Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-03, 10:21 AM   #85
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally posted by serAph
well, from what Ive heard, it can do anything DirectX can do and more theoretically, you just gotta be good enough to know how to code it. I assume DirectX limits you to what it contains?
By It's own updates yes. OpenGL is also OpenSource. So if you have the hardware, And are willing to develop the extensions. You can most certainly get features on the fly. Main benefit of OpenGL
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 10:23 AM   #86
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Send a message via ICQ to serAph Send a message via AIM to serAph Send a message via Yahoo to serAph

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisRay
By It's own updates yes. OpenGL is also OpenSource. So if you have the hardware, And are willing to develop the extensions. You can most certainly get features on the fly. Main benefit of OpenGL
carmack is god
serAph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 10:31 AM   #87
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by serAph
carmack is god
Yup, with feet-o-clay.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 11:15 AM   #88
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

The OpenGL homepage - pay it a visit. You just might learn something.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 11:21 AM   #89
goblin

Dx seems to be much more bloated vs open gl. Although speed seems to be better than in the past.

Remembering way back when. Games the were coded in all three.
Glide was fastest on 3dfx hardware then open GL, Dx7 slowest. Now it may have been sloppy programming but dx seemed to use much more system ram, games in general were more sluggish vs open GL.

Can anyone explain why Dx is so bloated vs Open GL?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisRay
I can think of several games that have Built in Support for OpenGL and arent what I'd consider "old" games./

Doom 3, Neverwinter Nights, NWN expansion. Warcraft 3. Wc3, The Frozen Throne. Unreal Tournament 2003.

I like the fact that DirectX exists. And I like what it stands for. The Day OpenGL completely dies out tho is the day I become a console gamer. OpenGL is the only reason Macintosh users even have games. Because its easily portable.
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 11:26 AM   #90
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally posted by goblin
Dx seems to be much more bloated vs open gl. Although speed seems to be better than in the past.
Yes and yes. What can be accomplished in 15 lines of DX code can be done in 1/3 of that with OpenGL. I'm not technical enough to explain why DX is more bloated, but I can tell you that typically a game that can run in OpenGL and Direct3D will be at least 5% faster in OpenGL. It's my understanding that DirectX is a more CPU-intensive API.

And BTW, UT2003 is not a good example of OpenGL. Its OpenGL renderer is slow and buggy, totally unlike the renderer from the original Unreal Tournament. I wish Epic would give the UT2003 OpenGL the same kind of attention it got in the first game.
Old 09-17-03, 11:28 AM   #91
lukar

OpenGL is open sourse, and belong to Linux and MAC. I'm talking about Windows. Windows doesn't need OPENGL neither I. But as I said everything what comes in OpenGL comes from DX, and that's the fact. OPENGL by itself with no DX is dead API. Pixel Shader 1.4 in Doom 3, where is it come from? Of course DX and so on.
Linux community is nothing more than a bunch of liers, and thefts who stole many codes from UNIX, and ideas from Microsoft, like OpenOffice 1.0
They copied Microsoft Office, and than they claim yeah Microsoft Office sucks, OpenOffice 1.0 is better, what a joke. One day if Linux get a standard and one company stand behind, they are going to court for all stolen codes in it.
lukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 11:32 AM   #92
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally posted by lukar
OpenGL is open sourse, and belong to Linux and MAC. I'm talking about Windows. Windows doesn't need OPENGL neither I. But as I said everything what comes in OpenGL comes from DX, and that's the fact. OPENGL by itself with no DX is dead API. Pixel Shader 1.4 in Doom 3, where is it come from? Of course DX and so on.
Linux community is nothing more than a bunch of liers, and thefts who stole many codes from UNIX, and ideas from Microsoft, like OpenOffice 1.0
They copied Microsoft Office, and than they claim yeah Microsoft Office sucks, OpenOffice 1.0 is better, what a joke. One day if Linux get a standard and one company stand behind, they are going to court for all stolen codes in it.
I see dumb people....

Old 09-17-03, 11:40 AM   #93
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I see dumb people....

Stop it! I'm trying to behave and that is NOT helping!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 11:46 AM   #94
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Send a message via ICQ to serAph Send a message via AIM to serAph Send a message via Yahoo to serAph

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer

Stop it! I'm trying to behave and that is NOT helping!
*snicker*

*sigh* ironic how the stupidity of others brings us all together!
Old 09-17-03, 11:50 AM   #95
Hellbinder

Quote:
Uh-oh, Hellbinder's posting sense again. OGL support on ATI is lacking at the moment, but that's just because of the relative immaturity of their OGL drivers compared to NVIDIA's. They've been focusing on D3D because yes, that's where the majority of the market is centered.
I am usually talking sence. Its the message people dont like sometimes. Plus i cut the crap and just say it. (Btw I have had the Flu for the last 3-4 days)
Quote:
Yes and yes. What can be accomplished in 15 lines of DX code can be done in 1/3 of that with OpenGL
This is an argument from the DX6/7 days. It has not been as accurate a point since DX8. Its even less accurate with Dx9.

OpenGL is Good, But it is not a Magic Carpet. OpenGL also lacks the Set Standards that DX9 has. Which is both a Good and VERY BAD thing at the same time. Our famous Ace in the hole Doom-III is a prime example. Where Nvidia gets to run the game at an average of about 1/3 or LESS the Percision of Their ATi Counterparts. The Reduced Quality is being Cleverly *Hidden* by Carmack For the Specific reason that it not make Nvidia hardware look bad. This is another case where Money Talks. Believe it.

In other words the overall Possible Quality that the game could show is being intentionally Crippled by some tricky internal code in order to put the VASTE differences between Rendering Quality paths on an Even playing field. The whole thing is made possible becuase of Proprietary IQ reducing and Shortcut filled Extensions Nvidia coded for their Poorly performing hardware.

Thus it is at the same time A Blessing (For Nvidia users) and a Curse (For everyone else).
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-03, 11:52 AM   #96
serAph
The Original Superfreak

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
OpenGL is Good, But it is not a Magic Carpet. OpenGL also lacks the Set Standards that DX9 has. Which is both a Godd and VERY BAD thing at the same time. Our famous example Doom-III is a prime example. Where Nvidia gets to run the game at an average of about 1/3 or LESS the Percision of Their ATi Counterparts. The Reduced Quality is being Cleverly *Hidden* by Carmack For the Specific reason that it not make Nvidia hardware look bad. This is another case where Money Talks. Believe it.

In other words the overall Possible Quality that the game could show is being intentionally Crippled by soem tricky internal code in order to put the VASTE differences between Rendering Quality paths on an Even playing field. The whole thing is made possible becuase of Proprietary IQ reducing and Shortcut filled Extensions Nvidia coded for their Poorly performing hardware.

Thus it is at the same time A Blessing (For Nvidia users) and a Curse (For everyone else).
in cases like 5600 vs 9600 I see the quality diff being tremendous - but what about 5900 vs 9800? That gap wont be as large, will it? Especially with goodies turned on?