Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-28-03, 09:20 PM   #1
digitalwanderer

Exclamation New nForce drivers, 2.64 dated 9/26/03

I've been hearing rumors about nVidia having new IDE drivers going thru the WHQL process for a while, and sure enough some bright puppy over at warp2search has found some new nForce drivers.

They're on Asus' FTP, or you can directly get the 2k/xp version here and the 9x/me version here.

( First posted on Elite Bastards here, but I posted the whole thing here too since I thought some peeps here might want to see it and then I just added the link here at the bottom out of a sense of pimpage. )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-03, 09:23 PM   #2
The Baron

Performance delta? Are they stable?

I'm not going to use IDE drivers until I know those two things.
Old 09-28-03, 09:30 PM   #3
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Performance delta? Are they stable?

I'm not going to use IDE drivers until I know those two things.
I just got done downloading, I'm gonna install & if you don't hear from me in a while it means DON'T install 'em!

(But I've heard the IDE drivers going thru WHQL actually FIX the IDE problems and give great performance...but that's probably from nVidia too... )

Wish me luck!

EDITED BITS: Here's the readme.txt
Quote:
This nForce Win9x/ME driver package contains the below components:

Audio driver 3.62 (WHQL)
Ethernet driver 3.39 (WHQL)
GART driver 3.34 (WHQL)
SMBus driver 3.38 (WHQL)
Installer 3.65
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 09-28-03, 09:44 PM   #4
digitalwanderer

Didn't appear to break nothing and Bubbles just ran 3dm2k1se just peachy, looked pretty quick too. (I've been playing with OCing so I ain't got a good baseline, but it's in the high-end of the ballpark for where I think it should be. )

Go try, tell me what ya think of the XP!

EDITED BITS: DAMN IT! Look at the XP readme!
Quote:
Audio driver 3.62 (WHQL)
Ethernet driver 3.46 (WHQL)
GART driver 3.34 (WHQL)
SMBus driver 3.38 (WHQL)
IDE driver (In-the-box) 3.43 (WHQL)
Installer 3.65
XP gets a new IDE driver...
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Last edited by digitalwanderer; 09-28-03 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-28-03, 09:56 PM   #5
The Baron

Yes, I'll happily be a guinea pig for new IDE drivers.... er, wait, no, I'm not insane.
Old 09-28-03, 10:29 PM   #6
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Yes, I'll happily be a guinea pig for new IDE drivers.... er, wait, no, I'm not insane.
Oh, go ahead! I really did hear they're pretty good and I think you'll like 'em.

I'd do it, but my XP install is pretty hosed...I was mucking around trying to teach myself how to tweak it and tweaked it a bit too much. I'm putting off a re-install until the middle of next week, just in case.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 09-28-03, 10:32 PM   #7
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Well I ain't gonna test 'em. The 2.45 drivers are working swell for me. Only way I'll try is if others are reporting better responsiveness and complete stability.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-03, 04:20 PM   #8
Red Dog
Join Norml today!

I like Warhead's 2.45a mix,

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31490

http://www.mwarhead.com/

the new open al driver sounds great.

The End.
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-03, 04:34 PM   #9
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
I like Warhead's 2.45a mix,

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31490

http://www.mwarhead.com/

the new open al driver sounds great.
Woo-hoo! And they have a 98se set, thanks!
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]