Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-12, 09:00 PM   #1
News

Post My father vs. Windows 8

In honor of Father's Day, I thought it might be fun to let my 55-year-old father play tech pundit for the day and give his impressions of Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8 operating system as he used it for the first time.

Windows 8 is Microsoft's attempt to modernize Windows for the new mobile-focused landscape. It will work on tablets, laptops, desktops, and new hybrid devices. It's a radically new OS that could be big for Microsoft, but there are concerns that Windows 8 could be the next Vista when it comes to adoption and acceptance by mainstream users.

I consider my father pretty representative of middle-class Americans older than 50 who don't pay attention to what the tech press cares or says. He uses his desktop computer for e-mail, watching videos, and general web browsing. As much as I have prodded him to upgrade to Windows 7, he has stayed with Windows XP. He's almost always been averse to change, and based on the conversation below, he doesn't seem that thrilled with Windows 8.

Watch my one-on-one with my father below as he tours Windows 8 for the first time and we talk about its viability with consumers like him:

Filed under: mobile, VentureBeat

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 09:36 PM   #2
MikeC
Administrator

Default Re: My father vs. Windows 8

This was my first look at Windows 8 as well. I was sad after watching the video. Microsoft doesn't care about their once loyal customers anymore. Wow.
MikeC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 09:41 PM   #3
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
This was my first look at Windows 8 as well. I felt sad for Microsoft after watching the video. They just don't care about their once loyal customers anymore.
And if they maintain that attitude, it *will* cost them dearly. Customers are what keep companies alive.

The closer we get to the Windows 8 launch, the more I hear average computer users asking about Macs. It seems most average folk, when shown Windows 8, are not impressed. You'd think with such negative feedback MS would pay attention. Maybe this is their way of begging to be humbled?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 05:18 AM   #4
MikeC
Administrator

Question Re: My father vs. Windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
And if they maintain that attitude, it *will* cost them dearly. Customers are what keep companies alive.
I wonder if that's the "real" reason behind Mr. Torvalds vicious attack against NVIDIA?
MikeC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 08:04 AM   #5
ViN86

On the topic of Windows 8, it's a funny thing. MS has made many changes over the past 10 years or so. People pretty much always reject what they offer at first. But the majority of the time they realize that the way MS has done it is actually faster.

So people hate the idea of Metro, just like people hated the ribbon bar in Office, but with time people will find that it is the Start menu reinvented, and faster. The alternative, is that it will actually suck and people will end using Macs/Linux. Either way, it's gonna be a good time.

Quote:
I wonder if that's the "real" reason behind Mr. Torvalds vicious attack against NVIDIA?
Linus has a valid point imo. I have a laptop with Optimus and the only Linux support I can get is through people that have worked very hard to make a working Linux driver. The catch is, it isn't a driver at all. It's just a workaround that allows you to load certain programs with the Nvidia driver.

The project is called Bumblebee and I have been following it for a while and it's quite impressive that they got it working as well as they have. The lack of support from Nvidia is disturbing, though. With UEFI around the corner and essentially a locked bootloader on home PC's, the last thing we need is vendors dropping support for alternative OS's like Linux.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 12:33 PM   #6
Cylphid

Quote:
If it produces work on optimus support, then it will be worth it for a lot of users. I always felt Nvidia had the absolute best linux support, so their reluctance to support that feature is kind of mind boggling.

That said, I think MS is banking a bit too much on growth of the touch screen market for their own good - unless they suddenly unveil a windows tablet mass produced and marketed by......MS.

I've covered 8 with many, many people since the dev preview, and to date, I think mel franks here on the forums is the only avid supporter I've heard from.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 12:45 PM   #7
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
If it produces work on optimus support, then it will be worth it for a lot of users. I always felt Nvidia had the absolute best linux support, so their reluctance to support that feature is kind of mind boggling.

That said, I think MS is banking a bit too much on growth of the touch screen market for their own good - unless they suddenly unveil a windows tablet mass produced and marketed by......MS.

I've covered 8 with many, many people since the dev preview, and to date, I think mel franks here on the forums is the only avid supporter I've heard from.
I'm not certain where, but I could swear I've read recently that MS is going to release their own tablet with Windows 8 on it. Don't quote me on that though.

