Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-12, 11:40 AM   #1
News

Post Valve On Why Games Could Very Well Fix Education

The first time I ever played Portal was damn near magical. Each room I walked into held promise of some diabolical new assault on both my brain and the laws of physics, but I made them look like child's play. At the time, I was certain it proved I was a genius with an IQ so huge that even my bulging genius brain couldn't count that high. Of course, I soon came to find out that everyoneexperienced Portal that way. So I wasn't a genius. But the puzzle designers at Valve were.

To this day, Portal stands as the most masterful example of invisibly intuitive teaching I've ever discovered. It slowly builds upon itself ' sneaking new techniques into your repertoire until you're snoozing through puzzles that would've short-circuited your synapses maybe 20 minutes earlier. Is it a fit for classrooms, though? My first inclination would be to think not. I mean, it's not exactly a hyper-accurate physics simulation ' even with science jokes making up the bulk of both Portal 1 and 2‚?≤s brilliantly witty dialogue. That, however, is precisely the point, according to Valve director of education Leslie Redd and designer Yasser Malaika. It'showValve games teach ' not what they're teaching ' that could help save a rusty, way-behind-the-times education system.

(more‚?¶)

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote