Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-03, 09:07 AM   #73
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Uh-oh, Hellbinder's posting sense again. OGL support on ATI is lacking at the moment, but that's just because of the relative immaturity of their OGL drivers compared to NVIDIA's. They've been focusing on D3D because yes, that's where the majority of the market is centered.
same thing with linux. ATI are finally starting to do some work though it's not a huge amount.

anyway I thought the new ATI cards have support for all opengl up to 2.0, but they just haven't activated it in the drivers yet cos it's not used?
Old 09-17-03, 09:11 AM   #74
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
same thing with linux. ATI are finally starting to do some work though it's not a huge amount.

anyway I thought the new ATI cards have support for all opengl up to 2.0, but they just haven't activated it in the drivers yet cos it's not used?
OGL2 isn't done yet. OGL1.5, which is basically what OGL2 was supposed to be, just came out, so I assume ATI is working on a GLSLang compiler and will release drivers by 2004 (not like anything will use it before then anyway).
Old 09-17-03, 09:18 AM   #75
Sotos

Well dissapointment is starting to become a hobby for Nvidia i guess

Lets see if they continue making Mistakes like that
-[color=blue]POWERCOLOR 9800pro 128\cat 4.1\Dx9.0b [/color] [color=red](Waiting for R420 or Nv40)[/color]
-Sounblaster Audigy 2 ZS [color=blue](using latest Creative Eax 4.0 driver)[/color]
-PSU Zalman 400W Quiet sollution
-Windows XP home SP1 + Sp2 packages
-[color=red] - Jeniffer Lopez - Ennrique Inglesia - Ricky Martin - Britney Spears are SKUNKS!!! [/color]
Sotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 09:44 AM   #76
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Send a message via ICQ to serAph Send a message via AIM to serAph Send a message via Yahoo to serAph

Quote:
Originally posted by Sotos
Well dissapointment is starting to become a hobby for Nvidia i guess

Lets see if they continue making Mistakes like that
where the hell did that come from?! lol - random nvidia bashing
serAph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 09:56 AM   #77
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by serAph
where the hell did that come from?! lol - random nvidia bashing
It sounded more like resignation and despair to me, but whatever floats your boat.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 09:59 AM   #78
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Send a message via ICQ to serAph Send a message via AIM to serAph Send a message via Yahoo to serAph

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
It sounded more like resignation and despair to me, but whatever floats your boat.
hey you never know around here. Well - actually, I bet if one did a #of posts vs. company preferance tally, the higher posts numbered ppl would probably prefer ATi atm...

...even back when GeForce 3's were new and stuff, was this place so anti-nvidia?
Old 09-17-03, 10:02 AM   #79
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
hey you never know around here. Well - actually, I bet if one did a #of posts vs. company preferance tally, the higher posts numbered ppl would probably prefer ATi atm...

...even back when GeForce 3's were new and stuff, was this place so anti-nvidia?
the anti-nvidia sentiment you speak of has been a growing voice of discontent since the nv30 delays started and then the eyebrows raised @ the things going on with that device and subsequent releases...

I dont think consumers in general like being lied to...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 10:04 AM   #80
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
the anti-nvidia sentiment you speak of has been a growing voice of discontent since the nv30 delays started and then the eyebrows raised @ the things going on with that device and subsequent releases...

I dont think consumers in general like being lied to...
or having $520 stolen from them!

Old 09-17-03, 10:11 AM   #81
ChrisRay

I can think of several games that have Built in Support for OpenGL and arent what I'd consider "old" games./

Doom 3, Neverwinter Nights, NWN expansion. Warcraft 3. Wc3, The Frozen Throne. Unreal Tournament 2003.

I like the fact that DirectX exists. And I like what it stands for. The Day OpenGL completely dies out tho is the day I become a console gamer. OpenGL is the only reason Macintosh users even have games. Because its easily portable.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 10:12 AM   #82
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisRay
I can think of several games that have Built in Support for OpenGL and arent what I'd consider "old" games./

Doom 3, Neverwinter Nights, NWN expansion. Warcraft 3. Wc3, The Frozen Throne. Unreal Tournament 2003.

I like the fact that DirectX exists. And I like what it stands for. The Day OpenGL completely dies out tho is the day I become a console gamer. OpenGL is the only reason Macintosh users even have games. Because its easily portable.
well, insnt OpenGL theoretically a lot more powerful than DirectX anyway?
Old 09-17-03, 10:16 AM   #83
ChrisRay

Quote:
well, insnt OpenGL theoretically a lot more powerful than DirectX anyway?

Theoretically more powerful? I think the word you are looking for is versatile.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 10:19 AM   #84
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisRay
Theoretically more powerful? I think the word you are looking for is versatile.
well, from what Ive heard, it can do anything DirectX can do and more theoretically, you just gotta be good enough to know how to code it. I assume DirectX limits you to what it contains?