Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-03, 09:53 PM   #37
VMUNIX

Send a message via ICQ to VMUNIX

The nVidia logo is just a splash screen that appears when X starts for a second or two, (Like Voodoo when you launched a 3Dfx enabled game, remember?)

Now, another weird thing , I just booted Linux, it hunged in 20 seconds or so, like always, and after that I re-booted in Windows Me , and it loaded in 640x480x16 colors !!!!!!! somebody explain me this please
VMUNIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 09:57 PM   #38
pdavid

Okay. Seriously. I just had a little problem and was hoping that perhaps someone might be able to help me out. Now here we are over 1000 views later, and look at the turnout! (Theres a damn good reason for lovin linux... community!)

Someone posted a link to a thread that offered the idea of installing the nvidia drivers with the -n option (to not use anything precompiled). Has anyone tried this with success?

I will try it out tomorrow myself, so I'll get back to everyone and let you all know how its going.

I am still running stable in 2X agp mode (if this helps anyone, let us know), and it has been many days and many reboots. But seriously, does anyone spend 150 on a vid card to run at 2x?! Here's still hoping that we find a solution everyone.
Old 10-07-03, 06:32 AM   #39
capstone737

Default Report the problem...

It seems as though we have a common set of problems here. I recommend posting a report to:

linux-bugs@nvidia.com

If enough people do it, perhaps they will respond and fix the problem.

Regards,
Brad
capstone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 12:01 PM   #40
psiegel

Ok, I've sent them as detailed a report as I could of my own findings. Does anyone know how long NVidia goes between driver updates?
psiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 12:45 PM   #41
DrCode

Default Same problem with Gentoo

This is another 'me too'. I just bought a Shuttle SN41G2 with the Nforce2 chipset, and installed the latest Gentoo Linux from their CD's, which also included the latest Nvidia drivers. The audio and network work perfectly, but the video is showing the same problem I've seen posted here. If I use the open-source version ("nv" as the device in XF86config), X starts up with no problems. But if I change it to "nvidia" (and load "glx"), the screen seems to freeze in text mode with a bunch of random graphics characters, and all I can do is reboot with ctrl-alt-delete. There are no errors in the Xfree log file, and the last line indicates that it's about to set the mode to 1280x1024 (what I specified). I've tried various suggestions that people have posted, but none have any effect.

Since this is a brand-new installation, I'm willing to experiment, but I'm out of suggestions.
DrCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 01:04 PM   #42
VMUNIX

Send a message via ICQ to VMUNIX
Lightbulb

I think a good idea would be to submit an error/bug/support request/whatever including this thread to nVidia, perhaps they can find a pattern in our problem, and may be we could start a new thread detailing in brief, platform, video adapter, OS version, and symptom

that way they can trace the problem "easier"
VMUNIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 01:14 PM   #43
pdavid

I have already submitted my email to nvidia (per the email address above). As was stated earlier, it does sound like a good idea to let them know about it (i also included a link to this thread).

Starting a new thread with details sounds like a good idea, though.
Old 10-08-03, 05:48 AM   #44
proz

Default nvnet

plop
I have a little pb with my nforce mothercard drivers, eth0 can't be load because he doesn't find nvnet .
Is it a modul ? a patch ?
And, of course, my videocard doesn't work...
It's boring, I had the same pb with mdk 9.1...
can u help me ?
(euh...my english is so approximative, please use simple vocabulary )
tx

Last edited by proz; 10-08-03 at 06:19 AM.
proz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-03, 08:06 AM   #45
pdavid

Default Re: nvnet

Quote:
Originally posted by proz
plop
I have a little pb with my nforce mothercard drivers, eth0 can't be load because he doesn't find nvnet .
Is it a modul ? a patch ?
And, of course, my videocard doesn't work...
It's boring, I had the same pb with mdk 9.1...
can u help me ?
(euh...my english is so approximative, please use simple vocabulary )
tx
You may have better results if you start a new thread with this problem. Many people may miss your questions because it is at the end of this thread.

Sorry, but I do not have any experience with nforce boards. I am sure someone here could help you, though!
Old 10-08-03, 12:23 PM   #46
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

Quote:
Originally posted by pdavid
If i am using the nvidia drivers, and start the machine up, the fan on the vidcard spins along happily. but the minute X starts up, the fan stops!
That's quite bizzare and sounds like a power management issue. I noticed you disabled APIC earlier. Re-enable it and instead disable ACPI and APM instead in your Linux kernel (Looks like your BIOS didn't have a menu option to toggle power management, correct?).
Old 10-08-03, 12:30 PM   #47
DrCode

Default ACPI: worked

Turning off ACPI did the trick for me, and I still have APM enabled. This is with kernel 2.4.20. The only downside is I have to press the power button after shutting down.

This could just as well be a bug in the Linux kernel as in Nvidia's driver. I may have read something about later kernels having some fixes for ACPI.
DrCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 01:06 PM   #48
pdavid

So time to learn to recompile my kernel I guess...

Well, if it gets me what I need, then onward ho!

I am still a huge linux newbie, and building a kernel was on my next list of things to try. Guess I'll roll my shirt sleeves up and hope for the best. Any good guides or how-to's on re-compiling a kernel?