Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-21-03, 04:39 PM   #1
andy47

Default Upgrading drivers breaks my Debian system

Hi all,

I had a working Debian (sarge) testing system running the nvidia drivers (version 1.0.2880) installed according to the instructions here (http://www.atomichamster.org/debian/nvidiadrivers/).

On my last few apt-get upgrades the packages had been replaced and I had to manually re-install the packages after each reboot.

So I decided it was time to upgrade (to version 1.0.4349) and faithfully followed the instructions to build new .deb files and reloaded them with dpkg.

And my system is now kaput. In vain I tried to install the drivers direct from NVidia (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-4496.html) but they don't work either.

The system will boot and everything appears to work, but the display flickers three times and then stays blank. If I press Alt-1 I can log in to a text terminal and check that there are no errors in the XFree86.0.log file.

From the research I did there don't appear to be any changes required to my XF86Config-4 file so I've left that alone.

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 8200 (nvidia geforce 440 is the card I believe) and the kernel I'm running is 2.4.18-bf2.4

Any and all suggestion are welcome.
andy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-03, 09:23 AM   #2
petros4060

Have you made sure that the right entry is in modules.conf (ie etc/modutils/aliases) I think the module name changed to nvidia so it should read alias char-major-195 nvidia. This fixed the problem on my debian systems - with sarge and woody

Peter
petros4060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-03, 06:55 AM   #3
andy47

The line in /etc/modutils/aliases is;

alias char-major-195 nvidia

Which is the same (I think) as I had previously. I haven't touched so I don't think the problem is there.
Old 09-25-03, 09:21 PM   #4
hpeters

Try adding :

Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV"

(assuming your using a crt or analog flat panel)

to your XF86Config-4 file under your video card section.

Worked for me

Harley
hpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 05:41 AM   #5
andy47

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks, but after a week and a bit of monkeying about I have given up.

Thanks to a Knoppix CD I've now got a working XF86Config-4 and am now up and running using what I presume is the 'nv' driver.
Old 10-02-03, 12:08 PM   #6
nib_maps

Default no problems here

I have an almost identical debian box. Works fine for me.
The best way to do this, is not to run nVidia's installer, but rather compile a kernel module yourself and then install it.
Also, you need to make sure the nVidia libraries are installed in the right places...

It would be a good idea to install:

nvidia-kernel-common
nvidia-glx

which provide the libraries as well as the /dev/ configuration.

As for the kernel module, if it compiled and can be found then it should be OK, but if not you may also install

nvidia-kernel-source
kernel-package
the headers packagefor your kernel

and recompile the module -- it will put it in a neat .deb that you can install. That's the way things were MEANT to happen on a debian system (but assumes you know how to use make-kpkg....)

I would attach my XF86 config file if only this stupid system allowed me to (without renaming it to .txt...)
nib_maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 02:34 PM   #7
andy47

As I said in my initial post, I started by installing the drivers the Debian way. In fact they were already installed using that method and working very nicely indeed.

Then the packages in the testing distribution were upgraded and everything went 'bang'. Hence my original post.

Anyway, as I said in my last post I've given up and gone back to the 'nv' drivers.