI-Microsoft deal is also important in this sense. Most of developers will make XBOX2 games, using standard DX 9.0 API or whatever case might be, and that's gonna reflect on PC games as well.

From this time now, OPENGL is death. The only company, who supports it is ID Software. As I see, OPENGL doesn't have a future...
lukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 10:37 PM   #50
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally posted by lukar
XGI looks promising, and I'm looking for it.
It would be great to see those v5 v8 cards, which are similar to ATI r300 chip, from paper. They will follow up standard DX9.0API, and that's good.

Why is it important for us their success?

It will force Nvidia to follow standard too, not to play dirty game behind the scene, paying developers to code the games using non standard 'procedures'.

ATI-Microsoft deal is also important in this sense. Most of developers will make XBOX2 games, using standard DX 9.0 API or whatever case might be, and that's gonna reflect on PC games as well.

From this time now, OPENGL is death. The only company, who supports it is ID Software. As I see, OPENGL doesn't have a future...

Bioware supports OpenGL too. I dont see how people can want the death of OpenGL.. Do you really want microsoft being the absolute driving force to the gaming industry?
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 10:48 PM   #51
Smashed

Quote:
Originally posted by John Reynolds
I'm not into soaps -- never have been -- but I swear, this summer seems like one painfully-protracted, low-brow soap opera insofar as the 3D graphics market is concerned. And Nvidia has not only been the simpering starlet of this soap, they've also been the director, producer, and team of hack writers all rolled into one class A cluster f*ck (excuse my Englishy french).
Costarring ATi as the villainous mastermind after her estate and 3dfx as the debauched younger brother languishing in a coma. But where are the token minority and the slu*-about-town?

edit: Damn, I can't believe slu* is filtered. Ruins one of my favorite SNL lines.

Last edited by Smashed; 09-16-03 at 10:52 PM.
Smashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 10:51 PM   #52
Joe DeFuria

Quote:
Originally posted by Smashed
Costarring ATi as the villainous mastermind after her estate and 3dfx as the debauched younger brother languishing in a coma. But where are the token minority....
(In steps XGI....)

Quote:
andthe ****-about-town?
Whoelse, but Kyle from [H]?

Joe DeFuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 10:56 PM   #53
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe DeFuria
[BWhoelse, but Kyle from [H]?[/b]
Hey, Kyle has supported ATi for the last year and recomended them!

I know it's true, he's telling me all about it.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 10:57 PM   #54
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
OpenGL has plenty of future, and it's not going to be leaving any time soon. The ARB has a lot of members, and this is the one API that can be used across all computing platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac). And I know I sure as heck don't want Microsoft being the only game in town for 3D development.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 11:05 PM   #55
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Send a message via ICQ to serAph Send a message via AIM to serAph Send a message via Yahoo to serAph

omfg. I was gonna complain about how this is probably the 6th time Ive seen this story on this forum, but I just saw something as stupid as "OpenGl is dead" or some crap - DUDE - JUST BECAUSE ATi DOESNT CODE FOR IT DOESNT MEAN ITS "DYING"

that has to be the single most rediculous, spit-in-the-face of intelligence, half witted, no brained, idiotic thing Ive seen here yet. And I thought the noobs @ guru3d were bad! Sheesh!

OpenGL is dead, yet people frequently spend 500 to 2000 bux on professional OpenGL development video cards. I had nooo idea!

While yer at it smarty - why dont you look for a comparison between the QuadroFX3000 and the FireXGL equivalent that ATi butchered and offered in contest to it. It might blow your fragile little mind.

That is the ONE thread of decency nVidia has left. Too bad it doesnt do ANYTHING for me.
serAph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 11:20 PM   #56
lukar

OpenGL doesn't have to offer anything over DX9.0.
That's the fact, and I was talking about OpenGL being death in that sense.
Everything what comes to the OpenGL API, comes from DX.
If I have to make choice between DX or OpenGL in order to run the game, I choose DX.

Old 09-16-03, 11:22 PM   #57
lukar

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
OpenGL has plenty of future, and it's not going to be leaving any time soon. The ARB has a lot of members, and this is the one API that can be used across all computing platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac). And I know I sure as heck don't want Microsoft being the only game in town for 3D development.
Linux Platform?? Give me a break...

Linux is one big retard OS which comes packed on 3CDs
Old 09-16-03, 11:27 PM   #58
lukar

and I'm talking about linux as desktop solution...

Linux as desktop solution comparing to Windows XP i like Russian Lada compared to Dodge Viper
Old 09-16-03, 11:31 PM   #59
The Baron

Quote:
Linux Platform?? Give me a break...

Linux is one big retard OS which comes packed on 3CDs
See, you just proved your complete and utter ignorance here. I point you at Knoppix. The end.
Old 09-16-03, 11:34 PM   #60
lukar

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
See, you just proved your complete and utter ignorance here. I point you at Knoppix. The end.
I have Knoppix distribution and playing with it, when I'm so bored and nothing have to do...