Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-03, 10:06 AM   #25
VMUNIX

Send a message via ICQ to VMUNIX

Well, my mobo "supports" AGP 8X as well as the card does, it's a Gainward Gf-4 MX440 128Mb DDR 8X AGP,
The System:
EPOX 8K9A9I
Athlon XP2000
256 DDR PC3200 (but running at 266Mhz)
AGP 8X enabled
APIC disabled
apmd disabled at boot time

I will try setting the AGP at 2X (yuck!)
but first I'll try with Spark solution and a fresh instalation of RH9, because I had release 8 and upgraded to 9.............I'm so paranoid now that I'm starting to think that the actual position of stars and planets have a negative influence in nVidia and RedHat linux.
VMUNIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 10:18 AM   #26
pdavid

lol! True. I must have done the Voodoo dance about 20 times around my machine to see if it was bad juujuu. (Early CD-writers anyone? JuuJuu dance to avoid coasters?)
Old 10-06-03, 11:27 AM   #27
MadMikeSS

Well, I hate to burst any bubbles, but I experienced the same problem with fresh installs of both RH9 and Mandrake 9.1. And I don't experience any issues with AGP 4x in windows. Only when I use the nvidia drivers in linux. AGP 4x works with the stock nv driver.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 12:46 PM   #28
Spark

Quote:
Originally posted by pdavid
thought i would chime in with my current status.

If I enable 4X agp in my bios, then try to boot windows, i get the same thing as I get in linux. Screen freeze as soon as I boot. (of course, in windows, no mouse either).

This is a hard lock, with no escape other than a hard reboot.

Is this is a display lock or a full-grown hard lock? Can you ssh (ping) your machine? What about your num-lock LED?
I.e. does the display driver take the graphics card down or does it kill the kernel as well?

And, any news on that fan of yours?
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 01:31 PM   #29
VMUNIX

Talking

In my case the X freezes completely except the mouse cursor, no keyboard, no keyb. leds, nothing, but the computer is still running I haven tried but I'm sure I can ssh at it, even the hard drive still R/Ws but who cares, it´s funny because when I try to play ut2003, which I must say have spectacular effects and graphics, suddenly the mouse and keyboard stop responding, I got killed of course, and can't respawn again because the mouse doesn't work, most of the time the game keep running and the bots kill each other without me
Old 10-06-03, 01:40 PM   #30
MadMikeSS

Quote:
Originally posted by VMUNIX
In my case the X freezes completely except the mouse cursor, no keyboard, no keyb. leds, nothing, but the computer is still running I haven tried but I'm sure I can ssh at it, even the hard drive still R/Ws but who cares, it´s funny because when I try to play ut2003, which I must say have spectacular effects and graphics, suddenly the mouse and keyboard stop responding, I got killed of course, and can't respawn again because the mouse doesn't work, most of the time the game keep running and the bots kill each other without me

The X freeze up is exactly what I experience too. When it happens I can still move my mouse and ssh in and reboot the computer from the ssh login. And also noted is that when X freezes, it's eating up 99% of CPU and can't be killed for some reason.
Old 10-06-03, 02:43 PM   #31
capstone737

Default Similar problem here..

I am also using RH9 with an FX5600 and I too get lockups. Mine are somewhat random though and in most cases T have been able to telnet in and shut it down in an orderly fashion.

A much more annoying problem is that X just dies in the middle of anything and when it respawns I am presented with a logon screen. Obviously all work is lost.

I have read all the postings and it would seem that the most likely cause is that the driver is buggy. Has anyone brought this to Nvidia's attention? Do they read these posts?

Regards,
Brad
capstone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 03:58 PM   #32
VMUNIX

I don't know if they read this, but I'm sure there must be people for whom this driver works, not my case, I don't know if this driver works in most cases with RH9 (Mandrake is also RedHat based distro) and we are just the minority, or if there is really a problem in RedHat 9 perhaps 8 too and the nVidia driver.

want to laugh? (or cry) read this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_20030328_6790.html

page 4, item 2

Old 10-06-03, 04:57 PM   #33
Spark

Well, they're still right. Ever tried using ATI drivers? I just remember something about compiling X4.2 myself and applying "a couple of minor patches". By hand. Might have changed now, but kept me from ever trying again.

Anyway. I'm running RH7.3, with a 2.4.20 series kernel and X 4.2.1 though. I can't imagine anything but the kernel and maybe X having any impact on the drivers.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 04:57 PM   #34
MadMikeSS

Haha... That's because they are the only ones who actually write drivers for linux... It's easy to be an industry leader when you are the only one.
Old 10-06-03, 06:25 PM   #35
guill

Default Please, help us out!!!

I'm one more having the same problem: semi-random display lockups (only mouse working in froze screen, unique solution - reboot), eventhought have different soft and hardware components: GeForce2MX, RH8-KDE,Pentium4 1.5GHz, 256RAM.
...And once after a long lockup in linux I rebooted to winxp and it just lockup also there (as occurred with somebody else here)....
Plese Help us out!!! nVidia or anybody!
Thx.)
guill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 08:55 PM   #36
psiegel

Thought I'd toss my hat in as well. I'm using a GeForce 5600 Go and have a similar issue, though the details vary a bit. I don't get an nvidia logo or mouse cursor, just the frozen blank screen. I've found a very bizarre work-around in my case. It's a dual boot, and if I boot first to Windows and then do a soft reboot into RedHat, it works just fine.

Here's the link to my thread for anyone who hasn't already read it:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=18900

You bring up an excellent point though. Is anyone from NVidia reading this? Is there a more formal process for submitting a bug?

Paul
psiegel is offline   Reply With Quote