Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-30-02, 08:04 AM   #1
Matthius

Send a message via ICQ to Matthius Send a message via AIM to Matthius
Angry Geforce 2's always freeze!

Can anyone tell me why my geforce 2 mx 440 always freezes? it usually only does it in direct3d. it only rarely freezes in opengL.

I get Frame rates in counter strike at about 20-30 frames a second. is my computer crap? or is there something i can do about it?

My stats:
p2 celeron 500mhz (yeah, that sucks i know)
192mb
asus ax6l motherboard
geforce 2 ms 440 32mb
anything else you need? just ask.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-30-02, 05:24 PM   #2
sancheuz

You have the infamous infinite loop problem. Join the club. Your only hope? Get a new system, and yes your system needs upgrading, if you want to be a gamer, right a way. I could custom built you a system for cheap if you like. Just contact me at sancheuz@yahoo.com for more info.
Old 08-30-02, 07:11 PM   #3
Matthius

okay, so right now, i dont really have that much money to spend on my computer, so if there was one or two things that would upgrade it to make it better, what would i get? and what is this loop thing? when if freezes, the sound still keeps going, but nothing new is happening. (no guys trying to kill me in quake 3 for example)

Oh and another thing, with my video card, the only drivers that work are the ones on the cd that came with it. i've downloaded 3 different ones for geforce2's at the nvidia site, and still it doesn't work! if just stops loading when i get into windows. do you know why it does that? thanks
Old 08-30-02, 08:28 PM   #4
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Talking

My GF2 used to do that. I got sick of it, bought a Geforce 4 and the problem went away.
Old 08-30-02, 10:24 PM   #5
Matthius

thanks for the help. hey, i tried it on my friends computer down the road, and it worked. i think i might just sell it and buy a geforce 4. guess theres nothing else i can do is there?
Old 08-31-02, 02:21 PM   #6
sancheuz

Yes, but infinite loop problem not just caused by video card. So make sure you get warranty on video card you buy in case it is your system, you could return your purchase.
Old 08-31-02, 04:48 PM   #7
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Any chance it could be a heat problem with your pc and or video card? Also this hard lock that you get is common when overclocking your card too much, even if you are not overclocking your card maybe you could try to underclock it a little to see if that helps. For a hard clock you would only need to reduce the speed of the core and not the memory. Run some games of whatever, leaving your case off and keep an eye on the video card temps.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-02, 05:35 PM   #8
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

or it can be an inadequate power supply. Try getting something like 300W. I think 300W is more than enough for a GF2. 600W I am using for NV30 when it comes out. But I think that has its own Power Supply. Anyways, check it out.

Old 08-31-02, 06:32 PM   #9
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"

Send a message via AIM to Dazz

Make sure you have adequate airflow make sure you have at least a 3400rpm front fan or something bringing in cool air. No cool air = heat build up = crashing = death. Try opening up your case and have a fan or something blowing on it then test it.
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 10:29 AM   #10
SavagePaladin
info*****

all this crap is why i'm thinking of getting a barebones...from Shuttle....next time....mmm.......hehehehehehehehe
<falls unconscious>
zzzzzzzzz
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 01:09 PM   #11
johnyb

Default mine does this too

i have a via kt 333a 1.8 xp 512 pc 2100 ram geforce 2 pro

running windows xp. i have a big server case for airflow and 2 added case fans i have a 15 quid heatsink and fan from coolermaster? why should mine infinite loop?
Old 09-04-02, 02:00 PM   #12
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Default Re: mine does this too

Quote:
Originally posted by johnyb
i have a via kt 333a 1.8 xp 512 pc 2100 ram geforce 2 pro

running windows xp. i have a big server case for airflow and 2 added case fans i have a 15 quid heatsink and fan from coolermaster? why should mine infinite loop?
Check which drivers you are using as I know a little while back there was a problem, which I think was the drivers. All I can say is update your drivers, at the time NVMax had something u ticked which was to fix the loop problem? Also maybe listing your whole system specs may help.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote