Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-12, 06:00 AM   #1
News

Post (Lazygamer) CNN predicting the death of consoles

MikeC: I don't agree that consoles will die. They will be "repackaged" to make use of cloud gaming at some point in the future. Reminder that "content is king."

From LazyGamer:

Quote:
CNN, that massive news behemoth, has been chatting about the results of E3 and have come to an interesting conclusion that I honestly can’t really fault. According to CNN the next generation of consoles will be the last.
More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 06:08 AM   #2
MikeC
Administrator

Lightbulb Re: (Lazygamer) CNN predicting the death of consoles

I don't agree that consoles will die. They will be "repackaged" to make use of cloud gaming at some point in the future. Reminder that "content is king."
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 12:28 PM   #3
frenchy2k1

Default Re: (Lazygamer) CNN predicting the death of consoles

the point of cloud gaming is that the box under your TV becomes irrelevant. The same box could theoretically plug into any network and play games from Sony, MS or other. Remember after all that for the 1st quarter of a console life, the manufacturer loses money. Switching to cloud gaming eliminates that and also allows lots of nice things for the publisher:
- total control. No more hack or even used market.
- gaming as a service. They can finally charge that monthly fee...
- gradual improvement. You can improve graphics or computing ability continually
- cheap box under the TV.
- full backward compatibility
- tack on other services. The console is just the way to get the box under the TV, then place as many services as possible on it. After all, this was always the real reason they fought for it: being the gate keeper for all your living room services.

downside? competition may open up. Online already sells such a box that can display 720p on a TV through HDMI to stream games from PC. They almost give it away and sell it for less than $100 at worst.
If the cable industry can get their head together for long enough, they'll realize the danger and the opportunity. Not holding my breath though...
I could see how
Old 06-17-12, 02:38 PM   #4
|MaguS|

Default Re: (Lazygamer) CNN predicting the death of consoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I don't agree that consoles will die. They will be "repackaged" to make use of cloud gaming at some point in the future. Reminder that "content is king."
Yeah 20 years or more in the future, Consoles will continue to be primarily a physical medium product for a long time. I expect PC Gaming to go the way of the Cloud before consoles.