Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-18-03, 03:50 PM   #1
Sean

Angry X Locking up.

I've installed Mandrake 9.1 (downloaded ISOs) on a spare machine:
Basic Info:
AMD T-Bird 800
Asus A7V (with onboard promise controller disabled)
512Mb SD-RAM
80GB WD800JB disk.

Video Card:
Asus V7100 GeForce 2 Mx (32Mb)
or also tried
ABit Siluro Geforce 2 Mx 400 (64Mb)

Mandrake Linux 6.1
KDE

Problem:
I installed Mandrake Linux on this machine to play around with PyOpenGL. The install of Mandrake and the packages required for PyOpenGL (Mesa3,PyNumeric) went smoothly but since the default on Mandrake is to use the XFree driver (nv) GL performance is really slow even on simple programs. I downloaded the latest NVidia drivers and installed them (note: under mandrake you must add the module to /etc/modules as the installer won't do it for you). GL performance is much much better but the machine locks up at random intervals.

By lockup I mean I can still move the mouse but the display doesn't update and they keyboard locks as well. This happens randomly so I it either happens shortly after boot or while I'm editing code (which ever is most annoying at the time). On this list I noticed I should try disabling AGP (Option "NvAGP" "0") though that doesn't help. In fact I have no options specified in my Device section for the videon in XF86Config-4. If I switch back to the nv driver things work fine (albeit GL is slow which is the whole purpose for using this machine).

There is another post on this list which would suggest litterally messing with an older driver (1521) with DD but that is very scarry and I'd like to avoid it. I've also read that the 0.9XX serious fixed a similar problem but NVidia doesn't have anything from that serious available for download on their site.

Can anyone suggest a means to fix this or even point me in the right direction? Does anyone have a suggestion on a medium range card that is known good in a configuration (maybe even a different chip set)?
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 01:40 PM   #2
pdavid

I just wanted to add that I am experiencing the same problem
(abit kt7a, amd tbird 1333, gf 5600 ultra)...

and, much like yourself, people are apparently treating this like a bad car accident (lots of rubberneckers, nobody stopping to help).

So, does anyone have any advice on how to track down the problem, or (even better) an option to get things going?
Old 10-05-03, 02:56 PM   #3
Sean

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by pdavid
I just wanted to add that I am experiencing the same problem
(abit kt7a, amd tbird 1333, gf 5600 ultra)...
I borrowed a GF2 Ultra and that doesn't seem to have the problem. I wonder if it is with specific OEM chipsets/runs? My card in question was an Asus.

Quote:

and, much like yourself, people are apparently treating this like a bad car accident (lots of rubberneckers, nobody stopping to help).

So, does anyone have any advice on how to track down the problem, or (even better) an option to get things going?
I would have been happy with a reply of 'yeah that's wierd' instead of nothing at all. Since the GF2 Ultra works I'm pretty much going to give up on the problem.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-03, 04:17 PM   #4
VMUNIX

Send a message via ICQ to VMUNIX
Thumbs down

seems like I'm not the only one, I just installed a GF-4 MX440 with 128Mb DDR 8X , the mobo is an EPOX 8K9A9I and XP2000 processor, APIC disabled in BIOS.
I've installed the latest drivers and did what the nVidia manual said I had to touch, in the XF86 config. file, and certainly it works far better, but X locks ramdomly, except the mouse cursor.

I have RedHat 9 with Gnome/Bluecurve default theme, the best way to freeze X in seconds is to try the first screensaver, I think its name is Anemone, try it!

I don't know what's going on, many many people are having the same problem I think nVidia must release a patch for this driver, or let the Open community take the Linux-nVidia drivers development .
VMUNIX is offline   Reply With Quote