Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-12, 08:13 AM   #25
Hogrider

Default Re: What tablet do you prefer?

If it is considered firing on someone for saying getting an Android is settling, then I guess saying Android sucks would be considered as dropping a nuclear bomb.
Old 06-02-12, 01:53 PM   #26
Rakeesh

My boss and I were talking about what kind of tablet I should get to read all of the books they are buying for me. He asked if I had an ipad, and I told him no, and he advised against getting one anyways because they aren't really that comfortable to read with. I agreed because I have a touchpad and I find its more comfortable to read kindle books with my phone than that thing.

After we talked about it for a bit, I said I would get a 7" tablet of some sort, because they're about the same size and weight as a small book, and unlike 10" or larger tablets, their battery lasts much longer.

That would be either the kindle fire, or the new google nexus tablet that is coming out next month (priced at $200, with some rather beefy hardware.)

As for "settling" - I currently have enough liquid assets to buy a small apartment. Nothing in the consumer space is beyond my price range.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 02:09 PM   #27
mojoman0

any lcd isn't comfortable to read with. If you are planning on seriously reading with a tablet, go e ink. Android is such a terrible experience compared to ios, you really just need to go with an ipad, and just get a memory card adapter for $5 if you really need it
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 05:35 PM   #28
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
any lcd isn't comfortable to read with. If you are planning on seriously reading with a tablet, go e ink. Android is such a terrible experience compared to ios, you really just need to go with an ipad, and just get a memory card adapter for $5 if you really need it
It's not that at all, actually. Just holding a big obnoxious screen in bed is uncomfortable. Everybody I know who owns a kindle fire likes it a lot, and it's LCD based. Everybody I know with an ipad gives it mixed reviews for ebook reading at best.

And I'm actually quite comfortable reading one book from my phone (I've almost finished it in fact, reading it entirely from my phone.) An ios user wouldn't know what that's like because they are used to a tiny screen. However real phones allow the option of having a larger screen, so its a bit of a different experience (in my case, I have a 4.7" screen.) However I think a 7" screen would be ideal - not too big, and not too small.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 06-02-12, 09:30 PM   #29
Hogrider

It's not about price. I'm sure most of us with Apple products paid more than if we got an Android device so it's not beyond our price ranges either. It's simply that the ipad is better and you will be settling if you get something else.
Old 06-02-12, 11:23 PM   #30
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
It's not about price. I'm sure most of us with Apple products paid more than if we got an Android device so it's not beyond our price ranges either. It's simply that the ipad is better and you will be settling if you get something else.
But that's just the thing - you guys claim it's better but you can never put your finger on why. Usually it is with vague terms like "polish". On mythbusters, they proved that you can polish a real turd. Does that make it worth anything though?

Android on the other hand is quite easy to quantify - several fold in fact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayx4XsBaJBI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsGQ_xts_Gw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPKVWv1WxU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5A4k1bDV0s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJRoGfvztaw

Old 06-03-12, 12:10 AM   #31
Hogrider

I only feel obligated to explain myself to certain people. People that I owe money, people that pay me and people I have sex with.

Now I am almost 100% positive I don't have any financial dealings with you.
As for the sex, I am almost 80% positive we've never bumped uglies. Please let me know however if you have proof to the contrary.
Old 06-03-12, 01:17 AM   #32
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
I only feel obligated to explain myself to certain people. People that I owe money, people that pay me and people I have sex with.

Now I am almost 100% positive I don't have any financial dealings with you.
As for the sex, I am almost 80% positive we've never bumped uglies. Please let me know however if you have proof to the contrary.
Actually now that you mention it, you remember that time when you were feeling frisky, put on that leather bondage gear, bent over, and then yelled out "show me what you got!"?

Well I took a picture.

So anyways, about that explanation...

Old 06-03-12, 02:43 AM   #33
Hogrider

Old 06-05-12, 05:11 PM   #34
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Good news for Android productivity. Google just bought QuickOffice. Hopefully they give the Android side of the app and kick up the arse.
Good deal - I spent quite a bit of time with ipads 2 & 3 today, comparing them to the ASUS TF300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230394

The ipads came up short on price, features and hardware, so Asus it will be.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 08:07 PM   #35
Hogrider

Well now that you have made a decision I hope you can slow down and relax again...
This song is for you

Old 06-05-12, 08:28 PM   #36
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Excellent. To bad that's the wrong choice. ::

Just kidding. Least it's not a Galaxy. Our Galaxy Tabs go flat from being turned off. :: The iPads sit on standby for all week at 100%, the Tabs are flat within a week and they are 100% off and shutdown. I would say faulty battery, but they all do it.

I gave a galaxy, an Iconia and the ipads a good run through, and while I do love the ipad they just couldn't outdo the TF300.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote