Default We apologize

We are sorry
Linus gets kind of carried away sometimes
please don't hold it against us
SteveBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 11:44 AM   #2
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke
Default Re: We apologize

I posted my thoughts in another thread but they remain the same.

#1 Linus does NOT speak for the rest of us Linux guys.
#2 NVIDIA has provided me (for many years!) the best performance/experience in Linux bar none.

Any questions?
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 01:51 PM   #3
jesmith

Speak for yourself, SteveBean. NVIDIA needs to start supporting Optimus properly. Bumblebee is crap that doesn't work. I really don't care whether NVIDIA's drivers are open or proprietary, but I do care whether I can run Linux on a notebook with a discrete graphics chip.

I've been trying everything under the sun, and I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that you cannot, today, buy a notebook with a discrete NVIDIA chip that will run Linux. They *all* use Optimus, and Optimus *does not work* in Linux.

The fundamental defect with bumblebee is that it assumes you can run the chip headless, but GeForce chips won't run headless (only Quaddro chips do that). There was a work-around where you would tell the GeForce chip to pretend it had a CRT, but that doesn't work with the latest drivers and chips.

So bumblebee doesn't work. And hence Linux cannot use the NVIDIA chips AT ALL.

NVIDIA has given the Linux-on-notebooks community the old heave 'ho, and saying they contribute to ARM is completely irrelevant.
jesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 01:55 PM   #4
OneEyedMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
I posted my thoughts in another thread but they remain the same.

#1 Linus does NOT speak for the rest of us Linux guys.
#2 NVIDIA has provided me (for many years!) the best performance/experience in Linux bar none.

Any questions?
Yes. Question on point #2: Why are you settling for an "always-on" nVidia card? That's right, you are settling. You could have the option to use either Intel IG to save electricity -or- a discrete card for more power. But you probably also leave the faucet water running when you brush your teeth too, eh?
OneEyedMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 02:10 PM   #5
Gusar

And the over-dramatizing award goes to...
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 07:05 PM   #6
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedMule View Post
Yes. Question on point #2: Why are you settling for an "always-on" nVidia card? That's right, you are settling. You could have the option to use either Intel IG to save electricity -or- a discrete card for more power. But you probably also leave the faucet water running when you brush your teeth too, eh?
I wont use Intel integrated crap in anything except a laptop. I'm the person that uses 480's and 680's in Linux. Again without issue.

There are many power users who actually prefer their workstation to any silly limiting laptop. I use a netbook for working onsite and thats about it, its workstation for everything else.

As for saving power, it hit 34C in Toronto today, there's no saving any electricity unless you want to suffer....

Also, did I not mention I do most of my gaming in Linux too? Yeah, discrete card makes sense....
Playing Diablo 3 @ 2560x1440 @100Hz with a YAMAKASI Catleap.... while my second monitor still allows me to get work done. Laptop what?

Plenty of good reasons to "settle" on a high-end discrete video card....
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 07:58 AM   #7
tadawson

Yet, Ironically, I sit here in front of a Lenovo W520 laptop, with the Quadro 1000M chipset, with Optimus, running bone stock nVidia drivers from 275 to 320, and they all run it pretty much flawlessly.

My point is not that Optimus is necessarily good, but to point out the idiocy of your comment that "You can't buy a notebook with a discrete NVIDIA chip that will run Linux"

Wrong, plain and simple . . . . The Lenovo BIOS lets you select the Integratd, Discrete, or Optimus . . . simply set to discrete, load up the nVidia driver, and you are off to the races . . .

So, from a hardware perspective, at least Lenovo got it right!

- Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmith View Post
Speak for yourself, SteveBean. NVIDIA needs to start supporting Optimus properly. Bumblebee is crap that doesn't work. I really don't care whether NVIDIA's drivers are open or proprietary, but I do care whether I can run Linux on a notebook with a discrete graphics chip.

I've been trying everything under the sun, and I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that you cannot, today, buy a notebook with a discrete NVIDIA chip that will run Linux. They *all* use Optimus, and Optimus *does not work* in Linux.

The fundamental defect with bumblebee is that it assumes you can run the chip headless, but GeForce chips won't run headless (only Quaddro chips do that). There was a work-around where you would tell the GeForce chip to pretend it had a CRT, but that doesn't work with the latest drivers and chips.

So bumblebee doesn't work. And hence Linux cannot use the NVIDIA chips AT ALL.

NVIDIA has given the Linux-on-notebooks community the old heave 'ho, and saying they contribute to ARM is completely irrelevant.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 08:21 AM   #8
MikeC
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: We apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBean View Post
We are sorry
Linus gets kind of carried away sometimes
please don't hold it against us
Thank you.

Please keep this discussion civil and provide constructive feedback to NVIDIA and the Linux community. I'm certain NVIDIA will read this thread, but it's unlikely they will have the time to respond.

Thanks,
MikeC
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-12, 01:49 PM   #9
briohewi

To Nvidia,
Thanks for your linux graphics driver, especially VDPAU which gives me rock solid HD video.
briohewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 04:38 AM   #10
piotrq__

My pointless-threads-o-meter has been way up in the red zone lately. What the heck, guys?
piotrq__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 04:54 PM   #11
hussam

torvalds needs to make up his mind lol. wasn't he years ago against the idea of blocking loading of out of tree modules?
sounds to me like he will argue against anything just for the sake of arguing.
hussam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 09:29 PM   #12
MikeC
Administrator

Based on the low number of responses in this thread, I'd say that NVIDIA is doing a great job supporting Linux.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote