Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-14-12, 12:21 PM   #85
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: iOS 6 Confirmed for WWDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Boot Camp (Win 8) on the Retina Pro: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6008/w...ay-macbook-pro

At full 2880x1800 with different scalings. Quite interesting.
Interesting indeed.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 01:40 PM   #86
Redeemed

Rakeesh- I'm honestly enjoying our little debate immensely. However it's far from on topic. Think we can agree to disagree?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 02:10 PM   #87
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Rakeesh- I'm honestly enjoying our little debate immensely. However it's far from on topic. Think we can agree to disagree?
Sure, though it's not really off topic when you think about it, the hardware design of the macbook is on topic.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 04:10 PM   #88
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Then take it to the MacBook thread. This is for iOS6. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 07:47 PM   #89
Hogrider

Old 06-17-12, 08:13 PM   #90
Cylphid

Apple's iOS 6 to add privacy controls for user contacts.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...user-contacts/

Not surprising but good to see.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 11:57 AM   #91
six_storm

Quote:
There are already a few solutions and workarounds out there to get the native resolution working on the Retina By the time I'll get mine, there should be a nice, well made solution available.

This is how it looks, OS X at 2880x1800 on a 15.4" screen

As a resolution junkie, I'd love to use that for certain tasks. Especially early on when a few Apps still need to be Retina-optimized. Later on, it won't be necessary unless you really need the extra desktop real estate
Wow, that is really nice. I really hope that Apple will incorporate this type of screen in other products over the next year or two. Maybe by then, I can have a nice 15" MBA with 1080p or higher resolution. One can dream.
Old 06-18-12, 01:09 PM   #92
six_storm

Quote:
1080p on a 15" would be far from Retina. I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 from 2003 that already does 1920x1200 on a 15.4" screen. I'd say Apple now has the Retina 15" panel they need

The next Retina will probably be a 13" MacBook Pro model. Then once the panels get more common, they can bring it to the entry-level line-up, where additionally they won't need as many pixels anyway, at least on the 11".
iMac and Thunderbolt Display will be tough to update because those Retina 27" panels won't be affordable or even available anytime soon.

But why do you still want a 15" Air? I was also waiting for such a laptop (Air-like 15" with Retina Screen), like I mentioned the week before the keynote. But Apple didn't stop there, they went all out and brought high-end performance to a thin and light. That's much better in my opinion. It's the complete package. A 15" Air would weight slightly less but you'd sacrifice a lot of horse power.
I do agree that it would sacrifice HP, but more than anything, I'd like to the price to come back down. I'll always have the entry level MBP whenever I purchase another one. Thin and light 15" model with a killer GPU is what I'm looking for. I won't lie that not being able to swap out RAM and HDD is kinda crap but I'll manage.

Old 06-18-12, 01:39 PM   #93
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Yeah, I saw that, you can now toggle contact access, Facebook, Twitter, Calander and Reminder by any app. It's a nice feature. I already used it to stop my Facebook contacts appearing in my contacts list.
Any other info crainger? I'm asking because a friend of mine is considering springing for the dev account so he can install the dev beta.

That and the fact that you seem to be the only one talking about iOS 6 in the iOS 6 thread.

Thanks
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 03:02 PM   #94
six_storm

Quote:
That's exactly what the Retina Pro is

As for the price, the Retina Entry Level model is actually cheaper than the Normal Entry Level. You want at least 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD anyway, right? I'd say that's the minimum configuration for any decent new laptop these days. And with that, the Normal model is more expensive and you still don't have a Retina screen or the new form factor.

btw, SSD is upgradeable, just like with the Airs. It just needs a bit of time because they changed the interface, probably because of SATA 3. Only the RAM is soldered.
Gotcha. What if I wanted to upgrade the RAM to 16GB 1 or 2 years down the road? Kinda stinks that you are stuck with 8GB ya know? I guess when I get an expensive machine, I keep it for at least 3-4 years.
Old 06-21-12, 01:28 AM   #95
Viral
Registered User of Women

Mini DP 1.4 could do the same thing, no need for thunderbolt. If it were cheaper, cool, but I can't see the prices of cables and devices for it dropping enough for it to become a viable standard for everyone. People who pay Apple prices, sure.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 09:02 PM   #96
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
Yeah the video signal within TB is based on DisplayPort. But TB doesn't stop there. TB really adds a lot of flexibility and expandability to today's computers, especially notebooks. It's a fantastic interface. Hopefully the PC world will start adopting it as well, just like it was with Firewire. It's already available on some highend Z77 boards. But I really hope that Intel will make it a standard for their Ultrabook platform as well. And once the Xeons will get an integrated GPU, their workstation platform should be ready for it also. Apple needs this to happen in order to bring the Mac Pro into this fantastic TB world

I don't think that the prices of TB devices have much to do with the interface itself. The cables maybe but not the devices. This interface is not made for a flash drive like USB. It's made for high-performance scenarios and the available hardware is also made for that, like DAS arrays, highend cameras and so on. It's not TB that makes that equipment expensive. But it's TB that finally make those devices a realistic option
The cables are at 5x the cost of DP cables, and 20x the cost of USB3 cables. Cables aside though, the chipset required in all thunderbolt devices is around $30 cost to the manufacturer, vs $3 for a USB to SATA bridge used in USB3 external drives for example. Then for anything display, DP covers it without the expensive chip and cable...

If thunderbolt were 20Gbit+ it might be worth it, but at only twice the speed of USB3, no benefit over DP and 10x the cost for manufacturers with very poor compatibility, it just isn't worth it for the masses - and yes, it has to be viable for the masses for any connection standard to take off. It's nice having one standard for data and display, but it's not cost effective and it doesn't look like it ever will be. Sure, high end devices need a lot of bandwidth, but for the majority of devices, including most high end devices, 5Gb IS enough, especially considering the massive cost difference.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote