Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-11, 09:06 PM   #1
JonnyIncognito

Default Can't get TwinView to work with Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M

I can't get TwinView to work correctly on a Dell Precision M6500 laptop with Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M. I initially tested with the laptop's built-in screen + a LCD connected via the VGA port and subsequently tried with a docking station connected to two LCD panels + laptop screen. It half works with the open-source Nouveau driver (clone only) and half works with the proprietary Nvidia driver, but either cause X lockups on mode-switch or a screen to be blank.

I can't even get nvidia-settings to apply with 3 screens, so the below was all tested with 2 screens.

The symptoms are:

1. Nouveau driver
1.1. Clone works fine, e.g. Ubuntu installer / live trial + installed
1.2. Extended desktop causes either the laptop screen or the panel to be blank

2. Nvidia driver
2.1. Single screen works fine - no problems
2.2. TwinView causes either the laptop screen or the panel to be blank, depending on X configuration. I can easily choose which one ends up being blank by prioritising the other with the "UseDisplayDevice" config option.
2.3. When trying TwinView, the initial mode-switch causes the above #2.2 symptom, then the 2nd mode-switch back causes X to lock up (either automatically via the time-out because I can't see the original dialog box, or choosing to manually switch back). Sometimes I can get nvidia-settings not to fall back by trying to click on the button to keep the changes, but afterwards gnome doesn't accept any input at all ... the mouse cursor moves properly, but clicking does nothing, until X hangs.
2.4. When booting up with TwinView configured and the panel plugged in, the login box ends up on the wrong display.

I've tried the above with fresh installations of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32-bit, Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit and Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2 64-bit. I've tried changing the Nvidia driver from v270.41.07 (that's installed with Ubuntu 11.04) to rolling my own nvidia-current with latest Nvidia stable v275.28, then I also tried the latest v280.13.

I've looked through all the forums, FAQs and Ubuntu help I could find.

Attached is the nvidia-bug-report taken after applying the changes for TwinView in nvidia-settings, but before X locks up. I booted and logged in with 3 screens connected (laptop + 2 external), but told nvidia-settings to apply only with the laptop + 1 external. I also included a screenshot of what happens if I try to apply with 3 screens.

Note that when X locks up, I can still SSH into the machine. Usually X or compiz are eating 100% CPU. I tried with compiz disabled and experience the same issue.

Thanks,

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NvidiaDisplaySettings_08_Failed_to_set_MetaMode.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	43278  
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report_triple-screen_03_applied-changes.log.gz (59.4 KB, 61 views)
JonnyIncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 01:47 AM   #2
rainerklier

Default Re: Can't get TwinView to work with Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M

this is how i have enabled Twinview long time ago.
and it works without any problems since then.
in your xorg.conf or 15-nvidia.conf (or whatever you named it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d) in the device section you have to put lines like these:

Code:
Option       "TwinView" "1"
Option       "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0, DFP-1"
Option       "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1680x1050 +0+0, DFP-1:nvidia-auto-select+1680+0"
Option       "TwinViewOrientation" "DFP-0 LeftOf DFP-1"
in my setup i have the external monitor right of my laptop display.
the external monitor is a DVI connected LCD, therefor it is referenced as "DFP-1".
my internal display has a resolution of 1680x1050.

you only have to change the values to your needs.
this should work.
rainerklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 04:38 PM   #3
JonnyIncognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainerklier View Post
Code:
Option       "TwinView" "1"
Option       "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0, DFP-1"
Option       "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1680x1050 +0+0, DFP-1:nvidia-auto-select+1680+0"
Option       "TwinViewOrientation" "DFP-0 LeftOf DFP-1"
Thanks for the reply. It's not so dissimilar to what nvidia-settings generates. I added the TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder and TwinViewOrientation to my config and tried again, but I get the same problem where one of the screens is blank.

Further to my original post, when X hangs it's because the nvidia-settings times out and tries to go back to the previous config. At this point, X is stick in a loop inside the Nvidia driver. Here's some info that should be able to help if there's anyone from Nvidia reading. Does Nvidia provide debug symbols for specific driver versions on request?

Ltrace shows X looping through these addresses...

--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
unexpected breakpoint at 0x7f6f3d804ad1
unexpected breakpoint at 0x7f6f3d80390a
unexpected breakpoint at 0xffffffffff60014b
unexpected breakpoint at 0x7f6f42028b6f

Strace shows X doing this...

--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
rt_sigreturn(0xe) = 3008
rt_sigreturn(0xe) = -10485376
rt_sigreturn(0xe) = 246140646668550
rt_sigreturn(0xe) = 2361183241434822607

I attach two backtraces from gdb which shows the looping points in extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so.

1. First break
2. Second break - not long after

The common point in both is...

#2 0x00007fed17fed3a9 in ?? () from /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so

Then afterwards, each time I break X it's in one of two places:

#0 0x00007fed17ff390b in ?? () from /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
No symbol table info available.
#1 0x00007fed17ff4b71 in ?? () from /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
#2 0x00007fed17ff4ef9 in ?? () from /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so

#0 0x00007fed17ff4b6b in ?? () from /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
#1 0x00007fed17ff4ef9 in ?? () from /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so

The installed driver version is 270.41.06 64-bit:

# md5sum /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
0694162f8a95c2cbf031a27cee97222f /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so

# ls -l /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6610048 2011-04-20 18:30 /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so

I'm using X.Org X Server 1.10.1 from Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty).

Regards,

Jon
Attached Files
File Type: txt XLoop_BT1.txt (4.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: txt XLoop_BT2.txt (358 Bytes, 65 views)
Old 10-08-11, 05:40 PM   #4
JonnyIncognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyIncognito View Post
Further to my original post, when X hangs it's because the nvidia-settings times out and tries to go back to the previous config. At this point, X is stick in a loop inside the Nvidia driver. Here's some info that should be able to help if there's anyone from Nvidia reading. Does Nvidia provide debug symbols for specific driver versions on request?
I retried this with the latest 64-bit 285.05.09 Nvidia driver and other latest packages from the xorg-edgers PPA, but got the same driver problem. I've attached the later backtraces, which show the same pattern of two places, both through a common code path (0x00007f07e90f2939 in this case):

#0 0x00007f07e90f135b in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
#1 0x00007f07e90f25b1 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
#2 0x00007f07e90f2939 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so

#0 0x00007f07e90f2512 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
#1 0x00007f07e90f2939 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so

Fixing this won't get around the blank screen problem, but would certainly help me to test different configurations without having to reboot the laptop every time.
Attached Files
File Type: txt XLoop_285.05.09_BT1.txt (4.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: txt XLoop_285.05.09_BT2.txt (4.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 06-21-12, 04:48 PM   #5
johnc

Can you post your xorg.conf? It wasn't in the bug report for some reason.

Have you tried the newer 302 series of drivers? The multi-monitor support seems to have undergone some significant changes.

I'm not sure if you can do three monitor support on that GPU.

Problem 2.4 could be a TwinView configuration problem or a common GDM (gnome) bug (easy fix... I just have to dig it up).
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 01:19 AM   #6
JonnyIncognito

Thanks for the reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
Can you post your xorg.conf? It wasn't in the bug report for some reason.

Have you tried the newer 302 series of drivers? The multi-monitor support seems to have undergone some significant changes.
Interesting ref. the latest drivers. It's been a while, so I'll give them a try, let you know how I get on and post my xorg.conf (I did send the config to nvidia-bugs at the time, but not to the forum).

Quote:
I'm not sure if you can do three monitor support on that GPU.
The frustrating thing is that 3-monitor support seemed to work fine in Windows 7. I tried it back when I first got the laptop.

Quote:
Problem 2.4 could be a TwinView configuration problem or a common GDM (gnome) bug (easy fix... I just have to dig it up).
Ok, thanks, please let me know. I'm going to try upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 + get the latest Nvidia drivers and see if anything has changed.
Old 06-26-12, 01:16 PM   #7
JonnyIncognito

Red face Re: Can't get TwinView to work with Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyIncognito View Post
I'm going to try upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 + get the latest Nvidia drivers and see if anything has changed.
I did a fair bit of testing over the weekend, after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 + the 302.17 Nvidia drivers.

It seems that johnc is correct, that my GPU isn't capable of 3-monitor support. It's ATI graphics that can support 3 screens on my Dell Precision laptop.

Focusing on dual-screen support, I found that it all works fine with one extra monitor plugged into the VGA port on the side of the laptop. Although I have experienced the odd hang when switching between dual-screen and single screen.

What doesn't seem to work is any monitor connected through the docking station. If I plug the monitor into the VGA port on the docking station, X gets stuck in a loop in the Nvidia drivers (same as previous comments). If I plug the monitor into either of the two DVI ports on the docking station, the same thing happens. The same problem happens on Windows 7, as well.

So, in conclusion, I have a workable dual-screen solution (without docking station) and if I want to get 3 screens working, I'll need to get an ATI graphics card either by buying a replacement one (they're modular on this laptop - but not easy to source) or by selling this laptop in favour of the same model with ATI.