Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-03, 11:15 AM   #1
jardel

Default NVNET problem

Hi,
I am a newbie in Linux, but I do have lots of background on many OSs. I recently installed Redhat 9.0 and it didn't detect my NF7's Ethernet card. So i downloaded the drivers from Nvidia and installed them. Now, I can choose Nvnet from the network setup, but it fails to initialize the card.

I read similar posts about this at this forum, but I couldn't figure out how to solve this.

One thing I am concerned about it is that the recompilation of kernel or upgrading kernel. I downloaded the latest kernel upgrade from Redhat, and installed it as

rpm -Uhv kernel-???

and i did make dep.

When I reboot, the kernel version was upgraded.

However, I don't think the kernel source is upgraded.

I am not sure how this works, but i wonder if its really necessary for NVnet driver.

If so, can you show me how to solve this problem ?

Thanks a lot.
jardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-03, 04:01 AM   #2
ychai4

Default RE: NVNET problem

I have the same problem as you. It appears that NVIDIA's latest drivers are incompatible with the newest kernel - 2.4.22. I believe that this is caused by the binary-only library offered with the nvnet driver, it appears to have been compiled for 2.4.20.

One word of advice: it seems to work fine with kernel 2.4.21. However... if you have an NFORCE2 based motherboard, kernel 2.4.22 contains many improvements and driver updates that better support this hardware, and I do not suggest downgrading.

The only way this will be fixed is if NVIDIA's developers decide to recompile the driver for 2.4.22 and release a new version.
ychai4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-03, 10:05 AM   #3
jardel

Actually, when I first installed Redhat 9.0, it's version was 2.4.20 and I had the same problem. It installs nvnet driver and when I choose it, it cannot detect the driver. Should I get an ethernet card?
Old 09-21-03, 07:29 PM   #4
rollerboy21

Same problem here, Installed the 2.4.20.6 and nvnet didnt work...Im using original install.
rollerboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-03, 08:24 PM   #5
jardel

Ok. Do you mind telling me the steps you took installing the driver for the old kernel?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-03, 12:18 PM   #6
matrix_it

my redhat 7.3 with 2.4.21 kernel hang when i use latest nvnet driver for my asus A7N8X-X. All work fine if i disable on board NIC and add a PCI NIC.
matrix_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-03, 05:29 PM   #7
markdav

This sounds like the problem I'm having with a Shuttle SN41G2 running a new install of RH9 (yes - another Linux noob).

I recently installed kernel 2.4.20-20.9 then stuck on the nVidia Unified NForce Driver (NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_9.athlon.rpm).

Any suggestions to how I can get the onboard NIC working? This is really doing my head in!

Cheers

Mark
markdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-03, 01:18 PM   #8
hondo

Default same here with RH9

I have an sn41g2.....was starting to take it personally!...lol
Any further ideas chaps before I disable the onboard and spend some hard earned cash on a new nic?

Cheers

Dave
hondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-03, 11:45 PM   #9
JamesT

I have just successfully installed the NVNET driver on Redhat 9.0 (Abit NF7-M MB). Don't go for the binary rpms as they fall on either side of the kernel version (I have 2.4.20-8 from www.linuxiso.org).

Make sure you have installed the kernel source prior to running the following!

1. Download source rpm http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/n...0-0261.src.rpm
2. Run rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm (instructions say rpm --rebuild but is wrong as not a parameter to rpm).
3. Run rpm -i /usr/src/{RPM root dir}/RPMS/i386/nforce{package na****-1.0-1.rpm
4. Run 'insmod modulename' or 'modprobe modulename', where module name is /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o

The following link was really useful for configuration: http://www.linuxiso.org/forums/viewt...2856ef40144f9a

The second time I tried installing redhat there was no ifcfg-eth0 so I had to build it manually from above link.

Hope this helps.

James....
JamesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-03, 05:45 AM   #10
hondo

Im Gonna buy a replacement for the onboard as a backup but will try this out. I have an SN41g2 with onboard ethernet.
Many thanks for the detailed info...

Regards

Dave
hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-03, 01:26 PM   #11
playaz

Default 2.4.22 works

If you use the .tar.gz file from the NVIDIA website, you should be able to get nvnet working with redhat 9 - 2.4.22. Follow the README for instructions.
playaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-03, 01:48 AM   #12
babzog

Default Linux kernel 2.4.22 and nvnet trouble

Hello,

I've an MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR board (nForce2), Debian Linux installed and am trying to get the onboard LAN working. What I've achieved so far (using kernel 2.4.22 and the latest nforce drivers from nvidia's site):

Kernel is up and running. Enabled nforce chipset support, disabled APIC also passing 'acpi=off' via lilo's general append= line.

A fresh tree of the nforce driver results in an installed nvnet module. I added the alias line to the modules.conf (not directly, but via the proper debian manner). If I 'insmod nvnet', all appears well - I get the message about tainting and things look fine. If I then try to bring the interface up via 'ifup eth0' (using DHCP), it waits for about a minute, then returns to the prompt. ifconfig shows eth0 as being there, but no IP address is present.

If I try instead to:

ifconfig eth0 10.16.52.20 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 10.16.52.1

the command run, ifconfig shows things being properly configured, route-n shows the route being there, but the network is not active and working. I've tried:

- different cat5 cables
- pulling the plug from the back of the pc, shutting off for 10s and restarting.
- connecting the broadband modem directly to the interface (normally, a hub is connected).

Nothing gives me connectivity. If I plug the hub in, I get a link light. When I ping, I see activity on the port connected to my PC and tcpdump running on that interface shows network activity as being 'on the wire', but I can't do a thing.

I even tried loading the module with 'modprobe nvnet speed=1 duplex=1' to no avail.

Anyone else have ideas? I'm pulling my hair out.

Cheers!
babzog is offline   Reply With Quote