But yes I do agree, I think MS is putting all their eggs into one basket here, I don't believe touch is going to take over like they imagine, or as quickly as they appear to anticipate.

We'll find out soon enough, that's for sure. IMO worst case scenario is Windows 8 does extremely well on all touch based devices and forces that market to grow, which would be bad news for us still using KB and M. My anticipation, however, is that it'll do great on touch based devices but not well enough to drive sales of those devices through the roof to off-set the loos of traditional KB+M computers. I think Windows 8 will actually be kind of an experiment for MS. They'll see we're just not ready for strictly tough-based computing and with Windows 9 we'll see a division- an OS very much like 8 just for touch-based devices, and a proper Windows for use with a KB and M for desktop and laptop users.

Another thing, kinda' going off topic- Metro looks dumb. What is it with that color scheme? And no transparency? I think at the very least MS could have implemented some really neat 3D effects for the desktop users. If it had more depth and was more 3 dimensional maybe I wouldn't be so opposed to it. Kinda' like the windows key + tab in 7 and vista. So many possibilities there and modern PCs have the horse power to do it so why not?
Old 06-18-12, 12:51 PM   #8
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

I agree with all this. It's a tough change and most users will say why.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-12, 12:53 PM   #9
Bman212121

So.... Without even watching the video he already openly stated that his father wouldn't switch from XP to Windows 7. Why would you possibly think he would just jump all over Windows 8?

@Clyphid: I've barely used the new metro interface and I think it's fine. They should tweak the hot corners slightly to make them a bit easier to trigger but otherwise it worked fine for me. I personally am avoiding these threads as much as I can because it's mostly just the same old drivel of how people hate change.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 12:53 PM   #10
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I'm not certain where, but I could swear I've read recently that MS is going to release their own tablet with Windows 8 on it. Don't quote me on that though.

But yes I do agree, I think MS is putting all their eggs into one basket here, I don't believe touch is going to take over like they imagine, or as quickly as they appear to anticipate.

We'll find out soon enough, that's for sure. IMO worst case scenario is Windows 8 does extremely well on all touch based devices and forces that market to grow, which would be bad news for us still using KB and M. My anticipation, however, is that it'll do great on touch based devices but not well enough to drive sales of those devices through the roof to off-set the loos of traditional KB+M computers. I think Windows 8 will actually be kind of an experiment for MS. They'll see we're just not ready for strictly tough-based computing and with Windows 9 we'll see a division- an OS very much like 8 just for touch-based devices, and a proper Windows for use with a KB and M for desktop and laptop users.

Another thing, kinda' going off topic- Metro looks dumb. What is it with that color scheme? And no transparency? I think at the very least MS could have implemented some really neat 3D effects for the desktop users. If it had more depth and was more 3 dimensional maybe I wouldn't be so opposed to it. Kinda' like the windows key + tab in 7 and vista. So many possibilities there and modern PCs have the horse power to do it so why not?
Cuz MS r dumb.

Now that you mention it I seem to remember something about MS working on a tablet PC too....meh, we'll know for sure soon. I still ain't buying windows 8.
Old 06-18-12, 01:13 PM   #11
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
So.... Without even watching the video he already openly stated that his father wouldn't switch from XP to Windows 7. Why would you possibly think he would just jump all over Windows 8?

@Clyphid: I've barely used the new metro interface and I think it's fine. They should tweak the hot corners slightly to make them a bit easier to trigger but otherwise it worked fine for me. I personally am avoiding these threads as much as I can because it's mostly just the same old drivel of how people hate change.
It isn't so much hating change Bman (for myself anyway) as it is the interface on a non-touch device. I understand that some like it, and I am all for the "under the hood" tweaks. I just love and prefer the standard Win 7 style start menu and option to see desktop first on my non-touch screen laptops.

I have to use KBM anyway, why not leave the option there for us old "legacy users?"
Old 06-18-12, 01:22 PM   #12
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post

It is not that we're opposed to change, Bman- we support change when it works and makes sense. How is Metro easier to navigate than the traditional windows 7 desktop with start menu? I'm asking cause I honestly don't know. Like I said I've yet to actually use 8 for my self so I'm going off of all the videos and screen grabs I've seen. So far it looks like it'd be clumsy at best.