Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-31-11, 01:00 PM   #1
Hogrider

Default Logitech Revue with Google TV

I was thinking about getting one of these. They are $99 at Best Buy and I have a $20 Reward Zone certificate I could use.
I already have Netflix via my blu ray player and XBOX 360 so not too excited about that but it would be nice to be able to surf the web from the couch and I like how it integrates with the tv and your satellite box.

Anyone have one? Reviews?
Old 07-31-11, 01:43 PM   #2
Hogrider

Default Re: Logitech Revue with Google TV

Nevermind I just found one in stock at Best Buy so I'm going to go get it.
Old 07-31-11, 07:57 PM   #3
Hogrider

Picked it up and got it installed. Posting this using it now and it rocks. Damn nice device.
Old 10-28-11, 05:33 PM   #4
Hogrider

News is the Honeycomb update for the Sony Google TVs is supposed to start rolling out this Sunday. The Logitech Revue version of Google TV is supposed to get the update soon after.
This update will bring the Android Marketplace to your tv along with some fixes and cosmetic changes.
Old 10-28-11, 11:55 PM   #5
Rakeesh

What does it do, exactly? Is it a DVR of sorts?

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11, 04:31 AM   #6
Hogrider

Nope not a dvr.
It is similar to other boxes like Apple TV, Roku etc. in that you have Netflix, Amazon VOD, YouTube and Napster. Google TV also includes the Chrome browser so you can surf the net with flash although it isn't the quickest thing. I tried a flash game on Facebook for my grand daughter and it worked but it was pretty slow.
It also interacts with my Directv receiver in that I can pull up Google TV and see what's on now on Directv, the new update is suppose to improve upon that and also searching across Directv, the internet, Netflix etc.
Also it has picture in picture so you can be using Chrome to surf while the tv is still playing in a window in the corner of the screen or even have Netflix on with the tv in the corner, the new update is supposed to add more picture in picture functionality to more apps.
Here's a video showing off the update
Old 11-02-11, 07:09 PM   #7
Hogrider

I also see Google TV is going to have Plex now http://darrin.plexapp.com/2011/11/02...for-google-tv/
Old 11-12-11, 02:52 PM   #8
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

It's a mistake dan.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7060706.story
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-11, 03:28 PM   #9
Hogrider

Yep already seen that.
I just want the damn update already. Sony Google TVs got it a couple weeks ago but nothing for the Revue yet. On their site it says the Revue should get it before the end of the year.
Old 12-12-11, 10:26 PM   #10
Hogrider

Got the 3.1 Honeycomb update for the Revue this morning and I love it. Much smoother interface and Netflix now supports 1080P and 5.1 sound. The Youtube app is much improved and so is the TV/Movie search.
Not a lot of apps to download but I did get the classy Fireplace (stutters and buffers too much) and an IM client so I can sit on the couch and bug my wife on her phone and ipad.

I was going to start using the XBOX more to watch Netflix on since it has 5.1 sound now but screw that, the Revue will stay our Netflix player.

If they would have had this interface and Netflix player when they first came out I think it would have been quite a bit more successful.
Old 12-13-11, 08:02 AM   #11
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Plex powers my media devices now. I have the server running on my gaming PC, and from there I can access any movie, music or TV show from my iPad, iPhone or Apple TV. Heck, I can even take my Apple TV to my parents house and stream anything over the net!!! Best and easiest setup I've ever had.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 07:33 PM   #12
Hogrider

I rarely listen or watch anything on my computer so I don't know if I'll even get Plex (even though it's only .99)
The stock media player app in the Revue works ok. I can see all my pics, music and videos. Some of the videos I shot with our old Canon 5mp camera won't play even though they are AVI files. Also the hd video from our Canon video camera won't play either. Not a big deal though.