Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-24-03, 06:29 AM   #1
joback

Default TV-out works with CRT+TV but not with DFP+TV. Bug?

Hi all.

I've successfully configured tv-out to work when my DFP monitor is connected through the VGA cable. But if I connect the monitor through the DVI cable and change the "ConnectedMonitor" option in my XF86Config from "CRT,TV" to "DFP,TV" the tv-out no longer works properly.

Apparently the nvidia driver thinks that the TV should be the primary monitor and the DFP the secondary. The driver assigns the hsync and vrefresh options meant for the DFP to the TV and vice versa. This messes up the modes for both displays and I can only get 1024x768 at most on my DFP. The native resolution on my DFP is 1280x1024
and anything else looks fuzzy.

Attached is my XF86Config and the log files for both CRT+TV and DFP+TV.

My graphics card is an MSI Ti4200-VTD8X (8894), I'm using the latest nvidia drivers for linux (1.0-4496) and my DFP is an Hitachi CML174SXW.
The OS is RedHat 9 with all available upgrades and patches.

Please help if you can and thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.tv-out.txt (3.5 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by joback; 09-24-03 at 06:41 AM.
joback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-03, 06:30 AM   #2
joback

Since there appears to be limit of one attachment per post, here's my CRT+TV log file. This is the configuration that works.
Attached Files
File Type: log crt_tv.log (32.6 KB, 189 views)
Old 09-24-03, 06:31 AM   #3
joback

And here's the log file for DFP+TV. This configuration doesn't work.
Attached Files
File Type: log dfp_tv.log (32.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 10-11-03, 05:53 AM   #4
joback

Hi again.

No replies so far

Does anyone have a working DVI+TV-OUT setup? Could you please post your XF86Config and X log file.

If anyone from nVidia (Andy?) wants me to provide more info or try something I'll be more than happy to help.
Old 10-12-03, 01:48 AM   #5
ricercar
fugue master

It appears your hardware cannot support DVI+TV. It appears your video card hardware can deliver TV+VGA or DVI+VGA.

NVIDA GPUs have have two video ports, DACA and DACB. The NVIDIA reference design has TV always on DACB. Your card appears to have the VGA port on DACA and and DVI/TV on DACB.
Old 10-12-03, 04:59 AM   #6
joback

Well here comes the obligatory "it works in windows"® post. Which it does, no problems there, DVI+TV works fine.

But if the hardware works as you say maybe it's an oversight on nVidia's part, if the driver assumes that TV-OUT will be used only with VGA.

But thanks for your reply, all suggestions and thoughts are welcome.
Old 10-12-03, 01:44 PM   #7
ricercar
fugue master

OK, so here's my Oblgatory Retraction™ saying your hardware obviously DOES support what you want in Linux. I've learned something new today.

Since DVI+TV works in Windows, then my guess is that the Windows driver changes the DACA port such that either (VGA or DVI) connector can work with port A, with TV remaining on Port B. The Linux driver perhaps does not allocate ports this way. But since I'm guessing now, I'll shut up.
Old 10-12-03, 02:20 PM   #8
joback

Quote:
Originally posted by ricercar
It appears your hardware cannot support DVI+TV. It appears your video card hardware can deliver TV+VGA or DVI+VGA.

NVIDA GPUs have have two video ports, DACA and DACB. The NVIDIA reference design has TV always on DACB. Your card appears to have the VGA port on DACA and and DVI/TV on DACB.
One more thing though. I assume the DAC's your talking about are Digital to Analog Converters , for which there is no need when I connect my monitor through the DVI port. At least I think this is how it works. Anyways, back to writing bug reports to nVidia...

Old 10-12-03, 03:16 PM   #9
ricercar
fugue master

You're exactly correct that DVI doesn't use a digital-to-analog converter. However, the NVIDIA OEM design guides use the term DACA and DACB for the two video output ports from a GPU, even when it's used on a digital TMDS/LVDS connection, and I'm used to using DACA/DACB terminology.

Last edited by ricercar; 10-12-03 at 03:20 PM.
ricercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-04, 05:35 AM   #10
chareos

Default Re: TV-out works with CRT+TV but not with DFP+TV. Bug?

For me, Same problem nowadays w/ 5336 and 6106 ...
no solution ?
chareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-04, 10:10 AM   #11
Thunderbird

The problem that the screens get switched in case of DFP+TV is normal. It is a sort of hardware limitation. On windows some weird hacks are I think used to switch them around. Not sure how easy it would become to add this to the linux drivers as it needs to notify the linux console about it too somehow.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-04, 07:11 PM   #12
jerickson314

This might explain the behavior of my cards, even though I don't use DVI at all. My monitor is a flat panel but with only a VGA connector. My cards that had three video ports both gave me corrupted consoles. One card (MX440) had VGA and two TV-Outs (RCA and S-Video), and the other (FX5200) had VGA, S-Video, and DVI, as described here. The latter is what I am currently using. I did notice that the corrupted consoles always give me a resolution of 720x400, according to my monitor. Might I be getting a TV-Out signal transmitted over VGA? Using "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT" with "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV" fixes the problem, but using only "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV" does not. On my FX5200 card with only two connectors (VGA and S-Video) the problem did not occur. Could the DACA/DACB sharing be the root cause of the problem?

Also, I do not use the TV-Out at all. No cables are connected to it.
jerickson314 is offline   Reply With Quote