Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-25-12, 11:25 AM   #13
johnc

Default Re: nvidia driver quality decrease?

The heart of the problem is this...

NVIDIA has like, what, <50% of the desktop Linux market? And Linux has about 1% of the desktop market?

The numbers just aren't there.

As long as the graphics workstation folks and CUDA peeps are reasonably happy, it's hard to justify committing resources to other things.
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 08:10 PM   #14
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by welle View Post
This is not a Windows graphics card and the nvidia linux support is not unoffical.
I guarantee you bought a windows card. Report a bug to your cards manufacturer. I guarantee you will get a "Sorry we only support windows." reply.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 06:26 AM   #15
welle

the quality of the nvidia linux driver is crap compared to the windows driver. Yesterday i compared nouveau with the nvidia blob and the nouveau driver works much better - animations in kde run smooth instead of stuttering . the only disadvantage is that svideo out doesnt work anymore

i think nvidia doesn't want to track the problems on a public bug tracker because it would show that the driver is full of bugs and with this "proof" they couldn't say that they provide high quality linux drivers and there is no need for an open source driver
welle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 10:08 AM   #16
Deanjo

Quote:
the quality of the nvidia linux driver is crap compared to the windows driver. Yesterday i compared nouveau with the nvidia blob and the nouveau driver works much better - animations in kde run smooth instead of stuttering . the only disadvantage is that svideo out doesnt work anymore

i think nvidia doesn't want to track the problems on a public bug tracker because it would show that the driver is full of bugs and with this "proof" they couldn't say that they provide high quality linux drivers and there is no need for an open source driver
Complete opposite experience here. KDE smooth as silk with the blob and unusable with nouveau.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 10:54 AM   #17
cthulhu
Great Old One

The level of support in the nouveau driver differ greatly between different chip generations. The support for the newer Fermi chips is still not optimal.
Laptop: Asus U6V, Core2Duo P8400, 3GB DDR2, 9300M GS
OS on all: Gentoo Linux

Bought a computer bundled with windows? Don't want to use windows? Demand a refund!
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 11:03 AM   #18
johnc

Quote:
IME the nvidia driver doesn't up-clock fast enough for initial smooth animations. When left on the highest setting, animations are always smooth for me.

But if they're never smooth in your case, then there could be a bug somewhere.
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote