Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-23-03, 09:50 PM   #1
Hellbinder

Default Time for a Change to the Forum Sections...

I propose that you make these changes to the Forum.

-Open Graphics Discussion Forum

-Nvidia Product Fan Forum

-ATi Product Fan Forum

-XGi Product Fan Forum

-Tech Support Forum

There you have it. Basically the Open Graphics Discussion section will be like the Current Two Nvidia/Non Nvidia Sections combined into one. The Thing that will seperate the Nvidia, ATi, and XGi Fan forums is that No Obnoxious, aggressive, antagonistic, overly debative and other wise Contrary posts will be allowed. Closely moderated (if possible) to make it a clean enjoyable place for each Companies Fanbase. Strict Guidlines and enforcement on what people are allowed to get away with. I would even have a 3 strikes and your out rule for those forums.

It is simply that this Site is becomeing more and more open to all people. Its simply not the Nvidia hang out it used to be. I think its going to become even more Diverse with XGi comming out with compelling products. Lets not forget S3 and PowerVR to. The Open Forum would provide us a place to just post about all the stuff thats intrests us regardless of Company. Imho, it should be the main focal point of Graphics Discussions.

You may want to have a Flame Bait Section to where Threads from any area can be moved.

There you have it
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-03, 09:52 PM   #2
digitalwanderer

Now hold on just a minute!

That's twice in a row now I've caught you being all reasonable.

Who the hell are you and what have you done with the real Hellbinder?!?!?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-03, 10:06 PM   #3
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default ...

good idea, but it does still seem to me that the out of the box drivers that ship with these cards may determine their fate... and we don't know much about drivers with these cards yet, rite?

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-03, 10:32 PM   #4
The Baron

Hey waitaminute, we don't need to rip off B3D you know
Old 09-23-03, 10:46 PM   #5
Hellbinder

Quote:
Hey waitaminute, we don't need to rip off B3D you know
B3D does not offer closely moderated Fan Forums. Where you are allowed to be as Biased an idiot about your Card as you always wanted to be. With no fear of being flamed into Burning cinders.

B3D does not have an open Graphics forum either.

They have these

-3D Technology and Hardware
-3d hardware and detailed techno geek stuff
-3D Graphics Boards and Drivers
-3D Graphics Companies and Industry

What i am talking about is clearly different with its own flavor completely.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Old 09-23-03, 10:50 PM   #6
The Baron

Mkay. Taken under consideration, along with the 250 other things I have under consideration at the moment.
Old 09-24-03, 12:35 AM   #7
volt

There is no need for XGI forum now.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-03, 01:27 AM   #8
Hellbinder

Well. I said XGi because they are launching a Complete Product line from top to bottom and will be a legit 3rd contendor. I fealt it showed good advanced acceptance of their effort.

Heck im going to pick one up.

Its just been a 2 Horse race for so long it would really be nice to at least acknowledge a third party in the forums. Plus if they go Big you guys can have braggin rights for being so forward looking and ahead of the game
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Catalyst 4.2

Old 09-24-03, 03:30 AM   #9
StealthHawk

An interesting idea.

Of course this statement is worrisome to me: "The Thing that will seperate the Nvidia, ATi, and XGi Fan forums is that No Obnoxious, aggressive, antagonistic, overly debative and other wise Contrary posts will be allowed. "

What is obnoxious, aggressive, et al to some is not to others. Just who decides what is "overly debative?"

I think having pure fanboy forums is an invitation for mass banning. Some people just like to cause trouble. Others are disgruntled fans. I also forsee a lot of misplaced topics. Even now there are constant Linux threads, Detonator threads, hardware rumor threads, and non-NVIDIA graphics card threads being posted in the NVIDIA section. How hard is it to post in the right forum? Yet I see misplaced threads daily. How easy will it be to enforce only pro-NVIDIA fanboy threads be placed in the proposed NVIDIA fan section? Let alone discussions that may eventually turn "sour." I think it will be extremely hard to make things flow smoothly.

I do understand that some people want a place where they don't have to hear anything negative about their products, whether it be FUD or the truth. I understand that some people also don't want to acknowledge products from other companies. Ideally these people could have a place of their own and would be able to live without "persecution." But will such a utopian forum structure really work...I have seen some people removed from this community for stepping over the bounds who provided valuable input. They broke the rules and they're gone, nothing to say about that. But I question how wise it would be to set up things that would promote the loss of forum members.
Old 09-24-03, 09:34 AM   #10
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Yep, Hellbinder's idea doesn't look that bad, but it would kinda be like having a 'Racists Street' in a town, I think.
There are simple rules and people must learn to respect them, or leave. Fanboyism seem to be slowly disappearing lately, by the way. It's never been that unbearable to me, anyway. My 2 cents...

mrsabidji

edit : missing words and stuffs... I should read my prose twice before posting it

Last edited by mrsabidji; 09-24-03 at 09:43 AM.
mrsabidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-03, 09:36 AM   #11
Hellbinder

If they are not mature enough to know to stay out of the enemy camp then they deserve to get tossed out. Especially with a 3 strikes rule and an Open Forum for Debate.

Of course there was my idea for a Flame bait Section where the non banworthy stuff got moved to. Then the offenders could Finish their little diatribe in there.

Here is the issue.

I like to Debate. I Like to really go at it in discussions. The problem is that there are people out there who cant handle the intense discussion. They come and post "I like my new 5600 benmchmarks" or some thing and are immidiately answered by 10 people with something else to say. No its not always ATi people. much of the time these days its people who were staunch Nvidia people until a short while ago.

When this happens the place just feels antagonistic to those people. They see Nvnews on the Door. They See Nvidia on the Furum. However the majority of posters are not happy Nvidia users.

While i like debate, i dont like the fact that nearly every thread gets turned into some intense debate or flame war. Specifically becuase I feel bad for those poor guys who just bought an FX and want to post happy thoughts about it.

Most of the people here post in the Nvidia Forum, not the "Other" Forum. Because most of the topics of interest revolve around Nvidia and whats happening to them today. However its all more like Open Debate about it all, what it means etc, than being strictly relating to Nvidia.

The Central place of Discussion here should be an Open Graphics Forum. Where Nvidias Shenanigans can be debated into the ground right beside Talk of XGi, or the R360. Without The perception that the kelts have crossed over and are attacking the southern Border.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Catalyst 4.2
Old 09-24-03, 09:43 AM   #12
The Baron

Quote:
While i like debate, i dont like the fact that nearly every thread gets turned into some intense debate or flame war. Specifically becuase I feel bad for those poor guys who just bought an FX and want to post happy thoughts about it.

you mean to tell me you DON'T like flamewars?

This is crazy. Completely crazy. Holy Mackerel Crazy.

And Stealth, it's not like we don't ban often anyway. Warning PMs don't do much good when most people don't read them. *sigh* About half of my warning PMs get read within a month or two of sending them. The rest merely sit in Limbo.

I dunno. I think it's not a bad idea, but a Huge Giant Switch isn't probably the best idea at the moment. Maybe when things calm down a bit...