Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-15-02, 10:04 PM   #1
Lawrence DeLeon

Default Segmentation Fault on RH 7.3

I am running Red Hat 7.3, and can barely spell Linux. Please don't tell me to run a script or change a file's contents without telling me how to do that.

I downloaded NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm, got out of X, and issued the command "rpm -ivh" followed by the entire kernel filename. I got numerous indications of dependency errors, but the thing ended up saying it had installed successfully. I issued the same command, this time using the "GLX" filename. It said it installed successfully, but also said there was a "segmentation fault".

I repeated the two installs in the same order, and each said the NVIDIA driver was already installed. However, the segmentation fault error was repeated.

Since it was obvious I was already in trouble, I did NOT alter the XF86Config file. Indeed, I'm not even sure how to do that, although I think an editor called "pico" will work.

However, I did physically install the Arcade FX TNT-2 NVIDIA AGP video card, and rebooted. I was offered a chance to reconfigure my video card, but the attempts fail, and I end up selecting "Quit". That reboot placed me on a console screen.

I have XFree86.0.log and XFree86.9.log files.
I have XF86Config and XF86Config-4 files.

I installed several other packages successfully, but did that through the Kpackage manager in KDE.

I am able to boot into a console, but am corresponding with this forum via Windows machines. I have choosen to remain on the console screen pending knowledge of an appropriate course of action.

Suggestions would be appreciated. In the meantime, I am reading any material that seems relevant.

Thank you to anyone who cares to help.
Old 09-15-02, 10:07 PM   #2
theroice

How did you download the files? I'm probably greener than anyone here, and downloaded by FTP off of download.nvidia.com, but didn't know to set BINARY before downloading. If you did the same thing, it'll download via ASCII, and mess up the RPMs. Just type "binary" before getting anything, if you're FTPing.
Otherwise...no idea :/

Good luck.
Old 09-15-02, 10:12 PM   #3
Lawrence DeLeon

I downloaded in Konqueror (spelling?), and saw no indication that a "binary" setting was called for. I have a backup which I may be able to reach on a CD ROM, if I can mount it in a console. It was downloaded on a Windows 2000 machine in an excellent product called FTP Voyager, and then burned to CD.
Old 09-16-02, 11:31 AM   #4
Lawrence DeLeon

Addendum: I retried the rpm commands for the two files. Both said that the driver was already installed. The segmentation message was not displayed. However, when I boot the screen remains blank for a while, then tells me that "X" is spooling too rapidly, and is being disabled for 5 minutes. After a short wait I hit the enter key, am asked for a login, and end up at a console command line.
Old 09-16-02, 11:42 AM   #5
BLASTER_

did you update the kernel?

use
rpm -Uvh packagename.i386.rpm

(the U stands for install OR update or.. "Uhh do the right thing")

the kernel version your currentaly running needs to match exactaly to the module. (if not you can try installing the nv-kernel tar ball.)

youl want to configure the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.. the other one is for compatability with an older version of XFree, that you wont need.

if you haddent updated the kernel, you shouldent have too much trouble. (unless you have a 440 MX card.. im convinced mines broken)

to remove them try
rpm -e packagename (no.i386.rpm.. just "name")

that "spooling" too quick is -usualy- a misconfigured xfree86-4 file.. try this to get some more inft.

wait for spool and x to disable.
login.
type startx
view errors.
then run these two commands and post the output here.

grep WW /var/log/XFree86.0.log
grep EE /var/log/XFree86.0.log

(those will display the warnings and errors out of the log file)

Last edited by BLASTER_; 09-16-02 at 11:51 AM.
BLASTER_ is offline   Reply With Quote