Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-02-12, 06:46 PM   #1
mapota

Default Video Screen goes Blank for a few Seconds

I have a problem that I "think" is related to the nVidia drivers.

The system is a mythbuntu 12.04 LTS System. The hardware is a Zotac IONITX A-C system with a Rev B1 ION system.

The nVidia Drivers I have installed currently are 295.59. I have tried the standard and proprietry driver (I think that is the right term).

The box is primarily used as a MythTV frontend using a HDMI connection. I am seeing the video go blank for approximately 5 - 8 seconds at a time. The audio signal, when present is still working. i say when present as i have seen the screen go blank even when at the myth tv menus. I do not recall the screne going blank when at the desktop, though the amount of time I am at the desktop is very small.

I have mythtv set up to use VDPAU Normal as this was suggested as the best setting.

The blanking is infrequent but extremely annoying when it does happen and WAF is diminishing.

A mythtV developer has suggested I should revert back to version 270.* of the nVidia drivers.

My question I suppose is where do I go to from here. I have tried downloading the 270.41.19 driver version but had trouble installing that driver. The sections on installing drivers on this forum suggest that installing on an ubuntu based system could be problematic, Should I be trying to locate older versions of the distribution releases??

I am happy to try some suggestions, although I am new to Linux, but not computing in general, and will endeavor to provide any information that is required.

Thank you for your patience and any help you can give.
mapota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 03:49 PM   #2
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Video Screen goes Blank for a few Seconds

Do you know why specifically the MythTV developer suggested that reverting to 270 would fix that particular issue? If there's any resource with more information about that specific issue it'd be helpful if he could point us towards it.
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 04:59 PM   #3
mapota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagman View Post
Do you know why specifically the MythTV developer suggested that reverting to 270 would fix that particular issue? If there's any resource with more information about that specific issue it'd be helpful if he could point us towards it.
Sorry, I do not know why the developer suggested moving back to that particular version or in fact any version at all.

With the ION GPU on this board being, i believe, one of the first generation I suspected that it wasn't such a bad idea.

As for references to specific resouces for that decision, sorry but I cannot help as none were supplied to me.

I have just rebuilt the mythbuntu box from scratch and have selected the nVidia proprietary drivers. I will see how these go and update details as I know them.

Any pointers on what data to obtain to assist in locating this issue, would be appreciated. I did try to run the nvidia-bug-report.sh but it came up as unknown program. I assume it is not part of the ubuntu drivers?

If I use the following

# If you use bash:
export VDPAU_TRACE=1
export VDPAU_NVIDIA_DEBUG=3

# If you use csh:
setenv VDPAU_TRACE 1
setenv VDPAU_NVIDIA_DEBUG 3

would that provide better logging maybe??

Andrew
Old 07-04-12, 03:23 AM   #4
mapota

OK just started using the system again and it is blanking very often whilst in mythtv. It is blanking even when at the menus.

Decided to update to the "post-release updates" version of the driver, but not before running nvidia-bug-report.sh. I have uploaded the file.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (48.0 KB, 46 views)