Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-02, 02:34 AM   #1
rizen

Send a message via ICQ to rizen Send a message via AIM to rizen Send a message via Yahoo to rizen
Default rm_init_adapter failure

My system:
Debian testing/unstable (+experimental)
P3-866Mhz
256MB RAM (32MB given to video)
on-board Alladin Riva TNT2
XFree86 4.2.0(+some_odd_debian_revision_number)
Kernel 2.4.18 custom compiled

On X startup, it claims that it can't load NVdriver. lsmod lists NVdriver as loaded. dmesg reports the following:

nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVdriver Kernel Module 1.0-3123 Tue Aug 27 15:56:48 PDT 2002
NV0: rm_init_adapter failed

and here's some extra info:

[~] $ ls -l /dev/nv*
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 Jul 15 16:06 /dev/nvidia0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 1 Jul 15 16:06 /dev/nvidia1
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 2 Jul 15 16:06 /dev/nvidia2
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 3 Jul 15 16:06 /dev/nvidia3
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 Jul 15 16:06 /dev/nvidiactl

And yes, I am a member of group video. I do have "Assign IRQ to VGA" enabled, my video is IRQ 11. I should also note that the driver works fine in Win2k.

XF86Config-4 attached
Old 09-14-02, 02:37 AM   #2
rizen

Send a message via ICQ to rizen Send a message via AIM to rizen Send a message via Yahoo to rizen

Er... thought it was attached...
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4.txt (3.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 10-18-02, 09:50 AM   #3
tortir

I'm getting the same error. Did you figure out the problem?

Thanks,
Rich
tortir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-02, 04:07 PM   #4
rizen

Unhappy nope

Sadly, no. I've sent a few messages to nVidia's linux tech support, to no avail.
Old 10-18-02, 04:14 PM   #5
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Does 1.0-2960 work for either of you?

Rizen, I apologize that you haven't had a response from linux-bugs. When did you send your mail?

--andy
Old 10-18-02, 04:25 PM   #6
rizen

My first mail was sent a number of months ago, and I got a reply in about two weeks from Andy Ritger, advising me to try the latest driver, as he had heard that there were some bugs specific to my chipset fixed in it. Not much after his reply, a newer one came out, so I tried that instead, giving the results I list here. I left this post for about 24 hours, then I replied directly to him with the same information on 17 Sept. After waiting a few weeks with no results, I forwarded that mail to the main linux-bugs address on 8 Oct.

And, no I haven't tried that driver. (At least, I don't think I have.) I may give it a try later on tonight.
Old 10-21-02, 06:46 AM   #7
tortir

I got a similar message with 1.0-2960. The only difference was that the underscores were removed from the call (rmInitAdapter). I have been successful using this version on a different machine.

Rich
Old 10-21-02, 09:04 AM   #8
tortir

Here's some more info on my system.
linux 2.4.18 custom compile (RTAI patch)
GeForce 4 420 MX pci card
Portwell ROBO 667 sbc (VIA Appolo 133T chipset)

Old 11-08-02, 01:15 PM   #9
blaisorblade

I've compiled the kernel module against my running kernel, but I experience the same problem. I'm using an Aladdin TNT2, with the lspci -v output I send as attachment. It has M1621/1533(North/South) ALi chipset. The problem is not related to any version mismatch, neither to a problems with files in /dev: it's a problem of the driver with the PC. If you search in this forum rm_init_adapter rminitadapter (space separated, so it is an "OR"), you will get four threads(at this moment) with people having this problem. Since I noticed here there is someone of the nvidia tech support(Andy Mecham), do check this problem. My distribution is a RH 7.3 with a custom compiled 2.4.19 kernel.
Attached Files
File Type: txt lspci-v.out.txt (2.8 KB, 108 views)
blaisorblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-02, 09:33 PM   #10
myousaf

I'm having the same problem. I'm running Debian, a custom-built kernel based on 2.4.19. I have an ALi chipset (M1621) with an Aladdin TNT2 video card. I'm also getting the NV0: rm_init_adapter failed error message when trying to start X. My video card used to work when I was using the 2.4.9 kernel but ever since I upgraded, I haven't been able to get it working. I have made sure that the appropriate lines are changed in XFree86, the nvidia device files have the right permissions, the nvidia drivers have been compiled against the appropriate kernel headers, etc. /var/log/XFree86.0.log does not say much about the failure... simply that the NVdriver failed to initialize.